Not A Wing, But Still A Boxer Engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I bought/traded for my 101st car - a '62 Corvair Monza 4-door. I used to do a lot of Corvair work back in the '70's, so I thought it might be fun to get another one. They're considered classics now, and tend to be pricey, so when I spotted this one, I couldn't resist. It's complete, all original, currently registered, and close by. The owner and his family wanted it gone. He knew nothing about it, and had no interest in it, as it was his father's project car. The odometer reads 44k, and it might be original...

I bought some tires, a battery, 5 gallons of gas, and some starting fluid, checked the oil and trans fluid (both looked brand new), and after 15 minutes or so, she was running! She sounded horrible, like every valve lifter had collapsed! I feared there was no oil pressure, so I had her towed home.

I tested for oil pressure, and there's plenty. Maybe the rocker arm adjusters have loosened up - I don't know. I haven't been underneath her yet.

The engine is an air-cooled, horizontally-opposed (boxer) six cylinder, with aluminum heads and crankcase, and iron cylinder barrels. I picked up a spare, later model engine ('64, according to the head numbers), which will be cleaned up, re-sealed, and installed in the car. I can then take my time and rebuild the original engine properly.

The spare engine has been rebuilt at some point, as it has .030 oversize pistons installed. The cylinder walls look good and smooth, with no ridge at the top, and the heads are in great shape. If I can find a reasonable set of 140 HP heads (big valves and 2 carbs per head), I'll go that route, with a 4-into-1 intake and Quadrajet carb. I built one for a sand rail years ago, and it was awesome!

Fun project!

It was a trip checking it out yesterday. I've never had the opportunity to see a corvair engine up close. Now I'll get to see and hear one running like new!

Yeah the fan belt cracks me up!

Look under your ride on mower and you will probably see a Corvair belt :smilie_happy:
You are really hooking in Steve so I am sure that this will be as sweet as any of your other projects :good: :clapping: :salute:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153439#p153439:hoynmm8q said:
Omega Man » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:54 pm[/url]":hoynmm8q]
Very cool, that fan belt set up is wild. Looks like were're going to lose you to some "Classic Corvair" site. :(

~O~
I'm not going anywhere! I still have the '80 frame, suspension, rims, and probably everything needed to build another engine. One of these days, the mood will strike...

The early Corvairs had problems with belts coming off. They started using a much lighter magnesium cooling fan, and added belt guides to the pullies. Problem solved.

Never knew the Corvair was a flat 6, I did know it was in the back, but not a 6, so how big is it in CC don't do cubes over here. why not transplant a Porche engine, you got more room in the back than a Porker. Looks an interesting project, one was sol recently near me in the UK for 12 grand GBP, but it was a minter.

When they were introduced in 1960, the engine was 140 cubic inches, or 2.3L. It was increased to 145 cu. in., or 2.4L in '61, and finally, in '64, it was stroked to 164 inches, or 2.7L. They came with 2 or 4 carbs, or a single with a turbo, and the HP ratings were from 80 to 180.

The engine in my '62 is a 105 HP, 2.4L, and the one on the stand is a '64 110 HP, 2.7L.

like the porche and vw the corvair is air cooled ... this limits its power gains to a degree unless in air boat or plane ....the water cooled part makes oldwings and subarues in a class of there own .....ive got a subi car it is a fast package with the 5 speed manual drive ...looks just like a oldwing motor really .. i think they copied it ...

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153639#p153639:kytx3aup said:
joedrum » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:53 am[/url]":kytx3aup]
like the porche and vw the corvair is air cooled ... this limits its power gains to a degree unless in air boat or plane ....the water cooled part makes oldwings and subarues in a class of there own .....ive got a subi car it is a fast package with the 5 speed manual drive ...looks just like a oldwing motor really .. i think they copied it ...
Subaru horizontal opposed fours pre date GWs by at least 10 years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_1000

Corvairs have been built with well over 300 HP. Roller cams and rockers, high compression pistons, big-bore kits, stroker cranks, six-pack carbs (after serious head machine work), fuel injection...fun little engines, and under 300 pounds - not much heavier than the Goldwing fours.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153678#p153678:1b93rg4a said:
Steve83 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:58 pm[/url]":1b93rg4a]
Corvairs have been built with well over 300 HP. Roller cams and rockers, high compression pistons, big-bore kits, stroker cranks, six-pack carbs (after serious head machine work), fuel injection...fun little engines, and under 300 pounds - not much heavier than the Goldwing fours.

Now there's a thought, humm in a 1500 chassis!!!

The spare engine is nearly apart. It's in really good shape, just filthy! Whoever rebuilt it used sealer on the case halves, which is not needed - especially on the internal joints.

The rod bearings and cylinder walls are like new!

The copper rings are the cylinder base seals, and are identical to the head gaskets. Sweet simplicity!

I've ordered a full gasket & seal set, and new valve lifters. I'll measure the ring gaps and piston clearances, but I think they'll be OK.

I'm also hoping to install a C5 system, if there's one available that will work in this distributor...

I've already emailed Paul, and hopefully something will work. If not, there are several decent electronic ignition systems out there for the Chevy 6...

Here's a short video of the original engine running. I need to get underneath and check the valve train...it sounds like several lifters are collapsed, or the rocker adjusters have backed off.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km5VizaKc_4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I have a full gasket and seal set, as well as a set of Viton O-rings for the push rod tubes - the main source of oil leaks on these engines. I also have carb kits, which should take care of the rich mixture.

She's coming along...

Sounds a bit rough but it started Not sure if that is a lifter problem though sounds more lik ewe get when an injector is starting to go bad on a diesel, we call it black death. It is that pit pit noise. And it is regular IE it is in tune with the speed of the engine. Does it increase when you rev it, might, just might be a little end going. Either way it is sounding like a metallic knocking sound. But hey other than that it's a runner. And it is even. Winner.

Latest posts