'83 Interstate Resurrection And Restoration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114734#p114734:1xv9c3ca said:
dan filipi » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:56 am[/url]":1xv9c3ca]
Put the 1200 FI in this one :yes:
That's a possibility. I would need to get a swingarm, drive shaft, and final drive from a 1200, and possibly modify the frame for the FI gas tank. We shall see...

Well, she's naked! I cut sections of radiator hose to fill the gap between the headlight ear tubes and the forks, and they tightened up nicely - no movement at all. The fairing headlight, minus its mounting/pivot bracket, fits nicely, although it looks like crap! It will do until I get a proper headlight bucket. Everything is working fine, so I'll try a ride around the neighborhood tomorrow.

Hopefully, next week I'll be able to get the rest of what she needs. I like the look!

i like it .... the headlight looks like something id do in a pinch too ...naked light bucket ...what year of 1000 carbs are those ....?...i ran the vacume advace off the intake horn and it did well on the angry dresser with 77yr early rack and 1000 371 early cams and it was a great running ...

Joe, I have no idea what year the carbs could be. Tony found 'em cheap and had 'em sent to me. They were a nasty mess, but they cleaned up very nicely. I thought about running straight manifold vacuum to the advance unit, but on the 1100 carbs, the advance port is just inside the throttle plate, so no advance at idle, full vacuum advance at open throttle/light load, full mechanical advance at high RPMs.

1000 carbs - before and after cleaning and polishing. No parts were replaced.

Is there a way to tell what year they are?

yes numbers on the top of rack ...75 yr is 755 ...76-764 ..77yr is 764a i think 78 yr is 769 and 79yr is 771 i think ... should be stamped on carb body on top close to plenum on carb three i think it is

I took a few pics of her yesterday after a ride. She still needs a few parts to complete the transition. And yes, those are '82 front rotors. They were cheap, and the '83's were toast!

She's almost ready for a Banner pic!

I don't know if I would be brave enough to give up my crash bars. I must admit that it almost looks lightweight. :good:

Well, I'm a bit annoyed with myself! I bought a new shelter badge on Ebay, it cost me about $35 with shipping - not bad at all.

It shows up today, and I realize it's for an '80 or '81 - with a green background.

Between my bad eyes and my dark monitor, I didn't see the green in the Ebay listing pic. Now I have a decision to make... I would much rather have the proper emblem with a black background, and I don't want to risk ruining this one trying to paint it. It's the first one in over 2 years I've been looking that was there when I had the funds. Hmmmmm I hate being so picky! I just want it as original as possible...

+1 maybe a straight swap for my crappy one which you can paint whichever colour suits your fancy ( pink anyone) :smilie_happy: