Water pump/front cover refresh

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
:rant: :sensored: :head bang: :Awe: :rant: :rant: :rant: :head bang: :rant: :sensored: :head bang: :Awe: :rant:

Houston...WE HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!!! :rant:

:builder:
Not a chance V....that thing is tighter than a ...well...you know......
:rant: I KNEW that wuz gunna happen, too. The other bolt came out nice and neat. This one twisted out about 1/2 round, then started getting tight. I worked it back in, then out a little at a time, unti I got it out about 3-4 turns. I sprayed Zep45 up in there, let it sit, tapped on it a little with a small ball-peen, then tightened/loosened back/forth for a while. I finally managed to get it out about 10 rounds, then....SNAP. I ain't gunna mess with trying to get that thing out....I'll buy another housing. By the time I buy one, and get it shipped, I would STILL not have gotten this thing drilled/tapped.
It's JOE DRUM'S fault, too.....dadgum yor hide! I wanted to check the t-stat, and this is what I get? :rant:

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy: (just kiddin, Joe!)

So....anyone have a good used t-stat housing cheap? :beg:

Might as well post the other pics while I'm here....

My MIG welder got stolen along with all my other stuff....no go on the welding thing. I think it would be better to just replace the dang thing and be done wid it. Now....can anyone tell me if I can get that housing off the engine without removing the carb rack? I know Imma gunna hafta take the elbows back loose at the heads, and pull the two tubes back out, but...can I wiggle the housing out, and, more impotantly..can I even get to the REAR bolt on the dang thing? Once the bolt broke off, I just put everything away, and pulled the door down. Dint look to see how accessible that rear bolt is....

:popcorn:
Thanks Dan(and everyone else!)..I just pulled the trigger on one off ebay...
Still am curious to know if that thing can be removed without taking the rack off....looks kinda tight down in there... :builder:

ok joel :swoon: this is something ....this bike has been way over tughten in the past id say then rain on alot and locking the bolts up ...i have one like that and a lot of the bolts might as well been welded broke half the intake bolts ...im glad your doing so well here ....lesser person would have snaped by know for sure ......gee weez hang in there :rocks: im with ya :clapping: this is getting beyond joking ..... :whip: im fighting for you :mrgreen:

Yeah Ron...that might do it, but I ain't gunna mess with trying to get the broken part out now. I got another housing on the way. I'll mess with this one later, when I have time, and am not so pizzed about it.... :swoon:

I went ahead and bought/ordered a NEW OE water pump today. The front bearing in mine is shot all to heck. That, and the seals on BOTH of the bearings are swelled up, and falling off the bearings. I took the pump apart this morning, just to see what it was made of....not much. A couple of bearings, and a ceramic seal on the impeller end, much like the ceramic seals on a swimming pool pump. If I could locate the sealed bearings, I could prolly rebuild the pump. We have a HUGE bearing supply place here locally I may holler at to see if they can reference the bearings. If not, it ain't no big deal...the pump was f-ed anyway.
So now...I gotta wait until the t-stat housing and new pump get here, and then I'll try again.
I tell ya this....if I have any more problems with this turd, it WILL be for sale, and I'll buy something else to ride....I'm fast approaching the dollar amount I PAID for it, just in repairs in the past few months. :builder: :builder: :builder:

AApple":pj2kecum said:
I tell ya this....if I have any more problems with this turd, it WILL be for sale, and I'll buy something else to ride....I'm fast approaching the dollar amount I PAID for it, just in repairs in the past few months. :builder: :builder: :builder:

That's a tough one........mine was given to me and I still ended up dumping nearly $3800 into it all told! :shock: :smilie_happy:
So......what is the cutoff point? :cool: :popcorn:

ok got a ? how long should it take at 4 grand sitting still should it take to get the gauge over to hot? when running down the rode at 40 mph it heats up to hot but you can stop and idle and it will cool down.almost as fast as it heats up.

mcgovern61":2e53v5qe said:
So......what is the cutoff point? :cool: :popcorn:

Well...I'm reminded of a quote by one of the Rockefeller fellers, when asked "Just how much money do you really NEED?"
His answer? "Just a little more..."

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Naw...I ain't like that, but...I AM getting tired of having to put more & more $$$ in it, and not be able to ride any. Then again...I bought this thing in '08, and haven't HAD to put any money(other than tires) in it until recently...and now it's just killin me. Heck...if I'da wanted a bike to wrench on every night I'da bought a Hardly..... :smilie_happy: