Will's 79 Single Carb Conversion

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ansimp! I'm not super worried about the heat and the plastic myself, but I'm going to trim it down so it fits the contours of the vw manifold and 2 to 1 so it's not just sticking out on the corners. That should reduce the effect any heat might have on it too.

Wife just about passed out when I came home from my "shopping spree" at Napa today. Apparently it's not normal to spend $150 in one trip to the parts house. :) I got my Gold Flex Fleet #630 and #632 hoses, fuel line, fuel filter, hose clamps, gasket material, antifreeze, blue loctite, blue RTV, starter fluid to check for leaks, pb blaster, ATF, brake fluid, shop towels, exhaust reducers ordered, and 1/8th brass fitting for the fuel inlet on the carb. Ran to lowes and grabbed a new primer bulb for my gas trimmer and some longer bolts for the carb to bolt to the 2 to 1, since I was barely able to get the nuts to thread on. Forgot to get a steel or aluminum plate for my 2 to 1 adapter, so we'll see how the plastic does for now!

Wife recommended that I buy a 79 Gl1000 parts bike I found on Craigslist... going to pick that up tomorrow. The lady who had it just lost her husband about a year ago and had the bike he pulled parts off to get another 79 going. The parts bike I bought is mostly there and in good shape, and a couple boxes of chrome harley parts and body panels she's throwing in with it as he owned one of those too. The parts look brand new. She told me "I've got all his memories, I don't need all his junk anymore!" I almost said "Ma'am, this 'junk' is probably worth a couple hundred bucks", but she just wanted it out of her shop, and I was more than willing to pay what she was asking for it. Not only will I get the parts I need to get mine running, but selling the unused parts, I'll likely more than get my money back on it. She said it doesn't run (missing carbs), so not sure what state the engine's in, but has a vetter fairing in good shape and a vetter trunk on it. I'll likely shoot some PB blaster into the cylinders and try and turn it by hand once I take off the belt covers. If it's shot, I won't be upset. If it's a decent motor, that makes the deal all the sweeter! It's been a good week for this project!

At work now until 6am tomorrow, and working tomorrow night 6pm-6am Sunday morning. I imagine I'll get some sleep, but not expecting much with all this excitement. haha! Sunday-Wednesday are going to be awful busy. My wife tells me "you better get your butt out into the shop and get that thing running this weekend.."

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125120#p125120:3lnpoo2z said:
canuckxxxx » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:01 pm[/url]":3lnpoo2z]
You've got a great wife if she's telling you to buy more bikes and to get out and work on them. :whip:

Well, we're in desperate need of a second vehicle, and this bike's been in our garage for the last few years, so I'm sure that's where her enthusiasm is coming from. :hihihi: Haven't been able to afford to get it going until her home business started taking off a few months ago. What she doesn't know is that the garage will slowly become my motorcycle storage facility. Eventually she'll change her tune and tell me to get rid of some of them. :smilie_happy: Just wish I could get some AC in there.. :heat:

Here is my throttle set up like requested.

Attachments

• IMG_20140712_141211[1].jpg
    IMG_20140712_141211[1].jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 150
Thanks Kraig! Looks easy enough! I love those L brackets. I use those things for everything.. probably a lot more things than I should! lol

Got the parts bike home and found a bunch of extra parts in the trunk I wasn't expecting. The PO lost the keys so he removed the false tank shelter to get the air cleaner off, and stashed the gauge cluster in there, which I thought was missing. Headlight bucket is still attached even though the vetter fairing is on there. The original carbs were missing, but i'm clearly not worried about that, and I've actually got an extra set at my dad's. For $400 I'd say I made out pretty well. I was looking on spending that much on parts for mine off fleabay, so hopefully I can get the parts I need, sell the rest and make my money back. :) :)

I have everything I need for my runners, fuel lines, etc, so I'm hoping I can get it to start tomorrow! Pictures and hopefully video tomorrow!

Attachments

• 00d0d_4PLl11LVdAL_600x450.jpg
    00d0d_4PLl11LVdAL_600x450.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 141
It's alive!!!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTo0vrO09Ws&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The video is from the second start. After it did the first time (and scared me when it did) I had to get my wife to take a quick video. This is without the electric choke hooked up. I'm not sure where the best place to wire that to would be.

Either 2 or 4 is putting out a little bit of white smoke but seems to be clearing up. I pulled the plugs and checked them a few hours before starting and shot some pbblaster into the cylinders and cycled it a few times. Brand new oil and topped off on the radiator. I just need to hook up the choke, throttle, and adjust the carb. I kept the RPMs down because its been several years since it's run, and I don't wanna over-do it. Still need a front tire before I can ride it!

I'm so excited! Thank you all for the help and encouragement. I honestly couldn't have done it without you guys!

Attachments

• 20140715_212345.jpg
    20140715_212345.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 20140715_212313.jpg
    20140715_212313.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 120
Thank you guys for your help! After the video I tinkered with it some more and could get it to idle well around 1000 rpms. Sounds like its got a hot cam in it. :) I didn't have a chance to check it for leaks but I will today before work. I'll post another video when I get the choke hooked up. Any words of wisdom on that? :)

Thanks folks! I've got more pictures/video to upload this weekend. Still gotta hook up the electric choke and get my air filter squared away. I'm happy to hear it start and run!

When I had the electric choke on the one barrel EMPI hooked up, I ran the postive off the accessory connector on the left had side of the shell. I ran the positive to the lead on the choke, and then hooked a ground wire up to the base of the carb on one of the mount bolts and ran that back to the negative side of the accessory connector. This way the carb was grounded.

I removed my choke on my setup. Later this winter I will play with a manual setup. Probably running fast as the high idle is contrlled by tthe choke too, it wont back off until the choke element heats up.

Congratulations by the way, its one heck of a feeling to hear them run.

Got my air filter adapter plate RTV'd to the air filter base last night. Pointed the carb with the choke facing forward, so I had to do some extra cutting on the air filter base to get it to fit on sideways, but it works. Hooked up my throttle cable. Just have a few things to do there. Talked to my dad last night and he recommended running the electric choke wire to the accessory terminal, so I'll probably get to that tonight after work or tomorrow, but it's getting there. As soon as I have the choke hooked up I can tune it. I need to check plugs to see where I'm at there, and I've got exhaust leaks on the new mufflers where they meet up to the header so I've gotta solve that too.

Thanks Krakum! I was going to ask about grounding the carb, so that totally answers that question. Thanks!

Learned a valuable lesson this weekend about shutting the fuel off. I had a Pepsi bottle IV with a few ounces of fuel in it hanging from my throttle grip and forgot to take it down after I was done working on the beast this wekeend.. went out to hook my choke up and the fuel was gone.. the carb flooded so I spent a couple hours disassembling my single carb setup.. wiped everything down.. let it dry out for a day.. got it cleaned back up and re-assembled. As soon as I get things put back together I'll have an update..

Latest posts