Winter build

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekvh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up an 85 1200 motor with starter for $200. Has 150 compression on all four. No idea on the stator yet. What to do, what to do? I have an 83 std I just pulled into the garage and began stripping. I have a set of 75 heads. Whoever cleaned the heads before selling to me beat them up pretty good and shipped them improperly so the points shaft broke off. Rules out Dyna or C5 for the early cams. Some of the fools on eBay want a lot for cams now.

I might just get this running with 1200 heads to use for comparisons to the one with 1000 heads. I have a set of 1200 carbs. Then....off with her heads. This time I believe I am going to take 0.040 off before installing.

sounds cool eric ....the cam can be reshafted ...gee what fools that sent it that way ...i got a set of cams and ended up being just one ....i will see today if it is the iggy side ....to me having the c5 makes all things possible ..when the ignition is so precise .....

sheesh eric ...i cant help ... like you i have a set of 371 came with the stem broke ... i went and checked the single cam i got ..and great it had stem on it..... then it accured to me this made another set for me...and i cant give that up ...me like you think everything of the 371 cams and the 1000 ignition .......

sorry eric if it was for the stemless cam set i have i would have been open to send it to you

I should measure the cams to see how worn down it is before getting too far. It will be perfect drop straight into the 1100. No new head gaskets needed that way. I may shop for a different set of cams. Looking forward to a single Weber trial too. Lots to do this winter.....thank goodness.

1200 pic.JPG

1200 pic left.JPG

A couple pics of the 1200 I bought. Is this an efi being that it has the coolant hoses to the back? Must have been the one for preheat and now has single carb written all over it.

Seriously it must have been efi? I don't recall those hoses on the others I have seen. It must have the same water pump cover that Dan posted a while back for heat.

Never messed with and EFI version but from what I'm seeing and what I've read, the front water pump cover, coolant hoses to the rear and the drive off the rear of the right head is suggesting to me this is an EFI engine. My regular 1200's are not set up like this engine. The EFI version should also be sporting a larger stator.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135288#p135288:1lfhmxri said:
joedrum » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:19 pm[/url]":1lfhmxri]
it some kind of after market or custom deal ...i bet
Agreed there.
I doubt that hose running in front of the belt cover is stock. At least not stock routing, not how Honda did things.
Could be the po was prepping for or was running a heated single carb intake?

I pulled the air hoses off the front shocks and was surprised to hear they still had quite a bit of pressure. I think it's been three years since I put some in. The 1100 motor turns over fine after the long lay-up also. Will do some more ripping tonight. Had the obligatory full complement of acorns in the air cleaner.
WP_002060.jpg

Also noticed the rear rotor looks like it's been turned down.
WP_002062.jpg

Do 1100 rotors have a ridge like this? If you can see it? I hope it's not from a pad dragging that long.

Do 1100 rotors have a ridge like this? If you can see it? I hope it's not from a pad dragging that long.

Hard to say....is yours an 1100??? Then, YES!! :smilie_happy: (Sorry Eric) :hihihi:

That rotor is pretty well scored up. :blush:

Ripping and tearing the 83 down.
WP_002070.jpg

The Magna forks. Look how much is sticking up above the triple trees now. This is on a bike that was raked a bit in the front.
WP_002071.jpg

I plan on raking these forks out on the 83 until the bike is level with the forks all the way out, Probably five more degrees.

Eric,

What are you going to do to rake the fork out? Are you going to try and match the steering head angle to that of the Magna so you get something that you know handles right? :popcorn:

Brian