Starter cable

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolson7560

Reaction score
Yesterday I took the starter cable off the starter to clean the connection....now all I get is a "click" when I hit the starter. Did I screw up the starter? I DID get a slow "grunt" from it, (like the battery was dead even though it's been on a charger all night), when I tried wiggeling the cable. It seems that the stud that goes into the starter turns. Is it suppose to? Do I need to pull the starter? Is that a real bad job?... I need HELP! ARRRRRGH!!!

re-clean the conections to the battery solenoid and ground (sometimes if you give the solenoid a little rap while holding the key it will turn over)

I missed the stud under the cable turning - you need a very thin 10mm open end on that stud when you tighten the main lug chances are you broke the wire that is internally connected to that stud and the click (poor connection) noise is likely the wire sitting or barely touching on the lug - I would take the starter off, apart, and resolder the connection (best to let a winding shop do this)

rolson7560":8wvx7ut7 said:
It seems that the stud that goes into the starter turns.

Take the cable back off of the starter. Then tighten the nut on the starter that is under the cable. Don't overdo it, but snug it up. I bet it loosened up when you removed the cable. Then put the cable back on, and try starting it. Hopefully, that will take care of it.

Well....I've isolated it to that f***ing stud going into the starter. It's loose, and no matter what I do by putting the nut on snuggly, it doesn't help. If I leave the nut off, put the cable on and wiggle it, I'll make contact andd get lucky and it'll start. It looks like pulling the starter is a real chore, but I've read articles saying it's not. How many bolts hold it on? I can only see 1.

There are 2 bolts holding it on, one on top and one on bottom.
I've had mine out a few times pretty easily though some have had to drop the exhaust to get it out.
Try wiggling and all possible positions coming out before dropping the exhaust.

Wish I could tell you the secret for removing the darned things - make sure the gears in the block are lined up well (grease might help) then I take about 15 minutes of manouvering and twisting the whole time grumbling this frigging thing is not going in NO WAY then all a sudden it pops into place. GO FIGURE !!

I'd like to start wiggling and grunting, but I can't locate that "lower" bolt. I'll get some sleet and attack it in the morning with "furious vengence"!!!!! Thanks for the help!!! One last question....once I get it out, can I FIX that "muther grubbing stud", or am I going to have to buy a new starter?

rolson7560":3kh4kb27 said:
I'd like to start wiggling and grunting, but I can't locate that "lower" bolt. I'll get some sleet and attack it in the morning with "furious vengence"!!!!! Thanks for the help!!! One last question....once I get it out, can I FIX that "muther grubbing stud", or am I going to have to buy a new starter?
Patience will make it happen.
No way to know if that stud can be fixed until opening up the starter.

THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURE!!! Yeah, everything I've read says to do the job on the side stand. I wonder if a strong magnet will "open" the chain if need be?

rolson7560, I had this very issue with mine last winter, 1060dsl is more than likely correct, there is a small wire inside of the stud, I removed my starter and opened it up on the stud side, yes it comes apart there, found the problem wire to the stud, I soldered it and what was happening with mine was the inner nut and hard washer on the inside was shot and it was shorting out by touching the body of the starter [smoke], So what did I do? I centered the stud in the hole and used J B Weld on it and let it set a day then put the outer nuts back on and I have never had another problem with it, cost nothing to fix but time and it's fixed.. Now if I'm you I'd get the correct washer parts for it, instead of doing what I did..

WELL...I finally got that (*&^&* ing bolt out from behinfd the exhaust. Once that was out, the starter damn near jumped out at me! A couple twists with my trusty channell lock and it popped right out! I called my local NAPA Auto parts, (who I trust) to see if they rebuild starters and I got the name of someone 5 minutes away. GROVE D.C. ELECTRIC, INC in Fox Lake, Il, 60020, phone 847-587-0864. These guys are GREAT! I took the starter in at 10:30 and had it back by 3:00 I recommend them for anyone needing starter work in the Chicago northern suburbs.
Thank you all for your help!

High fives man...that's great, I lived in Rolling Meadows for 5 years I know those roads well...

good stuff !!

did you get it back in the bike yet and is it working ok? Dont forget you need a thin 10mm wrench to hold the lower nut in place as you tighten the cable on to it. I took the open end wrench from the tool kit and ground it down to where it is thin enough now. Good tool to keep !!

YEP!!!! In and working great!!! Thanks again for all the help!!! Also, thanks to GROVE DC Electric in FOX LAKE IL, who rebuilt it on very short notice. I dropped it off at 10:30 am and had it back by 4:00. Now I'm back to my charging problem. I'm afraid I may be looking at putting in a new stator. ARRRRGH!!!!!