Wiring in a relay to the coils?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how long these relays will last. They are typicaly used for on off like aux. lights or low frequency intermittent like blinkers or horn. If the relay is mechanical it might also have a delay effect which would probably be insignificant with an electronic relay.

I've had the relay wired in to the ignition on my 78 KZ for about three years now with no troubles at all.

Good question about lifespan.
I have one wired to carry the full fuse panel load, no problem after 20k miles but I did have a cheapy no name on 2 of the driving lights fail after a short time. The one I have on the fuse panel is a bosch.

Not really a big concern if the relay goes bad on the road. You can always connect the hot wires to bypass the relay to get you home or to the next parts store.

slabghost":ipnj2bny said:
Not really a big concern if the relay goes bad on the road. You can always connect the hot wires to bypass the relay to get you home or to the next parts store.

:good:

I think I will wire this in over the winter. Doesn't seem to have a down side.

okay im getting great fire everything is hooked up to the bike as discribe by link on first post ....im assumeing that the red and yellow wire on the honda discribe is the black and white wire on the 77 wing ...then i hooked up to the black and white dual connector ...this must be wrong as it says to disgard ...as it is it runs with starter button pushed in but dies when released...need to figure how to get it hooked up to where the ballist is kicking in when button is released ....im sure this is fixing it as it starts instantly ...i have to go to a wedding ...hope someone figures this out for me seems ive got things wrong but close ....thanks :help: :mrgreen:

Move the wire to the other side of the solenoid. Battery side has power always. Starter side only when starter is engaged.
The 78 KZ has the mod. Go look at how it's wired.

i am going to look at 77 today to see if i can do some good on changing the ignition sustem to something that works good i ve had it with the starter button ....it time to simplify the ignition to something that dosnt have 10 cent switches running the bike :Awe: :mrgreen:

well when i get the 1200 motor in im going to redo the relay hook up ...i have determin that on 75-77 oldwings the ignition hot to coils comes right off the seleniod wire in starter circuirt and feeds the coils ...im kinda thinkinking this why i could not get passed the resisstor when hooking things up to the coils from up top or front of bike to get to coils ...with the dyna i can bypass all that stuff but with points i couldnt the way it was wired ....im going to go completely new wiring upgrade for this bike qalong with the motor change to 1200

Great Mod.

This is Next on my list of things to do, to My 83' GL11

I bought the wire harness for my 86' GL1200 this was a ignition relay wiring harness about 2ft long, that has a relay in it and also has a wire harness with heavier wiring and connects the coils up differently, I a trying to remember. If I do I will post it.

I may have the wiring diagram somewhere.

It was a EC Harness (Electrical Connections) and it provided a heavy ga (12ga or 14ga) wire coming directly off of the battery through a relay and to the coils to provide full voltage to coils.

If my memory serves me, problem is it usually serves me the wrong crap.

The stock Honda set up goes through a length of Small Gauge wire that is 30 years old, and is it's own resistor.

with the EC harness it changes the wiring at the coils.

I would have to go out and look at mine to see how it is wired, I did this several years ago

Using the stock Honda wiring (it is small gauge wire) drops your voltage to the coils

Coming direct from Battery then into the relay provides more voltage

Has anyone checked the voltage at the coils and battery to verify a difference,
and has anyone done this while riding the bike under a load.

Hard to do and dangerous, but it would provide some good info