Trailer

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
89-300ce":2ize31xf said:
I was hopeing to see how the wheel works in your new tongue set-up. Again, nice size. Being able to bring it into a motel room makes access so convenient and once in the room you can go for a ride without leaving the trailer in the parking lot. Smart.
Thanks again everyone, The caster is off of a hospital bed and is super quiet and stores in a pipe that you can see it the pic. The receiver I have now is a little different than the one is this picture. I anyone is interested I can draw it up. The tie rod used for the hitch is also spring loaded , I didn't know if I needed it but figured it wouldn't hurt. Funny when I first starting using the trailer in motel rooms, the wife made sure that she was no where around, but now she holds the doors for me. The motel doors have to be 36" doors to be able to get in with a 1/2" clearance on each side.

Attachments

• dolly.jpg
    dolly.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 223
I don't want to hi-jack the tread but digr's trailers size and ability to enter motel rooms has piqued my interest. While googling trailers I came across this.
equipment0006.jpg
people0006.jpg

https://www.eaglematetrailers.com/index.htm

I really like the simplicity of the design ( their price is silly :heat: ) but wonder how a rigid trailer would work. I remember rigid choppers so I guess it's do-able and a tire with low inflation could provide some damping. I would DIY and mount it with a u-joint to a plate fastened to the luggage rack. It would probably only carry a duffle bag with mostly clothing, tent, etc.

What do you think?

dan filipi":14dr1gp0 said:
Kidding me, $1800??
They are really proud of it aren't they.

I bet all new parts could be used and built for under $400, maybe less than $300.

That's my thinking exactly.

With fold out legs or being able to move the stand to the tail lights/sissy bar area it should be able to store straight up when not in use. It could fit in a closet. Reminds me of the Travois the Indians used.

digr":2z9h1e61 said:
89-300ce":2z9h1e61 said:
What is the weight of that unit? Could you post a picture of the front wheel and tongue system? I sure like the size.
Ty I don't know the weight but I only carry 6lbs of air it the tires.The trailer is on it second bike with about 65,000 miles on it. I will get pics when I can, its kind of hidden now for the winter. Here are some pics of the trailer in its brown mode. You can see the basic hinge system in the pic. I have since made a different tongue that is longer and a different attachment system. The safety chains are dog chains

Not to change the thread but that's the first 82 Asspy I have seen that has the same running lights on the rear as I have :hi:

Here is my take on the Eaglemate trailer. It came in at 85 lbs with 20 lbs of that on the hitch. I blame the weight gain on a heavy steel fender and the 1x1 frame for the rear rack. I just mocked up some totes that I had. I'll look for something that fits better although I can strap on just about anything.

Attachments

• IMG_1818.JPG
    IMG_1818.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1819.JPG
    IMG_1819.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1820.JPG
    IMG_1820.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1821.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_1822.JPG
    IMG_1822.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 166
Yes, I can't wait to test it. It is different but based on what appears to be a successfull design so I'm not completely out on a limb here. I will be _very_ carefull as I test her out. I'm most concerned about how mid corner bumps will feedback into the bike.

Digr's trailer and it's ability to be brought into a motel room started this whole thing off for me. And now I can have breakfast at camp :)

yes i like it bigtime myself too ...my biggest concern is the mount that the tongue will be in ...as a farmer and master of pulling things with all kinds of power and the leverage thing i didn't explain myself well....this setup is not a straight line pull...its an angle pull and its an incline ...and has the ability to, under certain conditions, to pick the the bike right off the ground ...it really needs a triangle hook up. down low to instantly transfer weight to the lower part of the bike ...to in effect push it forward before it has a chance to pick up the bike ...not sure how to do that ...but that capability is there in this setup and could be quite obvious if someone ran into the back of it.

Good point. I'm expecting a max. weight of 140 lbs. fully loaded, probably more like 120. I think the biggest concern as you describe will be the effect during braking. It is based on an existing design that seems to work well. If it is an issue I will lower the mounting point closer to axle level.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=128972#p128972:xe28ojxn said:
ekvh » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:49 pm[/url]":xe28ojxn]
Jorge, I would love to see that. Looks great! I'm in the Riverbend West K area.
Sorry for the delay in my reply. I'm currently at my cabin in kenora, Ontario and so is the trailer. Took the bike .Will be back in Southdale Sunday evening if you want to take a look.

Latest posts