Valkyrie Radiator bites the dust..

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lately it seems that every job that I do for myself seems to create another. While I was taking off my riding gear I heard some squeaking which was Val sliding sideways in her front wheel chock mount which normally isn't a problem. Unfortunately as I had worked with Val in the wheel mount during the day, I had taken two jack stands and placed them under each foot peg so that she was rock solid and had moved the chair that normally sits under the left crash bar. I had intended to put the chair back after I had taken my gear off but I wasn't Quick enough and Val slipped over and landed on one jack stand that destroyed the chrome plastic alternator cover. :doh:
Makes my $26 radiator look cheap and I would still need international shipping. :head bang: Western Honda is $168 plus shipping. I knew I shouldn't of polished the timing cover and bolts. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183878#p183878:aoo59k5b said:
joedrum » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:32 am[/url]":aoo59k5b]
put this pic in the overpriced thread
I think I could just put a picture of the Valkyrie. :yes:
Remember my new radiator is $1168 aud from Honda. :doh:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=183882#p183882:35zramiq said:
desertrefugee » 1 minute ago[/url]":35zramiq]
I'm thinking maybe you could be thinking that the exposed alternator really doesn't look so bad...
That's what I'd be thinking.

It will have to be that way for awhile as I broke the mounting tab off. When I plastic weld it I will just leave the damaged cover on for the time being.

I ended up knocking out a few vent "teeth" in the alternator housing and I really missed the look of the chrome plastic cover.
I used my hot air/ heatshrinker attachment on my gas soldering iron to abs weld the broken mounting tab. I also used it to heat up the damaged area on the cover and pressed it back into shape with a ball peen hammer.
You can see the trusty chair that the left crash bar rests on and not taking any chances I also have the offending jack stand under the left foot peg.

I see your problem. Your garage looks pretty much just like mine does. Jammed with scheidt. My Vmax fell over once and was close to my tool chest. Handlebar pushed into and pretty much destroyed the bottom compartment lid. Never could get it to fit right after much fiddling. Luckily, Mr. Max sustained no damage, amazingly.

It seems that more damage usually gets done falling ONTO things than just falling.

Your alternator cover also happens to be an item that deteriorates and is sought after anyway. The miserable plastic chrome on that piece commonly bubbles up and flakes off. Maybe a fuel drip or two over the years accelerates it. Anyway, they are one of the pieces on a Valkyrie that should definitely be in the "overpriced" thread. Mine has some bubbles.

And Tony. Dude. Take those factory nanny stickers off the tank.

:yes:

I spoke to a painter about removing the stickers without needing to repaint the tank and he didn't inspire me to remove the stickers. You know me ATM, one job seems to create another...... :doh:

Thanks Darrell. I will give it a shot as the bottom one is really crappy.
:thanks:

I will get a better picture once I have removed the glue from the bottom stickers properly.
:thanks: for the motivation and advice to help me remove the stickers. I didn't mind the Gold Unleaded Only sticker but as there is no other type of fuel available, that had to go as well. I am now wondering do I get some sort of clear tank skin to protect the lower section from zippers etc or were the nicks on the "nanny sticker" just 20years of no big deals?

If you really want to cover it up, you can put a tank bib on it...there are a few companies that make them.

I don't buy that mixing coolants argument at all. The only problems I've heard of is if you mix high mileage type with older type they wont recommend the long change intervals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally got a quote for my radiator to be recored and it was $750 aud. I believed that for not much more money I could get a new one from the states ( $600 + shipping Usd ). I decided to buy this used one on eBay from a dealer in south Australia as I had been watching it not long after my ugly used one from the states started leaking.
It arrived on Monday and I have been travelling around with it in the back of the ute for the rest of the week. I finally opened it today with the intention of doing a pressure test and was pleasantly surprised to find out that I had a brand new old stock radiator. :yahoo:

Latest posts