Would you do it?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess if I was faced with no other way, but just doesn't seem right. Besides it might not get up again, then you'd have to shoot the dang thing :)

To work on a tire I've backed my GL1100 up to the edge of my driveway and then lifted it to the center stand. The driveway is about a foot off the ground level so it gives me a little more clearance.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169039#p169039:23izagz0 said:
julimike54 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:45 am[/url]":23izagz0]
I guess if I was faced with no other way, but just doesn't seem right. Besides it might not get up again, then you'd have to shoot the dang thing :)
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Absolutely not.
I don't even see what is supposed to be easier about getting to the tire that way. The center stand raises the back tire off the ground, and sitting on the ground next to it puts the axle above elbow height.
If I need a lower angle than that, I'd much rather lay myself down than Abigail.

Single sided swing arm is the reason, lug nut type of mounting on the side, & off comes the wheel

Interesting posts, I don't think I would care to lay it down, because I hate picking it back up. I have only had to do that once and don't want to do it again, I'm too old for that.
When I was working, I would take it into the shop, lift a hoist up, run a strap around front and read guards and lift it up high enough where I didn't need to bend over to work on it, but those days are gone.

30 grand for a bike, I can't imagine that, but that is just me. I got talking to a guy last summer, said he had over 30k in his bike. I said, gee, and it only has two cylinders, he didn't have a sense of humor.

Can't argue with the feeling of DREAD, anytime one sees a bike off its wheels, lying on its side! :nea: But can accept the fact that to them it might be a good idea. :roll: After all who has the cash for a table, left after the initial investment, interest, ins, etc? :headscratch:

I have carefully layed them over on a blanket to do various tasks with no problem.
Best situation is to have a table lift but not everyone can own one.
Next best thing I had was combo of a Craftsman bike lift which I didn't fully trust so I further stabilized with auto jack stands.
When wrenching alongside or under an almost 900 lb. beast you want it to be secure.
This is what I did to be comfortable with it:

009.JPG

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=169364#p169364:2pi7ps8k said:
Ansimp » Today, 3:41 pm[/url]":2pi7ps8k]
That looks great Terry. :good:
How safe did it feel while jacking it up?

Jacking it ok,
The aprehension came wrenching on it, thats why I went with double safe auto jackstands.
That made it stable and safe to work on.