Trying to make sense of this rat's nest...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tuning the intake is as simple as tuning a VW now.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

I was going to use dual idf40 webers.Infinitely tuneable,great performance.But yikes.the price is more than I paid for the bike.Not an option.I might go with the solex single eventually.I found the solex carb for about $75.The intake average is about $125.I have no confidence in rebuilding something as complicated as the 4 carb gl1000 setup.

It was simple to install. The hardest part is tuning to your motor, which still wasn't that bad.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181149#p181149:3az5y2sy said:
slabghost » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:40 pm[/url]":3az5y2sy]
dkl style intake is about $25.

define dkl.homemade from pvc? I have seen videos,but not complete fabrication.And to some of the other comments I have a question-"it is no walk in the park either". Carbs have always baffled me.Once its mounted to a manifold,connected to the push pull cables,how is it then tuned.Adjust the idle,turning an air screw? please define.I would think setting one carb has to be easier than 4.my goal-get a carb setup I can afford, keep in proper adjustment,and not break down in the middle of nowhere because of some glitch or hydrolock.I have heard the pct34 is simple and reliable.In my hotrod car days the more carb the more airflow the better.Going from 4 34 mm carbs down to one 34 mm seems to me it would be like running a 1 barrel on a bigblock chevy.All answers are appreciated.

Yes the made from PVC manifold. Member fivestring just did his and with his more open exhaust and experimental nature he has drilled the jets more to his liking. 34pict 3 it seems is the easiest to set up and very reliable. Once set up it seems to be trouble free. You can be building a two wheeled hot rod but many are just making the family car wing a bit simpler and more reliable with a single carb conversion. Read about his build here. Click the thread link.
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=11481

I switched mine for simplicity. Yes, you do lose some top end, but it is more fuel efficient if you ride your bike as daily means, which I intend on doing with mine. Also, my original carbs were 31mm, whereas the Weber is 32mm, opening to 36mm when full throttle. I like a progressive because it does give you that little boost to get up and go when needed, and doesn't drag as much trying to get you there.

lets all know that in reality ...the progressive carbs can actually out do the stock CV carbs ...if its dialed in and modded right ...epa has made carbs tough to dial in good without modding ...at least that how it was on my bike hooch witch is also modded from stock motor