Starting my midlife crisis, here to soak up information

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to look at them and observe the place it is kept and condition of their other equipment. Will tell you a lot about how they cared for the 'wing. I traveled 80 miles to look at a '78. While waiting for the owner to show, I noticed an old Ford Rnger with its bed full of trash, an above-ground pool behind a delapidated privacy fence - also full of trash. The double-wide didn't look well kept either. The guy was late, and I decided not to wait or come back. But then, I bought the Hunley from a well-kept aircraft hanger. Upon diving in, I found plenty of lashed-up "PO" issues. I did buy a John Deere 345 from a very nice home with other immaculate equipment that has been a real jem.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207630#p207630:2fu2oyrd said:
pidjones » December 1st, 2018, 6:07 pm[/url]":2fu2oyrd]
Go to look at them and observe the place it is kept and condition of their other equipment. Will tell you a lot about how they cared for the 'wing. I traveled 80 miles to look at a '78. While waiting for the owner to show, I noticed an old Ford Rnger with its bed full of trash, an above-ground pool behind a delapidated privacy fence - also full of trash. The double-wide didn't look well kept either. The guy was late, and I decided not to wait or come back. But then, I bought the Hunley from a well-kept aircraft hanger. Upon diving in, I found plenty of lashed-up "PO" issues. I did buy a John Deere 345 from a very nice home with other immaculate equipment that has been a real jem.

Belated reply, but found a naked conversion on Craigslist for a good price. Looked nice at first. Looking closely at the photos, I noticed an obviously missing bolt on a cover of the body work.

Simple fix. But if the owner ignored that, what else did he ignore that's far harder to find?

When it comes to vehicles with only two small contact patches that I ride 75 mph down the road, I'm a very boring person. I don't want to be surprised at that speed.

just bought my first Goldwing about 2 weeks ago. Unlike you I didn't think to look for advice or anything prior to buying it. Lol. The odometer says 3200kms or so on her so best guess is 103200kms on her. But there is no way to tell, it could be 203... Main things I looked for just as a general rule were tire condition, brakes, etc... the normal important yet possibly costly maintenance issues. And then just how it started and ran. I felt the exhaust when I first showed up to make sure the guy didn't have it running prior to me showing up. Then it was just fire it up and see how it sounds, go for a ride and see how it feels, and just look it over for any obvious signs of neglect. Mine actually came with a really personal attachment and story from the previous owner, I believe he was telling the truth based on the emotion he showed, but he could have been a great actor.

She's an 82 Interstate. I paid $2500 canadian dollars for her, which seems to be about the average price for my area. I am currently in the process of changing timing belts just for piece of mind and since its still to chilly to be riding. There are a couple others listed at similar prices now that I have contemplated picking up to feed this strange addiction that has started growing inside me, but so far I have been able to fight off the urge.

Good luck with the hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_4291.jpg
    IMG_4291.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 84
Caution: You are feeling the onset of MBS (multiple bike syndrome) which can result in many vintage Wings competing for your time, attention and money.

One very noticeable symptom is the perusing of Craig's list or such right after you order parts for your current machine.

Beware of situations where random strangers compliment you on the appearance of your ride and offer to sell you their bike that "ran when parked" some years back for a very reasonable price. They parked it because it quit running after being flogged for years!!

I have been able to limit my keepers to six (so far) by refusing to buy anything I can't store inside (or believe I can turn quickly for a miniscule profit. Apparently I should also believe in the Easter Bunny and the Democratic party).

Finally, welcome to the WWoW (wonderful world of Wings). Collectively, the members are an enclopedia of Goldwing knowledge and enthusically share their experiences.