The full story of the Hooch build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmmmmm thanks mike ...I hadn't bypassed the reg yet but intemd to today now that it out in the light ....hmmmmm interesting what you said about the black wire gets it power from the key switch .....I have an ignition relay on the bike what your saying is that I should hook the reg power feed wire to the out put on the relay ?.......sounds like that is good advice ...have no idea the power a reg requires ...but its only a few " to the relay to reg ......oh thanks for comferming the sorting of the wires mike ...im all rested and refreshed and with a nice day and shade I should really be able to give it a good go today .....

thanks everyone who is trying to help me along here .... :thanks:

okay I found the problem and I hope in time .....I will never again short change a connection ...this bike had bad stator connection ...with all the stuff arranged like it was and the wiring harness I should have cut the wire back even further to get to good wire it looks but that would be back in the wiring harness ....I'm not sure my connection hurt anything but it didn't help it either .....in the wiring harness is a Y connector in the harness itself ...this connector was heat damaged and not good I thought it was shorted to the other wires but it was just stuck a little ....I got on this with a resistance reading with the meter isolating that y from every thing else but that before I broke into the harness black wrap ..witch is a joke really and then seen the Y in the harness ....thanks to tony he help me confirm that the wires connected somewhere in the wiring ... actually the double reds and green wires are and one stator wire is too ...there was the problem in the stator yellow wire going to reg ....anyway you look at it the yellow wire y in the harness connects stator reg and rec all inside the wiring harness .....

one true moral of the story is ....never make a compromised connection over the black wrap wiring harness or a little extra work to do it right ....that black wrap is nothing ....

I'm glad I had to go here as I see now the total way its put together and not blinded by the black wrap ....I learned a lot here

and inside the harness problem has had me going a while now ...and when I seen it ... I knew it was the needle in the haystack I was looking for :mrgreen:

I'm rewiring right now everything and will take pics later and post

Interesting. I ripped my spaghetti harness apart and was surprised to see that the factory used that "y" connection in several spots with just tape around it. I was pulling my aux lighting unit out. I will look those other joints over more carefully. I'm not even sure my motor is good or stator. Looking forward to some noise coming from it soon. I informed the boss that the bike was getting finished before the new bathroom this summer......famous last words.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82468#p82468:18wvfnat said:
ekvh » Sun May 26, 2013 12:27 pm[/url]":18wvfnat]Interesting. I ripped my spaghetti harness apart and was surprised to see that the factory used that "y" connection in several spots with just tape around it. I was pulling my aux lighting unit out. I will look those other joints over more carefully. I'm not even sure my motor is good or stator. Looking forward to some noise coming from it soon. I informed the boss that the bike was getting finished before the new bathroom this summer......famous last words.
Are they NOT soldered?

I solder pretty much everything as a lot of my work is marine electrics. That said there are industry concerns that where there is high vibration you may fracture the wiring with solder or over compressed joints. I am always amazed by things that shouldn't work and do, where almost perfect/ brand new fail. Many manufactures use those crimped multi point joints without solder and most work well. The main advantage of a solder joint is to stop corrosion and the forming of vertigrese which restricts the ability of the copper wire to flow current.

image.php

re did the wiring ...mounted rec different to get more room and wirenuted and sealed
image.php

new exhaust put on so I can actualy feel like im not on a dragster ...

Someone said to get a memory foam cushion from Walmart for added comfort, in the interest of a stripped down naked maybe Joe is tying one of those to his butt! :smilie_happy:

sounds like I need a helmet made with it ...and wear it on my head to improve memory :hihihi: ....come on guys my butt has a built in fab pad but ill put the saddle on the dog ...theres a nice tray or canyon behind the tank and frame im going to use this to connect rear lighting up ....then the seat will go on :mrgreen:

Ohhhhh....I see! I thought maybe you were trying to pull off a real tough guy type of seat by riding the rear fender or sumtin... :smilie_happy:

image.php

hooch went for a ride todat and brought me home too
this is the best geared bike I ever owned .....
the bike is charging and the motor runs well ...very strong bike bike to say the least .....this is a keeper for sure ...still some work to tie up but it road ready now

Good going Joe!

I don't care what anyone says about wire nuts.
Not the cleanest but they get the job done.

The strands will corrode under the nut if not sealed that's guaranteed especially with the moisture you have there but it's good for a couple years I bet.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82695#p82695:20hvrl27 said:
joedrum » Mon May 27, 2013 6:49 pm[/url]":20hvrl27]all the wire nuts are sealed with silicone ,,this actually glues the nut on there and takes vibration along with being sealed
:clapping:

Great to hear that you are finally riding Hooch and it is charging :clapping: :good: :clapping: , I was beginning to think I was loosing my mind for awhile. :head bang:

Latest posts