1800 engine

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomahawk

Reaction score
Do you think an 1800 engine could be stuffed into a 1100 or 1200 frame without totally building a new frame LOL.

I know where there is a good running engine in a bad frame and getting a good frame would be easy enough,

What d ya think?

i know i could put it in there if i had it ....and if i had one i would probably be doing it just because i had it :smilie_happy: sounds fun to me ...be the first in canada to have a 1800 gl1000 superwing :mrgreen:

joedrum":2x5pdhm8 said:
i know i could put it in there if i had it ....and if i had one i would probably be doing it just because i had it :smilie_happy: sounds fun to me ...be the first in canada to have a 1800 gl1000 superwing :mrgreen:

Ya that's kinda what I was thinking it would be fun. I also bet you would have to lengthen the frame.

Ya never know I might just go for it

:razz: :razz: :razz:

The 1800 frame is aluminum. I have access to the frame for measurement. Wiring would be extensive but doable,

You have me interested now in the subaru idea LOL. I am always building something. My wife thinks I'm nuts but on the contrary if I didn't tinker around with this stuff I would go nuts :shock: :shock:

I am glad you guys don't think it's too loopy of an Idea

Cheers.

P.S. It's good to be back

I had a 1986 Suburu DL Wagon with the 1.8L boxer and that engine was as close to a Goldwing engine as you will ever find anywhere else! It was great and reliable! It was also an EFI engine which I still think the EFI setup can be used on our engines.

gee you lucky dog tomahawk stretching the frame is not that hard .....calculating the mounting points and redoing frame mounts is not that hard ...on the harder side are .....whats the difference in the driveshaft hook ups in relation to the center line of the bike or motor ....i bet there different probably not a lot ...but in driveshaft alinement with only one joint there is no fudging at all....the only way to fix this and use the 1000 or 1100 swingarm would be to move the motor the difference of the misalinement.....i dont think that would be that big a deal .....the misalinement is probaby not more than a 1/2 inch if that ....then there all the electrics and stuff i couldnt even talk about cause i have no ideal how an 1800 is setup ......

i know a hydralic cluth has stop my 1200 in a 1000 frame project dead in its tracks right now ...even now i have the parts bought that i need i havnt herd a thing in awhile about it .....not returning my messages ......so im just taking it .....im sure it will go my way if i keep at it.....

just make sure you get all the electrics that go with the bike and clutch stuff and anything else you can get ....you might need it ....i wish i had been smart enough to have everything that i needed before i started ....just didnt know at first but thats how we learn :Doh2: :mrgreen:

I am an electronic technologist at work in a major steel company here in Canada so the wiring doesn't scare me off at all as long as I have the black box and the EFI electronics the rest is easy.

Your absolutely right about the frame lengthening not being hard. My XS 650 we lengthened and lowered it with no issues . Just with that big engine it will have to be beefy is all.

I feel a project coming on LOL

Tom

mcgovern61":19diemmu said:
Tomahawk":19diemmu said:
I feel a project coming on LOL. Tom
Tom, I'd love to follow that project online! If you do it, keep us posted with lots of pics! :music2:

If I do it you guys will be my mentors. I will certainly take pics and ask for lots of advice.

Tom