white 4-150 ATV project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well its official tractor is bought ...now it time to figure out how to get it LOL....tractor is 238" long ....142" wide with duals on ....82" wide with singles ...sheesh ......good problem to have have....glad its bought ...768mile one way trip....probably have to take the duals off ..they will take up quite a bit of room also ....my my :shock:

ok ive been looking at all the info i can on this tractor ...not much different than one would go after a oldwing project ....when the articulating 4wd tractors came out they were all farmer inspired ..this tractor came out when tractor manufacturers started getting into the 4wd thing from being mostly into 2wd big tractors ....at this time white had there biggest two wheel drive tractor of about 150 hose power ..so they took two rear ends of the time and mated them together and put the 150 horse power package in this tractor ...this set up included three speed shift on the go set up called a over and under unit ...when tractor was made it also was done with inline drive .just like big 2wd tractors of the time ...this is the only articulating tractor ever to be set up this way ..it makes for a shorter in height tractor by about 2ft ..thats huge really in stability in the field on sloping ground ...with the bull gear drive line this tractor has and no planetaries ..four in total on tractors with planetaries.... this tractor has a base weight of 14000lbs this is about 2 tons less than the improved version of this same tractor a few yrs later ...the problem is with these tractors is that they are so weight distributed well ..that they dont slip much at all and people overworked them cause they wouldnt quit going ..most tractors have a point witch they give up and wheels spin and takes the load off of tractor ...sometimes these 4-150 tractors would tear the driveline up instead ....so one has to use smart hands with something like this or you will break it ...from to much traction for its own good

it is also very light footed tractor and can dam near walk on water or as i like to call them the no trouble at all tractors ..my masseys furgusion was like that but it was at least 18000lbs tractor if not more i cant remember its weight ....

this type of tractor is what i call a 80% in use ...you keep the power down to a good pull level and ride it out there ..no sense ever gambling on its traction to give up a save the tractor it wont ..but at 80% it wont hurt itself either and you never get into getting stuck with this set up ...i never did in the massey and i did some fields others wouldnt touch cause they just never seemed to dry out enough to farm witout getting stuck constantly ....

with it wide spread duels and low height it will handle any bank no matter how steep ...and with pto ..three point hitch ...it has all the things needed to operate many ways safer than most any other type of tractor ...hopefully this point will keep it busy for me to use :mrgreen:

Well all Joe and Christy stopped by today. He and Christy in a nice VW following are on the way north. Stayed a few hours or so we had lunch at a nice county restaurant close by. Had a great visit. He left here around 3 30 Which is Citra Florida. Looks like 12 13 hours or so. Hooch is running great. Water and oil toped off just a little. So on to the TRACTOR. Jerry

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190317#p190317:faot1j2b said:
jpwinger » 4 minutes ago[/url]":faot1j2b]
Oop's didn't realize this is Joe's Topic. Jerry
Lol no I didn't mean it that way. I meant thanks for letting us know all is well and they are on the way.

Ok ...I'm finally someplace with Internet access..been here a week ....trip did go well..will be picking up tractor next weekend....be awhile before I get things up to par at new home place.

I'm actually in Indiana now ....me and my son Jonas are living together now....where it at is farmland... I'm going to do quite a bit of work eith it on the 10 acres we live on while I bring the tractor up tp par ....it seems the tractor gamble was very good I made....seems the tractor was used very little in its life time ...cause it came with no air conditioner....seems tractor is way more rough looking than wore out from use.....on first looking at things ...seems to be a lot of life yet in this tractor .....I do hope to farm with this ....farmer from down the road has already been looking at it and mention how well it could use in our area ....plan to do some serious looking it over today...thanks Kerry ...I think it's a great project for me....

Great to hear that it was a good purchase with a bright future for you. :good: :salute:

Well the tractor project is going going good so far ....a lot of things have been upgraded on this tractor .....issues seem so far to be small for a tractor of this age and type .....the biggest thing so far seems to to be a driveshaft mod needs to be done ...these tractors came with poor design driveshafts that don't slide right where the pivot joint is ....this cause and imbalance power transfer ..that over time stresses one joint more than the other .....so it's driveshaft making time ....looks like a month or two of work to get things all up to par ...like the tractor a lot and also where I'm at ....
Seems all the roads around me are great biking roads and I actually have to go somewhere to find a road that is not a good biking road ....hope to get things up and going soon to have computer and stuff some can take pics of everything .....

image.php

The articulating joint on these tractors is something....these were and still are the best turning 4wd tractors ever made...in this pic you can see the driveline shaft is more than a joint in the middle...it's about 3-4ft long and centers over joint ..reducing the joint movement as in angle ..of course it adds a joint ...but this makes the tractor turn at speed much better than all others out there .....same with pto shaft also ....this is the best 4wd pto tractor also ...others have huge vibration problems and have to keep power down ..most have noto as this problem is huge on a 4wd bend in the middle tractor....

image.php

This pic shows the leak I'm having at the hydro pump .....pump seems rather new and the leak is in all the plumbing there ...I'm sure it will be a nightmare to fix ...but not costly

Latest posts