82 goldwing lights and fan

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi i have an 82 goldwing interstate that i just picked up not running needs a fuel pump. when i hook the battery up all the lights come on even with the key off and then when i turn the key on the cooling fan starts running do you guys have any ideas on where to start with these problems thanks

hmmm well non of thats right ... the ignition switch is diffinitly bad ...seems like it has been helped to go bad ...it time to look for damaged everywhere in the wireing and see if you can find ither stuff

Start at ignition switch. Maybe cycle it with the key a bunch of times will get the contacts working. PO might have hotwired the fan.

Welcome to CGW, apache137, from south Arkansas. Sounds like your have a few electrical gremlins running around. When my switches act up, I spray them with electrical contact cleaner, work them and do that about three times and so far mine have always started working right. Might work for you. Good luck.

ok new problem i pulled the fuel pump off and checked to see if the cam moved when i cranked the motor over and it doesnt. am i safe to assume that i have a broken timing belt or tension-er and does that damage the motor in anyway?

well something for sure ...time to take valve cover off and timing bely covers off and find out what up ...broken belt sheared keyway...loose fuel pump end ...there pressed on i think ...but for sure just unhook th negitive battery cable and onlt turn by hand now till things are figured out

joedrum":t8v9fg5z said:
well something for sure ...time to take valve cover off and timing bely covers off and find out what up ...broken belt sheared keyway...loose fuel pump end ...there pressed on i think ...but for sure just unhook th negitive battery cable and onlt turn by hand now till things are figured out
I would do the same thing.

apache137":2wr1age1 said:
ok new problem i pulled the fuel pump off and checked to see if the cam moved when i cranked the motor over and it doesnt. am i safe to assume that i have a broken timing belt or tension-er and does that damage the motor in anyway?

That is never a good thing eh?

Welcome to the site from Ontario Canada

ok pulled the timing cover and the bolt that holds the center gears on was laying in the cover and the gear was almost all the way off how do you get the gears off of the crank do you need a puller? also pulled the right head and i have 2 bent valves but pistons are in good shape does anyone have an extra right head and crank gear s with the center bolt?

wow lots of stuff happen here....its obvious you were flem flamed on the condition of the bike ...but it seems you may be okay ....id say the crank bolt loose was by po after the valves hit ....probably do need a puller maybe ...this bike is going to have to be gone through completely with all the stuff thats not right ...this is a big job now but we at cgw will do the best we can to get you through it all .....

apache137":qgqujx1q said:
ok pulled the timing cover and the bolt that holds the center gears on was laying in the cover and the gear was almost all the way off how do you get the gears off of the crank do you need a puller? also pulled the right head and i have 2 bent valves but pistons are in good shape does anyone have an extra right head and crank gear s with the center bolt?
I have both, but I have to be fair, my head is from a high mileage '81 engine. The head is good, but the valves are worn and the springs are out of spec. Do you need an entire head or just replacement valves?

that would be lucky if its not damaged ...personaly at this point ...id get valve spring compressure and take the valves outof the head thats off ,,,and of corse the cam carrier whatch that you dont loose the tube and o ring deal ...it either in the block or on the head or on the ground already . :hihihi: ...then id clean the head good combustion chamber and all them try and put the good valves in where the bent valves were and see if they fit good as they do on the other cylinder where there was no damage ...if not and they feel good ...you may just need valves and valve seals...

that what id do tommarow or when you can ...buying used heads for parts aint bad idea but id wouldnt trash the head cause a couple valves were bad unless the head was obviously in good shape as is to just bolt on ....but the cost of head gaskets is enough for me to do the best i can on a head