Update

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
78-79 do really well with a little open exhaust ....the cams are the mildest and shorter open time on valves than all oldwings ...so they do really well with the more open exhaust than other year oldwings my 79 would kick butt ... the 78-79 stock exhauast was not that good and most rusted inside to a point of just clogged up ... mine was like that ... if I were you id leave as it is for awhile ... id say it the one to have on to get it running its best ....

yea < rite on, It dose breath out well for sure. I don't have any trouble hearing it misfire. I heard something about the cams differ an are interchangeable. 75 on the 77 or something. Sounds Hot Rod. These 771A carburetors are jetted up or down I forget now. Z1-enterprise is handled. Opted for a crimping tool. NGK DR8EIX Iridium Plugs, ever use them? This plug has a good write up, $31.change for 4. I am going to get a set in the rite heat range. Fairing is on the table knocked down with spot putty in the chip marks. Midnight Blue is the finish color. Have some ideas on the trim peaces All in primer tomorrow.

Several posts moved from "We Love Pics!" thread to this "Update" thread.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112021#p112021:vqiexei1 said:
Omega Man » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:42 pm[/url]":vqiexei1]
Does the output of the ignition system keep up with a plug like those?

Yes. There is write up on them. They have built in resistors so you don't need to run the stock plug boots. An suppose to eliminate engine noise in the radio. There was a special plug that was used in the 69/77 model's there is NOS available for true restorations. 78/79 an so on used a different plug all together from what I'e read. The new style plugs range from 7.00 and up to 11.99 a peace.. :laptop: :heat:

The Honda-specified spark plug for the GL1000 is the NGK D8EA plug. However, when the first GL1000s were introduced, the specified plug was NGK D8ES-L. The “S” designation indicates that it was a “special” design and the “-L” designation means the heat range is a half step “cooler” than the norm for D8EA plugs.

Honda recommended the D8ES-L for all of the 750/4’s from 1969 through 1977, the CB350F, CB400F and the GL1000 through 1977 were also included. Other Japanese manufacturers used them as well.

If you are doing a concours-level restoration, you may be interested in this. They are the absolute “correct” spark plug for early GL1000s (and many other vintage Hondas beyond the ones listed above).

Important Resistance Issues:

There should always be some resistance in the high-voltage, secondary side of the coil circuits (spark plug wire side): either a resistor plug, a resistor spark plug cap, or resistor spark plug wires.

You always need at least one of these elements. Otherwise, the coil discharge will be too rapid, resulting in shorter, less useful spark. This will also risk overheating the coils and reduce their life expectancy.

Using any two of these forms of resistance is probably OK if you are overly concerned about radio static and interference, but you should avoid using all three forms of resistance at once. That will hurt performance…especially at higher rpms.

For example: the ( NGK DR8EIX ) iridium plug (recommended) for the GL1000 is indeed a resistor plug (hence the “R” in the code). If you run this plug, you should pair it with aftermarket ignition wires / caps of the nonresistance type. Or, if you stick with the OEM wires and NGK caps, you should probably eliminate the removable resistor in the cap. You can replace the resistors in the caps with (brass) screws..

OD as the resistor – about 5mm (SAE-sized #10-24 or #10-32 brass machine screws also have the right diameter and are available at any hardware store). Then, cut sections of these brass machine screws to the same length as the resistor you are removing (about 18mm). This makes an excellent resistor substitute and you don’t have to worry about the interaction of dissimilar metals.

Just got the shipping confirmation from Z-1enterprise. Looking forward to that. Wanted to get a new ignition but ran out of money. So I will run my old Dyna for now. Now that I know the coils were bad. If I run the points set up I will need to get the 3.Ohms ballast from HondaMan. Checking on the plug gap for these new style iridium plugs.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110515#p110515:e5p46z5b said:
backyardtrouble » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:22 pm[/url]":e5p46z5b]
....been there, done that,.... :Awe: ..i hope you let your mind rest when things get blurry... :smilie_happy: The covers do look nice.

Ha this is ironic, LoL Steady gettin it. I did shut down early the first weekend from the start of the R$R.. Nice to have it rite now to do it up ^6 years in the making. The forms research jump started motivation. Money on time helps to.

New parts..... An ready for paint.

Need to get the ignition module BUT I do have the old one and a set of points to make it go . I will be working on this part of the bike first of the week. Fighting off a BAD FLUE imagine that getting a cold in Florida. :laptop: . So all is good here. Just glad to finally have the money all in one pile to make this daily rider something nice to look at. Owning a Goldwing is great. Now that I have all most everything here to make it look like a touring bike will also slow me down on it. Not that I drive fast, Now I can just cruse with the radio on letting others have a look at the Oldwing .. Okay enough bla bla bla.. have a look. I will keep you posted.

PS. these parts are $$$$. Love my Old Goldwing... :laptop: :music: :salute:

Attachments

• 2014-03-13 13.21.26.jpg
    2014-03-13 13.21.26.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 2014-03-13 13.25.53.jpg
    2014-03-13 13.25.53.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 2014-03-13 13.34.37.jpg
    2014-03-13 13.34.37.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 141
6 more to go. Coils going in first of the week. All Dyna so old some new. Get some fresh gas ran in it..

:music:

Attachments

• 2014-03-15 20.57.45.jpg
    2014-03-15 20.57.45.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 2014-03-15 20.56.52.jpg
    2014-03-15 20.56.52.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 216
Runs good. Pulled 1 an 3 for a spark check. Engine ran on 2 an 4 till I found the kill switch, tell you the truth about it.. ( :shock: )..

Went with no Ngk. Used the rubber stuff flip flop'ed it around on the new wire. Reused the Boot rubber.

Pulled the plugs primed it up. Put them In Turned the power on Fired rite up. Plenty Blue Spark. Good signal So far from the Dyna Pickup.. Have a look.. :rocks:

Attachments

• 2014-03-24 17.26.44.jpg
    2014-03-24 17.26.44.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 184
  • 2014-03-24 14.14.01.jpg
    2014-03-24 14.14.01.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 184

Latest posts