What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dan filipi":3300keub said:
Hmm, solder and drill?
Isn't solder much softer than the jet, I mean won't the solder wear away?

Don't think gas will wear away the solder. I think it's actually harder than the brass jet. I know a guy that does that as a last resort to fix something like this and it has worked fine for him. I haven't actually tried it myself but have a jet I drilled out too big on another bike that I have been meaning to see for myself how well it works. If I every get around to doing it will post something about it. He said he buggered up a jet and put some solder in the hole, re-drilled it with the proper diameter and it was working fine. That's all I know about that.

Last night-took a short ride and changed oil & filter. I use universal 15W-40 motor oil. Wrote down my miles (59,500) so that I know when to change oil again how many miles I will put on this season (even though I have already put on at least 500 miles). It is funny that over a month ago I was often riding in a short sleeve shirt, but recently it has been too chilly or windy to ride much at all.

Also, I status checked my charging system: 14.8 volts at idle-excellent! BTW: I did solder my stator (yellow) wires when I got the bike, at about 42,000 miles.

joedrum":oca0qbr9 said:
yes they will fit...the 80-81 1100 carbs were just insane with gov regulation of user infriendly setup...i mean look at the mixture screws ....they are well performing carbs when right ...if you do get this right mix atf in the gas to keep them that way ....

seems ive seen jet sets on ebay site or something im not good remebering stuff .....others are much better than me on finding stuff :headscratch:

So, as I understand it the 82 carbs are the same just have the screw in low jets?

anyone know the difference in the numbers? The carbs I have are 48 A SF. Somewhere I read something about 49A. I Forget what's the difference is.

Does aft=automatic transmission fluid? What brand do you recommend and how much do you add? Still trying to get my 83 running better!

6 to 8 oz brand dosent matter much or kind there about the same in there gas enhancing qoalities ...there probably is a better than most brand or kind of atf but i really dont know it ....it wont fix a really missed up carb that needs attension but it dose clean up up the carbs well when there marginal ...it also cleans cumbustion chamber and actualy makes the gas more powerful....

ATF is automatic transmission fluid, right? I never heard of mixing it with the gas. Right now I use MMO and it seems to run better.

worked on front tire/fender rub issue. Everything tight. Loosened fork brace off in case it had something in bind. I think its just fender flex as that tupperware is pretty thin in that area. I'm going to a narrower front tire anyway, I do not like this Maxxis. Got down under to do some more measuring for future project and found a leaking seal at the driveshaft and final drive. The fix-it list continues to grow. :fiddle:

I looked it up in my Haynes manuel and seemed to be pretty straight forward. Probably be a good idea to go ahead do all the maintenance to the final drive, wheel and brakes while I'm in there along with the u-joints and be done with it. I changed gear oil in it last summer and put Mobil 1 synthetic in it and it wasn't leaking then. Hope that didn't cause it to start leaking.

Bought my Wing a partner shown below (wendnesday) and another one today but its an 82GL1100 parts bike (to keep my other three parts bikes company :music: )

Finished up the rack O carbs. Cleaned the grease and grime off the engine. (no sense putting THIS rack on a dirt bike).

CIMG3489.jpg

CIMG3488.jpg

Finally fished out that low jet that refused to lose. Had to get another tool and modify THAT to get that sucker loose. Anyway salvaged all the low jets and they were dirty and a mess. I think all that black crap is from the disintegrated Air Cutoff Valve. The jet on the bottom is after cleaning.

CIMG3484.jpg

someone":3qdu8xyd said:
What did you do to your Wing today ?

:rant: I cussed at it for having a stator that don't werk, which means I cain't ride.... :sensored:

Well, didn't have anything else to do so I finished up the carb rack and put the beast back together. 1 shot of ether Varooooommmm..... That is one bad ass sound with nothing stuffing the hole up.

I bench synced the carbs and as I suspected, ..... Perfect. LOL

Set the idle down around 600 and slammed on the throttle ... not a miss. So I adjusted the idle back to about 950, jumped on and went for an test ride that ended up 30 miles or so. Bike is like a totally different animal now. I've never ridden an wing before this one and the guy that owned it didn't know what he was missing. It is like night and day. Sweet and sour. Black and white different. This is going to be fun riding. Thanks for all the input from you guys it helps to know you can dive in and should you screw up there's a shoulder to cry on.

Will take some photos today or tomorrow and post .... right now I'M GOING RIDING........