starter melted

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badorderbob

Reaction score
Starter solenoid melted and fuse where the 4 wires connect,.....obviously causing no power...... 1. What does the 4 wires connect tooo..... 2. There has been an alternator conversion, fuse not blown or any others I could find... any ideas what might caused this melt down? The only thing added were some led lights (12 total). Bob

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=155015#p155015:1qdcvqpr said:
slabghost » 7 minutes ago[/url]":1qdcvqpr]
Usually meltdown is caused by poor connections over heating.
Yep.

Post a picture. Can get a better idea.

Thinking 2 of them(1 in and 1 out) are to cut off the lights, 1 is the power wire for the solenoid and the other a ground but really just a guess.

Took picture, hope this helps! !!

Attachments

• 20150730_203035.jpg
    20150730_203035.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 1438303095649.jpg
    1438303095649.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 173
Thanks,...got new wire pigtail & solenoid bought and on its way!......appreciate the help very much! !!!!! Thanks Guys Bob :hi: :salute:

I replaced mine also, but did not use the fuse holder built in - I think it's not rated for 30 amps?. From another forum:
put female spades on the yellow/red and red/green and attach to the two male spades closest to the 1/4" lugs (doesn't matter which). Then attach a 1/4" ring terminal to a new 30A fuse holder. On the other end of the fuse holder, solder the red and red/white wires to it. The ring should go on the same lug as the battery side of the solenoid.

If you want, you can use the fuse holder built in to wire an accessory or something. To use it, add a jumper 1/4" ring to female spade and plug into the other male spade lugs. from the remaining male spade attach your fused device. Add the ring to the battery side lug.

I was a little worried that it was from all the Leds I put on ,...but I let my son use it over the summer while recouping and he said two times the bike just stopped. He wiggled the solenoid and was lucky to get the bike restarted. By the looks & condition of the solenoid, he was lucky to get back home. I wasn't , wife had to tow me home, .......thrill ride to say the least. Glad it wasn't something worse. Now waiting on parts fix to be able to ride again. :Egyptian: :hi: later Bob

Pic looks like an aftermarket from China. I have read of a couple who have had failures. Some failed and kept the starter running and took the battery with it. One of those parts where quality may be more important than price.

Update,....got the parts and had to figure out the wiring hookup. My old solenoid was round with the fuse in back, my new one is square fuse in front.And was for the Gl 1500 and Valk., figured it might hold up better. But after a few tries of figuring out the wiring, she's up and :Egyptian: running,....thanks for help!!! Bob