'83 Interstate Resurrection And Restoration

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set it in place to see if I like it. Before:

After:

I could get used to it, but I think I'll wait a while and look for another one. The badge on the '82 looks pretty bad, maybe the green would look better on it...at least during Christmas! :hihihi:

I also think the decal looks nasty, but I'm leery of removing it, in case the paint is faded.
Oh, I'm down to my last payment on the '82 - woo-hoo! :party: Thanks, Kim and Tony!!! :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Yeah, it's pretty green, a little darker than it looks in the pic. I thought about spraying it with flat black and wiping it off the gold before it dries, but it's tough to experiment with a new part that's almost impossible to find.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116286#p116286:2oq6fa1g said:
Steve83 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:42 pm[/url]":2oq6fa1g]
Yeah, it's pretty green, a little darker than it looks in the pic. I thought about spraying it with flat black and wiping it off the gold before it dries, but it's tough to experiment with a new part that's almost impossible to find.
+1 maybe just wear really dark sunglasses all the time :music: :smilie_happy:

I installed the new headlight, fork emblem, horns, radiator deflectors, and grab rail, so she's almost done!

Still left to do:
Fix minor oil leak
Rebuild the forks and TRAC units
De-glaze the front rotors
Touch-up, buff and wax the paint
New side cover emblems
????1200 fuel injected engine????

I could get used to the green on black. Very nice looking 83. Do you have an 80 - 81 roller to put the fuel injected 1200 in? I think that's be a sweet combo there.

I received my black 82 badge today and this is a still from a video made through the windscreen with the iPhone in its dash mount.
The gold is fairly faded but it looks alright sitting on the Rats Nest's shelter ( even if it isn't green)
Are all these badges made of plastic or is your new one out of brass Steve?

I discovered yesterday that the badge is gold (or a very similar metal)-plated plastic! The way they're priced, it should be gold plating! With an ohmmeter, I get continuity across any of the gold colored surfaces. I ended up painting the new badge black, then rubbed the paint off the gold before it dried. It looks good, but needs a second coat.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=116923#p116923:3lsp33tx said:
Steve83 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:17 am[/url]":3lsp33tx]
I discovered yesterday that the badge is gold (or a very similar metal)-plated plastic! The way they're priced, it should be gold plating! With an ohmmeter, I get continuity across any of the gold colored surfaces. I ended up painting the new badge black, then rubbed the paint off the gold before it dried. It looks good, but needs a second coat.
I thought it looked great!

It looked really good until the paint dried hard, then some green showed through. I'll just mask, spray and wipe it on the bike - I don't want to risk breaking a pin by removing it.

Sounds good Steve! I do like the black better than the green even if it is not correct for my year.. Mine already has one broken pin. I will use trim double sided tape or some silicon to make sure it doesn't fly off again.