Trunk Relocation for an 82 1100I The Easy Way!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plskthompson1":19wpl9p8 said:
Those black pieces are nothing more than filler panels. They come off easily.
Thats exactly right. I think they are just air dams to keep a little of the breeze off the copilots arse! :roll:

Thanks. That's good 'cause I went ahead and bought it. I asked on eguy to measure the length and he came back and said it was 65 inches? OK. You can tell the longer ones because the support that comes from below to the top racks is in a different position on the longer one. So you can tell if it's longer just by looking at teh picture on ebay. The other one was from an '82 Aspencade which was not the longer one.

CapnDenny1":2jun8ku5 said:
....The other one was from an '82 Aspencade which was not the longer one.
Which is where the forums come in.

1. eBay parts sellers seldom know what they're selling (or obviously how to use a rule. :shock: )
2. Just because he/she removed it from an 82 Aspencade, that doesn't mean it was the one originally installed.
3. I see items listed all the time as OEM, that obviously are not.

You really have to know how to identify what you want. Once the seller has your money.......

Let us know how it comes out capndenny!!! Just try not to do any wild dance moves with all that EXTRA room you will have!!! :smilie_happy: There is not a DRASTIC change... but it is definitely noticeable! Good luck with the mods!

The new grab rail from the '83 Aspencade came today. Just as predicted it is about 2-3 inches longer. I forgot to tell my wife about it, so I had a little explaining to do. But when I told her it would give her more room, all was well. I also got my rotten seat from ebay that I bought for $1.00, plus $20 shipping. I will try to get them to extend the seat front and rear and utilize that extra room for me and for her. Over the holidays I will get the new one polished up to clean off the rust and get it mounted. The guy from ebay took of the locks, but I was going to move mine anyway, so the key still works. So I guess I'll be selling a grab rail here shortly off an '82 Interstate.

Take care,

Dennis

as soon as the weather clears up I'll be working on this relocation also.
there are some great tips here. I have one other twist...
the trunk mount that came with my bike is not stock. it has kinda hinges that allows it to "rock" forward to the 1-up position...
the legs on the hinges look as though they were broke and welded back together. possibly shortend.... although I dont know why they might have done this except maybe they were ALOT shorter than me :D
heres a closer look
backrest1.jpg

think I should replace this. or use it to extend a stock style mount?
both me and wifey are larger sized... and I have a BRAND NEW saddleman dbl bucket to install this year :D

almost forgot. will be adding a chrome light bar around the bottom of the trunk also..
just thinking of the weight.

maybe someone would like/use this trunkmount more than me.

jdegase":35nz00q1 said:
the trunk mount that came with my bike is not stock. it has kinda hinges that allows it to "rock" forward to the 1-up position...
the legs on the hinges look as though they were broke and welded back together. possibly shortend.... although I dont know why they might have done this except maybe they were ALOT shorter than me :D
heres a closer look

Jim, the saddle bags are Hondaline bags and lower mounting brackets and chrome are the right ones for those bags (I have them on mine) but the upper trunk was an add on. It may not have fit the Wing correctly and the owner adjusted them accordingly. I have seen that trunk on other bikes and the idea is to go one up and have more room for equipment when camping and such. I have the original Hondaline trunk on my Wing and I moved it back 2" so my Boss and I could ride real comfy!

(BTW those bags were actually made by Samsonite! They are removable and are designed to fit perfectly in the airline overhead bins, at least in 1980.)

Attachments

• 1982-4.JPG
    1982-4.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 571
  • MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 570
Hi Gerry,
I kinda like the look of the hondaline bags with the interstate/aspencade trunk... but I'm not sure if the mounts will work if I change the trunk mount to a solid one like OEM aspencade.
I dont care for the hinged rack, but I can see where I might use part of it to make the solid rack more adjustable.

do you think the interstate/aspencade trunk mount will work with the "lower" bag mounts for the hondaline?

if not I might look into changing out the whole bag-trunk and bumpers.

jdegase":39eifd6v said:
do you think the interstate/aspencade trunk mount will work with the "lower" bag mounts for the hondaline?

Unfortunately, the Hondaline mounting is not compatible with the Honda trunk mount. look at Dan's picture and my picture and you can see where the Hondaline mount shares shock absorber bolt. Also, the lock and quick connect are in the way.

