1100 vs 1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UH Awh..... 1100's same issue as 1200 with stator ...... :hi: Trust me ! :yes:

Tory":1holkpvu said:
I realize all wings have linked brakes from 83 up.My point is that the best features of the 1200s are also availible on the 83 1100s.(higher gear ratios,linked brakes,cast wheels more room...)

The stator issues are more prone on the 1200s than the 1100s,also are other connection issues.Dont really see anymore stator problems on 1100s than any other jap bike but the 1200s seem to have that reputation.
The 1100s where the first wings built in the states,but with imported parts from japan.By the time the 1200s where being produced honda was subing out alot of the assemblys to the lowest bidders which tended to bite honda in the arse with stator recalls and warrenty work.They where confident enough with there replacement stators to offer a lifetime warrenty.

I am not a "profesional" mechanic,but do enjoy restoring old motorcycles as a hobby as well as helping friends out with there bikes and have had my hands on a fair amount of 1200s.The best thing to do with these bikes ,especially after they have been sitting,is to clean all electrical connections and treat them to a bit of dielectric grease.Most the troubles I find with them is bad connections.Just seems to haunt the 12s

And I still hate the digetal dash of the aspys,even the few that still have all there bars.

As for power,the 1200s do have more power than the 83 1100s,but the 82 1100s where the quickest of all the wings up untell the 1800s came out.But if you are looking for the quickest/fastest buy a sportbike.Nobody said you only get one bike.

All that really matters is what YOU like best.
Alot of oldtimers love there 1500s and refuse to buy a 1800,some folks like the flashier more modern look of the 1200s while others (like me) like the bolder simpler more traditional look of the 1000 and 1100s.

n5mdvcolorado52":njowwha3 said:
UH Awh..... 1100's same issue as 1200 with stator ...... :hi: Trust me ! :yes:

Tory":njowwha3 said:
I realize all wings have linked brakes from 83 up.My point is that the best features of the 1200s are also availible on the 83 1100s.(higher gear ratios,linked brakes,cast wheels more room...)

The stator issues are more prone on the 1200s than the 1100s,also are other connection issues.Dont really see anymore stator problems on 1100s than any other jap bike but the 1200s seem to have that reputation.
The 1100s where the first wings built in the states,but with imported parts from japan.By the time the 1200s where being produced honda was subing out alot of the assemblys to the lowest bidders which tended to bite honda in the arse with stator recalls and warrenty work.They where confident enough with there replacement stators to offer a lifetime warrenty.

I am not a "profesional" mechanic,but do enjoy restoring old motorcycles as a hobby as well as helping friends out with there bikes and have had my hands on a fair amount of 1200s.The best thing to do with these bikes ,especially after they have been sitting,is to clean all electrical connections and treat them to a bit of dielectric grease.Most the troubles I find with them is bad connections.Just seems to haunt the 12s

And I still hate the digetal dash of the aspys,even the few that still have all there bars.

As for power,the 1200s do have more power than the 83 1100s,but the 82 1100s where the quickest of all the wings up untell the 1800s came out.But if you are looking for the quickest/fastest buy a sportbike.Nobody said you only get one bike.

All that really matters is what YOU like best.
Alot of oldtimers love there 1500s and refuse to buy a 1800,some folks like the flashier more modern look of the 1200s while others (like me) like the bolder simpler more traditional look of the 1000 and 1100s.

I've never owned an 1100 but most everyone I know that has, has replaced the stator .. just sayin .... what experience have the rest of you guys had with stators? What kind of mileage have you put on the bike before and after changing hte stator. I bought my bike used (GL1200) and have put 40K on it with the original stator (as far as I can tell anyways)

the po if my 1200 wing changed the stator and now i've had the bike for 5yrs andput only about 12,000 miles on it. i haven't checked it out yet but either the stator is bad or the voltage regulator is bad. if i had an 1100 wing ( and didn't have a 1200 wing ) i wouldn't even look at a 1200 wing i would get a 1500 or 1800 wing if i had the cash

My experience with 1100 stators is that I have an '81 Interstate engine with 169K miles with the original stator and an '83 engine with 62K miles and original stator. I also have my '82 stator but that engine was siezed when I got it in the bike.

