Vetter modification: Anybody tried this?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karitoki

Reaction score
Shamu is running like a top! A long ride this weekend provided an opportunity for something to fall off, but happy to say all went well.
I've been happily married for over 20 years, but alas, my beautiful wife does not presently share my enthusiasm for two wheels. So, I'm thinking about making Shamu a little more comfy on long rides and this is what I came up with. Though I am a GW noob, I am a rabid bike fan, and in all my years I have never seen a setup like this. I haven't quite figured out all the mounting details yet, but that will come together. Has anyone done this with their Vetter setup?

P7210223.jpg

P7210220.jpg
P7210224.jpg

ive had that ideal for a long time .....with atrunk that sides back and forth ....i never realy follow through ....but its obvious that it looks great....i like the look better than the way its suppose to be .... im all behind you on this and if you dont have to incorperate the sliding back and forth part it ought to be easy to rig up ....the vetter bags are just great for this and just better bags than honda stuff in my opinion .... i do have a 1100 standard that has a backrest that slides ..

any way go for it i think it looks great... :good: :eek:k: :yes: :rocks: :mrgreen:

That's a good idea but what happens if you come up on a cutie wants a ride?
I guess she could sit on your lap.

I know I know, I'm married too. My fingers got away from me.

I don't think I've seen anyone do that.
Dont forget the seat needs to come off the get the false tank off so try to keep the mounting simple in case it has to be pulled on the road.

dan filipi":3h44iwke said:
That's a good idea but what happens if you come up on a cutie wants a ride?
I guess she could sit on your lap.

I know I know, I'm married too. My fingers got away from me.

I don't think I've seen anyone do that.
Dont forget the seat needs to come off the get the false tank off so try to keep the mounting simple in case it has to be pulled on the road.

Actually, I'm doing this in case a cutie wants a ride! :shock: Keeps me safe! :music:

So far, the solution I'm leaning towards is to flip the mounting bracket on the trunk so I can mount the back of the trunk on what was the front sissy bar mount. The front mounting hole are about a 1/2" wider so the flip in necessary. Then I'm thinking of just putting some stiff foam between the seat and the box and sinching down on the back mount. I'll send pics later. Thanks for your input. :grin:

Took me a minute to see what you was talkin about! :doh:
Looks kewl, tho. Perhaps a swivel/pivoting set-up that would allow the trunk to pivot forward for soloing, and back for 2 up?

I am not sure where I saw it, but there is a trunk rack that is hinged that allows for the setup you have pictured and then flips back to allow two up.

The early silver wings had a trunk that could be relocated for single or 2 up.

Looks great,But I would want to be able to move it back and forth,perhaps on a arm that would let it swing on an arch forward or back,remember as dan said,it has to move to remove the seat,to remove the false tank,to...you get the point

Tory":3jkrg44i said:
The early silver wings had a trunk that could be relocated for single or 2 up.

Looks great,But I would want to be able to move it back and forth,perhaps on a arm that would let it swing on an arch forward or back,remember as dan said,it has to move to remove the seat,to remove the false tank,to...you get the point

This is going to be a temporary setup. I've flipped the mounting bracket on the bottom of the trunk, and reversed the one on the sissy bar. I will secure the back of the trunk to the mount. On the front, I've put together a 2" thick piece of laminated high impact foam rubber that will support the weight of the trunk on the seat. I have two short black rubber bungee cord that will be clipped on to opposite sides of the trunk frame, then crossed over the seat and secured on to the saddle bag frame. Ghetto, but adequate. If I have to get the seat off, I just loosen the mounting U-bolts on the sissy bar, detach the cords, and up swings the trunk. Again, this is not permanent. I might just like it the other way and put it back.
Thanks for all the input!

sounds like a good test mount to me i would like your input on how you like it in use .....i bet you will like it ive always wanted to do that and if you like it alot theres way to make move back and forth ....i might do this to on my new build im working on... :mrgreen:

joedrum":335gq8ey said:
sounds like a good test mount to me i would like your input on how you like it in use .....i bet you will like it ive always wanted to do that and if you like it alot theres way to make move back and forth ....i might do this to on my new build im working on... :mrgreen:
Well, I like the look! :rocks: It looks much sleeker (if a GW can be such a thing); a better adjective would be, "smarter". :good: I'm going riding tomorrow morning to see how it works on the road. The back mount can be permanent, the front temporary. I look at the Cheapo Depot tomorrow and see if they have some 1/8" stock that I can fashion for the front. Here's some photo's of how it stands now.

P7220227.jpg

P7220228-1.jpg

P7220231.jpg

P7220232.jpg

The seat is shot anyway so I'm not worried about any damage that the trunk resting on it or the cords may cause. :nea: By the time I find a replacement (anyone in the collective with a spare K/Q or other fancy seat lying around let me know! :lol:) I'll have the permanent front bracket on. :builder:

Karitoki":2job55qy said:
What about making a bracket to fit to the front nuts and run down to the nut on black brackets on the bag frame??? could use a wing nut to release from the lower bolt and tilt/move it .. you would still have support and maybe more solid mounting??

Joep":2xi2pbfg said:
What about making a bracket to fit to the front nuts and run down to the nut on black brackets on the bag frame??? could use a wing nut to release from the lower bolt and tilt/move it .. you would still have support and maybe more solid mounting??
Sounds good. I was leaning toward mounting it to the shock bolt, but I'll think about your suggestion. As feeble as this setup looks, it was actually fairly secure on rougher roads, especially when I was leaning against the trunk. Thanks for the input.

A good solution to the Vetter trunk is simple. Obtain a seat track assembly from an Austin Healey or an MG Midget, and mount that between the box and the frame. So when you want to ride solo, pull the handle and slide the top box forward. Then you can slide it backwards for when you want a passenger. I've done this mod to "Gwen", and it works like a charm. :builder: :good:

try to adapt this to your bike.

Attachments

• 4269335_Motorcycle_luggage_rack.pdf
    166.8 KB · Views: 102
I havent done that but looking at the drawings it appears to be pretty straight forward, adapt a bracket here or there.

I guess a potential problem could be of the seat width getting in the way.
Is this something you already own or looking at ordering?

I was trying to make same thing for Johnny but it failed and then I found this design on a CX site and saved it. May adapt it in the future for Streak since other 3 have trunks mounted like I want.

Looking at Bella and Trixie it appears that the OEM seat rear will have enough clearance around the bracket to do this on. The OEM bracket goes around the rear seat but the OEM rack would need cut off and dressed up.