4th gear shifting.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevej's wing

Reaction score
I got my wing done, (well done enough to go ridding) and the one thing that still bugs me about these 1100 wings is the 4th gear shifting.
I have had 3 1100 wings and everyone of them was temperamental on the 4th gear shift.
Is there any secret to getting a good 4th gear shift, maybe synthetic oil.
Some have told me in the past that shift at higher rpms, well how high.
I like crusin, not speeding. I split the case on this build and checked the trans and all the shift forks shift drum and gears, all good.
So tell me the SECRET!
Thanks, Steve J. :head bang: :head bang: :head bang:

they have a sweet spot to shifht for sure I find it more down low in rpm ...just quit forcing things a use touch you will learn your bike spots soon enough like that ..cant figure anything out with all power and no touch

This was so subtle on my bike ('82 1100i)I just started ignoring it... but it's a real thing. It seemed most problematic for me when accelerating hard through 4th and the shift to 5th was slightly funny.

I did notice that 5th is an overdrive and 4th gear is the 1:1 gear. Maybe this has something to do with it.

No heel toe shifter. I use Valvoline motorcycle 10/40 oil.
Thinking of going to synthetic for its slipperiness or does anyone recommend any good oil additives.
My third Wing and same problem on all three. I split the case on this build and had some spare parts from another build from a few years back and examined real close the transmission and other parts to make sure I had a good engine. But NO the trans had to give me fits again. Everything else on the engine works great.
Think I might do the same thing my brother the old Goldwing guy did, BUY A HARLEY!
They have separate trans and they sound good. :wave:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84580#p84580:1w7s45yn said:
Stevej's wing » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 am[/url]":1w7s45yn]No heel toe shifter. I use Valvoline motorcycle 10/40 oil.
Thinking of going to synthetic for its slipperiness or does anyone recommend any good oil additives.
My third Wing and same problem on all three. I split the case on this build and had some spare parts from another build from a few years back and examined real close the transmission and other parts to make sure I had a good engine. But NO the trans had to give me fits again. Everything else on the engine works great.
Think I might do the same thing my brother the old Goldwing guy did, BUY A HARLEY!
They have separate trans and they sound good. :wave:
The only oil additive I recommend or use is ATF. What and how you ride is your choice. I've not tried synthetic oil yet in my wing so can't say if it improves anything. I do run mobile1 in my Kawasaki.

I am not going to go buy a Harley, the noise alone would give me a headache ridding all day.
Wish I could get a brand new 1100 engine for my wing, that would be nice.
I like how wings ride just wish you could find good parts for these vintage bikes.
Oh and we should not be such an exclusive group us wing owners that we could not understand some peoples frustration in a given situation!! :nea:

I see no reference to excluding anything. Many here own different makes and models along with their wings.

well oldwings do not shift great and never have really ..im sure the trans and motor oil combo helps this deal shift harder than others trans out there ....but im hoping its nothing serious for you and it gets better ...

Steve some have tried synthetics and had problems with clutch slippage, some have had poor performance with the modified oils, some swear by only Honda 4 stroke , I just use what ever I buy at the time. Hope you solve your problem. Hope to ride with you this summer. That trip we took from your place up through Corsegold was great. Will contact you later , am on my way to Wash. for a graduation.