My '81 engine fried the stator wires, fried the wires up to the regulator and fried one battery due to the bad connections and overcharging. Changed out the bad wires, soldered the stator wires, swapped the regulator, installed an AGM battery and ran for another few months before swapping out the engine with the '83, all with the original stator.

...... from over active thinking, stators ..... its gone on my 80. Have only 29000 miles on it, bought it with 4200 in 99. I, with out any proof, have blamed this failure at least partly on a set of driving lights I had installed years ago and since removed. Another case of someone who "knows what they are doing" they were constantly shorting out, my thinking going to the constant shorting putting a lot of overload on the stator? Stator was fine prior to lights. If that might be the case could the issue of "bad connections" in the wiring be the source of bad stators moreso than just a defective part - the stator? Just thinking out loud .... and in that vein, the 1200's having more probs than others, was this more the Aspy than the standard or interstate? Thinking Aspy due to intro of new digital technology, why I'd prefer an Interstate than Aspy, personally don't like digital. .........

Had a 1100 for seventeen years, until the motor blocked. Cycle was really running good...

This year I bought a 1200 - the preowner has died, I bought it from his son. And, of course, the alternator is dead... :-(

Have read many of threads here about conversion, hope that I can make it here. Would be great if I could get drawings about measurments from your pulleys...

cu from Germany - Rudi

The new third generation stators from Honda have been pretty reliable (just saying )

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the info, but I am more interested in the conversion to an external alternator. I believe here in Germany until now noone did it and if I do this I can help a lot of people here.

Again: if someone has drawings...

Already seen and I got already a PN from you about this pics here. But the pics alone are not sooo helpful, measurments would be much better...

Since i have a 83' GL1100 and a couple of GL1200's

They are both different, I like them both for different reasons, different riding styles

I think that the 83' GL1100 with it's larger wheels and smaller motor, clutch, lack of Hyd. clutch seems more like a cruiser touring bike, yes that is the category as i see it.
83' GL11 Maintenance is a little more, adjustable rockers, & cable adjust clutch.
The Larger wheels on the 83' GL1100 make for much of the cruiser personality, as they make the bike feel not as sharp in the handling department, turn in is slower.

I think that the 84'-up GL1200, seem more powerful, and are very eager to rev. might be the extra cc's, but the larger hyd. clutch has a Light lever pull, this is Nice.
The 16" front wheel and 15" rear provide a sportier handling bike.

To me the GL1200 Bike/frames feel's more ridged.

With all that said, I Really Like them both, But I would go with the GL1200, I like the Hyd. & larger Clutch, I like the handling, and i like the feel of the brakes better on the GL1200, as it has a sportier feeling for me.

I like anything with a BOXER ENGINE

................ since I started this exploration, a while ago at this point, I have managed to purchase the 83 Interstate I was first looking at, which is going to require some "TLC" to bring her back where she belongs, but she does only have 32000 miles, had been maintained and then left out to fend off mother nature for 2 winters! Its not how shiny the chrome is, its about that boxer 4 and one of the better cruising bikes on the road. She will be brought back to life and with as much modern tweaking as I can figure ..... and that doesn't mean 27 tail lights with fringe, which is cool if you like that! ...... But while the owner of the 83 was hemming and hawing I got crazy and picked up an 84 Interstate with 52000 miles, maintained and clean .... carbs need a rebuild and off we go....... and then theres my original 80 with the bad stator which the plan is to open her up .... 28000 miles ... and go straight to that cafe single seated twisty turny Missouri Ozark BMW in my rearview mirror happy place ........ about 50% done with converting the old corn crib into a place to explore my "wings to the horizon" .... looking forward to some greasy fingirnails and even a few skinned knuckles! When I figure the camera thing out I'll try some show and tell! .......... :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

