75 versus 2001 wing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm an old retired Mechanic , Auto Dealerships , Tractor /Trailer Shops , and Motor Cycles on the side , most of my life , I have owned and worked on almost any kind of bike you can name , and very few things cost as much to keep up as a Harley . if you need to get rid of some debt , and save some money , the Harley is the first thing to go . :popcorn:

Getting back to the original question, there is no way I would not want a new 1800. Little or no maintenance, fast and smooth, great lights. The big Indian is probably more my style but hell yes I would love a new wing. Cost is the limiting factor as are most things in life. With my Gold Witch it might actually be cheaper. Hmmm

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181761#p181761:l3cimips said:
wedoo2 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:25 am[/url]":l3cimips]
Getting back to the original question, there is no way I would not want a new 1800. Little or no maintenance, fast and smooth, great lights. The big Indian is probably more my style but hell yes I would love a new wing. Cost is the limiting factor as are most things in life. With my Gold Witch it might actually be cheaper. Hmmm

I sat on a new one recently.The number one problem I have with all goldwings is I cant stretch my right leg out and get comfortable.Putting highway pegs on the crash bars doesnt work because my 30 inch inseam I cant reach them.plus your legs are splayed way out to keep off the cylinder heads.With a great deal of work forward controls could be made.Maybe even with a lot of fabrication some micopegs could be made to work.On my parts bike if I sit on top of the drivers hump of the king and queen seat the leg extension is perfect.But that looks dumb riding like that.On my other 78 it has a flat seat.I can scoot back to give my legs enough room, but then I cant reach the handlebars.I am going to have to create some sort of pullback device.maybe adapt some genmar risers.Both 1500 bikes and the valkyrie I swore I would never own a goldwing because of the leg problem.But the motors wont stop calling to me.I had 2 motorcycle totals in 2001 and my right leg has been stiff ever since.

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=181765#p181765:mcjef8fz said:
crusierlover » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:00 am[/url]":mcjef8fz]
...But the motors wont stop calling to me.

Oh man, ain't that the truth. I have (and I think we all do) a soft spot for the horizontal layout.

Here's another of mine...

Attachments

• IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    487.4 KB · Views: 132
:music:
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=181835#p181835:yfvrkkq0 said:
desertrefugee » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:20 pm[/url]":yfvrkkq0]
[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=181765#p181765:yfvrkkq0 said:
crusierlover » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:00 am[/url]":yfvrkkq0]
...But the motors wont stop calling to me.

Oh man, ain't that the truth. I have (and I think we all do) a soft spot for the horizontal layout.

Here's another of mine...
file.php

:music: :clapping: :good:

From personal experience you cannot go wrong with a wing period whether it be a 75 or a 01 or a 16 for that matter. I have rode all of them they are all hands down the most comfortable longest lasting rides on this planet. My 87 is fully loaded with every do dad they offer and handles like a 600 lb cruiser they 97 is slightly heavier in the turns but easier on the highway and the 2015 f6c i have rode is like wrestling a bear in a corner but the open highway is like sex on wheels . It depends on what you want if your and interstate guy go with a 1800 if you like back roads in the middle of nowhere go with a 1200 or something in between go with a 1500. Like i said they are all amazing bikes and my 87 has been all over the US and still rides and handles better than a new one until its a long stretch on the interstate over 85 mph . I would honestly be at odds to trade my 87 straight up for a new one and thats a fact because it finally fits me the way i like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181868#p181868:1ba771nc said:
nwhittemore07885 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:10 am[/url]":1ba771nc]
From personal experience you cannot go wrong with a wing period whether it be a 75 or a 01 or a 16 for that matter. I have rode all of them they are all hands down the most comfortable longest lasting rides on this planet. My 87 is fully loaded with every do dad they offer and handles like a 600 lb cruiser they 97 is slightly heavier in the turns but easier on the highway and the 2015 f6c i have rode is like wrestling a bear in a corner but the open highway is like sex on wheels . It depends on what you want if your and interstate guy go with a 1800 if you like back roads in the middle of nowhere go with a 1200 or something in between go with a 1500. Like i said they are all amazing bikes and my 87 has been all over the US and still rides and handles better than a new one until its a long stretch on the interstate over 85 mph . I would honestly be at odds to trade my 87 straight up for a new one and thats a fact because it finally fits me the way i like it.

:good: :clapping: :moped:

yeah, well,you pretty much confirmed what i was thinking.Some bikes were built with planned obsolesence(harley) so that repairs would be more trouble than just trading in a new one.Another brand that was overbuilt just in case someone here ever wants a v twin is victory.Long before polaris owned them the 92 c was introduced.They knew they would be competing with harley so they built the engines to be near indestructible.many guys have 200,000 on theirs.Since arlen ness customized them,created the ugliest bike on earth the victory vision, I dont know about their longevity.

crusierlover":1q18j0ao said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181761#p181761:1q18j0ao said:
wedoo2 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:25 am[/url]":1q18j0ao]

I sat on a new one recently.The number one problem I have with all goldwings is I cant stretch my right leg out and get comfortable.Putting highway pegs on the crash bars doesnt work because my 30 inch inseam I cant reach them.plus your legs are splayed way out to keep off the cylinder heads.With a great deal of work forward controls could be made.Maybe even with a lot of fabrication some micopegs could be made to work.On my parts bike if I sit on top of the drivers hump of the king and queen seat the leg extension is perfect.But that looks dumb riding like that.On my other 78 it has a flat seat.I can scoot back to give my legs enough room, but then I cant reach the handlebars.I am going to have to create some sort of pullback device.maybe adapt some genmar risers.Both 1500 bikes and the valkyrie I swore I would never own a goldwing because of the leg problem.But the motors wont stop calling to me.I had 2 motorcycle totals in 2001 and my right leg has been stiff ever since.
Crusierlover i feel you on the short leg issue but i must say my 87 fits me perfect im 5'9 215 lbs and wear a 34/30 pants that are a fuzz too long. My highway bars still have a little room to come back if needed but i have a slight bend in my knee when my feet are on them . My 97 SE felt almost to big and roomy for me and i had to let most the air out of the rear to touch the ground properly unless i had a passenger on back. It was a huge upgrade for me to downgrade to an 87 aspencade.

Thats good to hear.we are exactly the same size.the 31 inch seat height makes me tiptoe at a light.i can deal with that.i use boots with thick heels.lowering down on fork tubes screws up the rake.shorter shocks kilk ground clearance.i just need to slide back about 4 inches.where are your highway bars mounted?