Not A Wing, But Still A Boxer Engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to fabricate some 6 into 6 exhaust pipes for it? 6 short glasspacks should sound awesome!
Maybe arrange them in firing order from one side to the other for visual effects. :BigGrin:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156463#p156463:2cetuchd said:
slabghost » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:18 pm[/url]":2cetuchd]
Going to fabricate some 6 into 6 exhaust pipes for it? 6 short glasspacks should sound awesome!
Maybe arrange them in firing order from one side to the other for visual effects. :BigGrin:
Sounds like alcohol played a part in this suggestion :smilie_happy:

k2-_c8c93534-5590-4624-939c-0145c09a2dad.v3.jpg

Actually this inspired the question. :BigGrin: :popcorn:

Cool! However, I fear that my neighbors would not be too pleased! They're all nice and quiet, and we all get along...I'd like to keep it that way! The only time I enjoy being loud is when I'm playing a pipe organ!

I started digging a little deeper into the extra engine, and found a few surprises! It turns out to be a '63 case & cylinders (145 cubic inches), and '64 high- compression heads (9.25:1 compression ratio). The '64 and later engines are 164 cubic inches by means of a longer stroke.

The engine was recently rebuilt. Unfortunately, whoever did the rebuilding should never be allowed to touch a tool! My first clue was the excessive amount of gasket sealer that was used - it was everywhere! Next clue...loose head bolts. Then...no valve stem seals at all! Finally, there was no top ring installed on the #3 piston! My theory is that there was some damage done to the top ring groove - maybe the piston was dropped - and the ring could not be installed. The builder figures it'll be okay with a single compression ring, and puts it together. Well, the top of the piston starts to disintegrate, and ends up destroying itself and the head.

An undamaged combustion chamber for comparison. The dark areas at the bottom of the head is combustion blow-by, caused by the loose head bolts. The cooling air from the fan blows it down.

The lack of stem seals on the intake valves caused the oily carbon deposits. This may have caused detonation, contributing to the destruction of the piston.

Some positive notes...the carbs rebuilt very nicely. They, and the fuel pump, and extremely simple, and rebuild kits are still available - and cheap! I wish I could say the same for the other boxer engines I've been working on!

I can get a new set of pistons and rings - standard or oversize - for $240. A matching replacement head might be a challenge...I don't believe that the damage to the combustion chamber will polish out.

Maybe a shot peen can restore the heads to usable condition? That's one of the most beat up pistons I've ever seen.

At least the price was right Steve. Shame about the head, hopefully as Slab said it can be cleaned up.

Wow, I don't think with a hammer I could tear up a piston like that. Most I've seen is they come out as pieces. Looks like a rat gnawed on it (big mechanical one)

Time to replace that bad blower bearing. I removed the carbs, generator, and finally - the upper shroud. I was expecting to find a rat's nest (sorry, Tony) around the cylinders and heads, but it was surprisingly clean! And it hasn't been opened in 53 years!

The older blowers are steel, and are usually rusted to the bearing hub, but this one slipped right off.

Getting things cleaned up, especially the cooling fins...

When it cools down a bit - it was 102 here today - I'll remove the top cover and replace the bearing. The crankshaft is directly under the cover, so I can have a look at the rod bearings while it's off. I'll probably go ahead and replace 'em, they're cheap!

Damm I am so disappointed that there is not going to be a Rats Nest 2!! :smilie_happy:
Can't wait to see the cover off and the right angle/ bevel drive for the fan belt :yes:

I know it'll all be hidden again very soon but it sure would look good with all that blasted clean with soda or shell media.

Latest posts