2000 mile shakedown cruise

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewhiterhino

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A five day trip to Montana and Yellowstone proved both the reliability of the Goldwing and the accuracy of the information listed on this forum.
What I learned: :nea: :nea: :nea:
1. In a 27 year old bike you need to rebuild the carbs even if they seem like their working. By the time I got to the top of the first pass in Yellowstone one carb had started leaking and I had some problems with sticking floats.. This made for a difficult time in slow traffic, you had to rev to about 2500 and slip the clutch. Not good.
2. The rust in the gas tank becomes an issue as it totally plugged up the fuel filter about 1700 miles into the trip in the middle of nowhere. I discovered the rust cannot be back flushed out of the filter and continued to be a 50 mile problem until I found a new filter. On this particular 100 degree day filter tinkering got old real fast.
3. I want a bigger filter in case of bad gas, the tiny one doesn't hold much trash.
4. the rear shocks need redone as they consistently bottomed out at all air pressures.
5. I don't like the front rear linked brakes as on dirt the front locks up before the rear.... I dropped the bike once when the front locked and slid out.
6. My sheep skin seat cover wool was only about an inch long and should be longer.
7. The Goldwing is the most comfortable bike on the long haul I have had the pleasure of riding.
8. I can't afford a Harley cause of the cost of the support crew and vehicles. In Wyoming at a gas stop I saw three Harleys all two up being followed by a van and trailer support vehicle. I guess if you can afford the Harley the support is a minor cost!!! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Ready to leave..

Virginia Dale Church in Northern Colorado.

Camping at Red Lodge Montana

Near the top of the pass near the NE Entrance to Yellowstone.

Lunch in Cooke Montana.

After I returned and cleaned up the bike here are some photos of how she looks now.

Dan maybe this one can be my banner photo???

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

yeah one thing about going on a trip is , if something is not quite up to the job it comes to the top fast with all that running .....all in all ID SAY IT WENT GOOD FOR YOU ..... must have hit the cap button.....the bike looks great rhino.....

dan filipi":2tzsj4xb said:
Say Ross, you said the sheepskin should be longer, can you explain a little why that is and what to look for in a sheepskin cover?

The cover I used for my trip had wool only 1 inch long and it did provide more comfort that a bare seat it still had the ability to bunch my shorts when I shifted around.

I believe the longer wool at least 2 inches will alleviate some of that discomfort. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have a pelt with longer wool I tried earlier and it seemed to better lubricate the butt seat connection.. Any length will take care of the sweat connection the vinyl leaves us with. :razz: :razz:

The reason I used the 1 inch pelt was it was black and looked better on my bike. I guess that is a slight sacrifice of comfort for the vanity factor.. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Great tips for us Ross! The bike looks great! I just installed a 2 1/2" sheepskin. I rode 110 miles in 98 degrees plus humidity on the way to the store to get the sheepskin and rode back with the skin on the seat and I can tell you, it makes a big difference, particullarly with sweating and sticking to the seat! Even with the high temps, I could feel air passing through the skin. I have a Saddleman Road Sofa which is comfortable for short trips, but still get sore going more than 100 miles at a shot. With the sheepskin, I could have ridden all day!

When I get back from Seattle, I'll have to post a pic of how deep the pile is! I have a pic of the sheepskin on the seat in this post.

viewtopic.php?p=11062#p11062

Sounds like a great trip reguardless.
I think its safe to say the few problems you had,rust in the tank and dry carb gaskets, where more related to the bike sitting a spell at one point in its life,rather than the accual riding.They like the riding,not so much the sitting.

thewhiterhino":2n1d28pu said:
The cover I used for my trip had wool only 1 inch long and it did provide more comfort that a bare seat it still had the ability to bunch my shorts when I shifted around.

I believe the longer wool at least 2 inches will alleviate some of that discomfort. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I have ridden with the three types of shorts.. breif, long legged boxer and compression shorts.. the compression shorts are best for not creeping and bunching..

Joep":1vdlg5ki said:
thewhiterhino":1vdlg5ki said:

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I have ridden with the three types of shorts.. breif, long legged boxer and compression shorts.. the compression shorts are best for not creeping and bunching..

I'm not sure I know what compression shorts are... :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

they are used in bicycling and other sports.. they fit snugger (without feeling like you have a vice attached) and are made of synthetic fibers and will wick the moisture away better then cotton/cotton blend..