crowesnest3":2qktkm6t said:
................ since I started this exploration, a while ago at this point, I have managed to purchase the 83 Interstate I was first looking at, which is going to require some "TLC" to bring her back where she belongs, but she does only have 32000 miles, had been maintained and then left out to fend off mother nature for 2 winters! Its not how shiny the chrome is, its about that boxer 4 and one of the better cruising bikes on the road. She will be brought back to life and with as much modern tweaking as I can figure ..... and that doesn't mean 27 tail lights with fringe, which is cool if you like that! ...... But while the owner of the 83 was hemming and hawing I got crazy and picked up an 84 Interstate with 52000 miles, maintained and clean .... carbs need a rebuild and off we go....... and then theres my original 80 with the bad stator which the plan is to open her up .... 28000 miles ... and go straight to that cafe single seated twisty turny Missouri Ozark BMW in my rearview mirror happy place ........ about 50% done with converting the old corn crib into a place to explore my "wings to the horizon" .... looking forward to some greasy fingirnails and even a few skinned knuckles! When I figure the camera thing out I'll try some show and tell! .......... :Egyptian: :Egyptian: :Egyptian:

Your certainly have some projects on you hands but what a great fleet to have. :good: :good:

westgl":7zi6vwdb said:
Since i have a 83' GL1100 and a couple of GL1200's

They are both different, I like them both for different reasons, different riding styles

I think that the 83' GL1100 with it's larger wheels and smaller motor, clutch, lack of Hyd. clutch seems more like a cruiser touring bike, yes that is the category as i see it.
83' GL11 Maintenance is a little more, adjustable rockers, & cable adjust clutch.
The Larger wheels on the 83' GL1100 make for much of the cruiser personality, as they make the bike feel not as sharp in the handling department, turn in is slower.

I think that the 84'-up GL1200, seem more powerful, and are very eager to rev. might be the extra cc's, but the larger hyd. clutch has a Light lever pull, this is Nice.
The 16" front wheel and 15" rear provide a sportier handling bike.

To me the GL1200 Bike/frames feel's more ridged.

With all that said, I Really Like them both, But I would go with the GL1200, I like the Hyd. & larger Clutch, I like the handling, and i like the feel of the brakes better on the GL1200, as it has a sportier feeling for me.

I like anything with a BOXER ENGINE
I totally agree with you, couldn't have said it better :clapping: and with all that said I sold my pristine 86 wing & kept my 82 aspy & never looked back.By the way after having the 1200 for about 6 months guess what :headscratch: alternator died.Go figure. :yes:

Since our bikes are 30+ Years old, parts are bound to stop working.

I don't mind changing out the Stator/alternator, hopefully I will get another 30 years out of the new one

Every time i think about it's a 30+ year old any vehicle, it is surprising to me that they go that long.

You cannot expect the charging system, or any system on a 30+ vehicle to be flawless after so many years.

I have a 58' Corvette, The Charging system, well, the alternator has been replaced/rebuilt. 55 years Old

I also have a 67' Chevy C10 Pickup Truck w/ 350 ci engine, same thing. 46 years old

I also have 27' all steel "T" Bucket 350ci Chevy, 86 Years Old

I also have 2 ea Porsche 914's 71' stock engine & 74' w/ a 04' Subaru engine 42 & 39 Years Old

.........speaking of as things get older things can go bad .... shit I'm going onto 66 this June and still haven't found a good reason to trade myself in for a new one. No doubt there have been some times I'd like someone to direct me to that link that gives me a digital step by step process to build a "old man utlra sound" similiar to the one that will be found in my new "crib" hideaway for shaking down the crud out of those, ah, what do they call those things, ah, oh yea, carburetors! I know for sure there's some "residual chemicals" (?!) from my life back in the 60's ...( ok, my past life!) that are plugging up some of the passages in my cerebral cortex! ... not to mention a little arthritis! Personally, I'm just not so into all this new modern advanced better for you "stuff". I intentionally stayed away from "newer" wings just to avoid "digital" ....... try to answer your I phone with leather gloves on!
..........later............crowe ............ :Egyptian: