Starter just spins on 1984 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131392#p131392:1dhsq3jv said:
Steve83 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:48 am[/url]":1dhsq3jv]
I believe he's talking about cutting off the ignition if the oil pressure goes away.

You could be right Steve :yes: Then again if the oil light is working the main computer should be able to shut the engine down as required :smilie_happy:

We are getting a little sidetracked with the oil thing. Back to the starter clutch, the 1100 and the 1200 starter clutches are different as I discovered today. I drilled my lube hole. The job went perfect. I think I was able to catch 99.9% of the shavings by drilling slow and using lots of sticky grease. Only one problem with the whole job. 1200 starter clutches do NOT have the three small holes that lead to the springs and locking cylinders in the clutch housing. The 1200 has holes in the face of the plate that screws down into the housing between the housing and the sprocket. I have been spraying into the hole and trying to splash solvent off of the sprocket and into the holes, but I think this is a losing battle, I had to look at several 1100 and 1200 starter clutches on the net this afternoo to get the right view, and sure enough--no holes like the 1100. Maybe back to the bump starter idea with seafoam in the oil. Learn something new every day-when you trip over it.

Attachments

• 1100.jpg
    1100.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 1200.JPG
    1200.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 92
I think your best bet is to add the sea foam/ATF to the engine oil and ride at least a tank or two through the bike. You can test your starter by cruising, turning the engine off and trying for a restart. If it doesn't work then you can just clutch start it and try again later hopefully this will come good without an engine disassembly :yes: :beg:

Got enough cash put away and ordered timing belts, radiator hose. oil and filter, and thermostat today. Got the fuel tank flushed out, new fuel lines and filter put on, soldered stator wires, new plugs and ran 12 volts to fuel pump to check it out. All my parts came in to build the bump starter, so that project will get some attention tomorrow. Polished a bunch of rust off but still more to do. Can't wait to hear the Wing fire up!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=131860#p131860:6072b0gk said:
Gashog » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:37 am[/url]":6072b0gk]
Got enough cash put away and ordered timing belts, radiator hose. oil and filter, and thermostat today. Got the fuel tank flushed out, new fuel lines and filter put on, soldered stator wires, new plugs and ran 12 volts to fuel pump to check it out. All my parts came in to build the bump starter, so that project will get some attention tomorrow. Polished a bunch of rust off but still more to do. Can't wait to hear the Wing fire up!
:good:
:popcorn: :popcorn: