1977 Oldwing Seat is Killing Me!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AE6SS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just recently completed a 3200-mile southwestern bike ride and one thing I learned... I need a new seat!

I don't have the original. Someone installed a "custom" seat that is contoured for the driver and fairly simple and squared off for the passenger. It causes me to sit too far forward and the contour rubs the inside of my thighs and applies pressure to nerves. At the end of a tank of gas, it's really bothering me and I have to get off.

Looking for a better design and/or someone who knows how to build a custom seat. I don't know the manufacturer of this seat, but it seems cheap to me.

Looking for a seat guru or a good replacement long-range seat for my '77.

Any ideas?

Steve

I built a custom cafe racer type seat on a stock seat pan. Then had an upholstery guy stitch up the cover. The cushion is carpet padding built up layer at a time and shaped with an electric carving knife (DO NOT USE THE WIFE'S!!). 3M 80 spray contact cement to glue it together (get at auto parts store - it is used for installing headliners). I bought vinyl from the internet but must upholstery people should have some on hand in black.
Photo289.jpg
DSC09999.JPG

My wife thought she'd do something nice for me and armor-all'd the seat on my 75 :shock: I almost slid off the right side of the seat just getting on. :smilie_happy: She meant well. :hihihi:

~O~

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=212854#p212854:watvr7oc said:
Omega Man » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:04 pm[/url]":watvr7oc]
My wife thought she'd do something nice for me and armor-all'd the seat on my 75 :shock: I almost slid off the right side of the seat just getting on. :smilie_happy: She meant well. :hihihi:

~O~
:smilie_happy:
I think we may of all made a similar mistake. :doh: My wet weather plastic pants can be exciting. :yes: