77 gl1000 engine missfire

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgq700

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All! i have a wierd(to me) problem with a friends 77 naked. i will tell it all, first we had a carb problem so i did a single carb and manif like mine except i used a holley 1bbl from a 62 rambler and after a main jet change, works great!, however it was still down on power but not near as bad as the stock carb set up as they were in dire need of service! away they went! so we ran a compression test and sitting on the bike,left front cyl had 70lbs of compression,left rear had 150lbs. this bike has 38,000 miles. as i pulled plug wires at idle, all made a big drop in rpm except the left front that made zero diff? OK, pulled the head's,it looked like we just caught the head gasket starting to fail on the sealing ring, not blown but getting ready to go. OK!i thought to myself,i pulled the heads (both)apart,lap job on all the valves,seat and cut job looked good,new seals on cam's and valve stems, head gaskets,belts and started it up.. same crap?? All good pulling the plug wires 1 at a time and still left front cyl dead! he has a dyna unit but i dont think that is a problem as the cyl on the other bank,same coil is fine?? So i have a old 80 1100 parts bike and i took the coils and plug wires from that one and wire it up.. NO CHANGE?? Man? I just have no idea?? I have another dyna unit to try on it but i feel it is a waste of time as the unit only triggers a coil not a ind. cyl. Any one here had any thing like that? by the way, now the cranking compression is around 160 in all the holes :help:

Pulling plugs like we do on a car engine can be mis leading on these engines with it's wasted spark design.

I'd pull all the plugs out, pop them into the plug boot and lay them on the grounded head. Crank over and check for spark that way. How do they look?

Have you considered taking the heads and swapping side off course the canvas would need to be swapped to keep the ignition the same... if the pressure comes up on the left front and drops on the right rear you may have a warped head..

I have done both heads and have a crisp blue spark? If i had the stock ign,it would be like a bad condenser? Has me stomped!! :shock:(btw,i surfaced the heads when i had them off with a plate glass and emery cloth)

when we took it apart Dan, the plug looked new,the combustion chamber and piston looked new(washed clean with fuel foe about 1500 miles) and when i put it back together tonight,brand new proper NGK's and even moved them around? ??

The manif is a carbon copy of the 1 i did for my bike only used a different carb. i'll do some pic's tomorrow. No vac leaks, we checked that long ago when i did the conversion. Great throttle and drops down to 800 rpm idle instantly

ok if compression up on all ... its going to work ... there just no reason it shouldn't...tim to ckect for that runner on the cylinder for leaking air ...on the manifold setup up ... seems only thing left not mentioned......just read the new post go through all things again ....

i used the entire secondary ign system(coil's wires and res.caps)from the 1100! I must be tired and missing something minor? Tomorrow is another day!! fuel pressure and fire all present! Dang it!!

Check for a plugged or collapsed exhaust header. Or some kind of blockege in the intake runner. Even spark, even compression, single carb - even mixture...what else could it be? Unless this is an April Fool's joke!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=113772#p113772:13yveafv said:
Steve83 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:19 am[/url]":13yveafv]
Check for a plugged or collapsed exhaust header. Or some kind of blockege in the intake runner. Even spark, even compression, single carb - even mixture...what else could it be? Unless this is an April Fool's joke!
+1 :good: very possible especially with double wall headers. Picture of one was just posted not long ago.