Tory":387zpr66 said:
So,where do they put the rest of the bike? :nea:

The idea back then was to take the bike to the airport and you could jump on the commuter flights of the day and have your luggage with you. (My dad did! Not on a bike, but parked right in front of the aircraft)

Remember, this was an idea for the late 70's and early 80's when air travel was going to be used by everyone (before all of the security). Back then, you could practically ride right up to the plane, buy a ticket and get on. (Philadelphia Northeast Reginal Airport). The only thing that separated you from the plane then was a 3' high chain link fence.

Ohhh, the days when it was a cheap family outing to go to the airport, get close the aircraft, watch them startup those gas-guzzling turbo-props up close, and stay there all the way through taxi and takeoff by about 10' away!
:cry:

mcgovern61":3isbymp8 said:
jdegase":3isbymp8 said:

Unfortunately, the Hondaline mounting is not compatible with the Honda trunk mount. look at Dan's picture and my picture and you can see where the Hondaline mount shares shock absorber bolt. Also, the lock and quick connect are in the way.

Thanks for the pics guys.
my local salvage yard has a compleat interstate bag set and a compleate vetter outfit with fairing but I was interested in keeping the hondaline samsonite lower bags and the in terstate trunk I have now.. as everything functions and looks good in my opinion the larger hondaline bags and the larger trunk...
my only thing is I need a bit more seat room... so I might end up with a deal like this
file.php

Thanks roncar for the pics on this, sounds like it might be the only way for me to go..

Thanks for the info :)
makes me wanna go out in the cold and get to work

i also recently went the cheap route and installed the 83 rack on my 82, big difference as now she can ride with my backrest in place. You can also use the longer 83 seat at the same time. My brother has an 83 seat he's gave me, I just haven't picked it up yet.

I got my 83 rack for 25 bucks, delivered by a truck driving buddy of mine when he came to town on a run. He got the rack for me from his neighbor. Not a spot of rust anywhere on it. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I had a guy with an 83 seat and he measured it and it was teh same length as my 82 seat. Are you sure the 83 is longer? Was that just on the Aspencade or something? I have an 83 bracket, but the stock seat is too short, even all the way back.

olered67":1r7moxmt said:
Here is an easy fix for those of you on an 1100 that are like me... a little on the larger side!

I have seen posts on other forums that show how to build brackets to relocate your trunk a few inches back. Thus giving you a little extra room for you and your Copilot, Navigator, Ornament, Reverse or whatever you may call her!LOL

WVBOY and I noticed when our bikes(he has an 83) were parked side by side that the trunks were positioned differently. His was farther back and a little higher than mine. So after we took measurements, we found out that his trunk rack was about 3 inches longer than mine and a little more than an inch taller.

So I looked on Fleabay for an 83 rack. I went through the several listed and emailed every one of the sellers and asked them for the overall length of their racks. Mine measures about 24 1/2 inches from the center of the forward most mounting holes to the very rear cross pipe(where the locks are mounted). SOME of the 83's measure 27+ inches. I wound up with three of them being the larger racks and then I compared prices and picked the cheapest one... $59.99 + $15 Shipping with an Or Best Offer. Offered him $25 he countered with 39.99 and I bought it. Its not the prettiest thing in the world... a bit rustier than my original. But a nice shiney bike needs to be polished...and I am too busy riding to polish. So there you go!

It took me about two beer and one hour to complete the swap but it may take you a little longer as you may want to clean and polish a little while you have the saddlebags off.

Here are the two racks side by side
100_2116.jpg

100_2117.jpg

Before
100_2115.jpg

After
100_2119.jpg

I will try to get some before and after pics of a side view posted later.

By the way, if you don't think a couple of inches are important... just ask your Copilot, Navigator, Ornament, Reverse or whatever you may call her!LOL :shock:
:-D :-D :-D
Any rider will also notice those extra inches by pulling the seat all the way back.(I found out after sometime when for some reason I removed the seat) :mrgreen: .Thank you for your tip and contribution to CGW :thank_you: .PS. IT TOOK YOU 2 BEERS & 1 HOUR TO INSTALL :Doh2: ,sorry man but that's very unprofesional from your part.IT Should have taken me at the most 1 hour and at least a six pack to do a real PRO INSTALL. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :thanks:

Latest posts