'84 1200 engine for a '82 GW

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161049#p161049:1leu40j3 said:
slabghost » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:42 pm[/url]":1leu40j3]
I have a complete set of 1200 heads. I can't see the condition of the cams as they are assembled.

A pair of known good heads would be nice but I bet the shipping from Ohio to Alberta would be crazy high. That's why I'm thinking of just the cam and maybe a rocker.

Both my heads are actually in pretty good shape other than that one cam and the fact that the exhaust valve seats are way wider than spec due to all the lapping I had to do to get rid of the pitting.

I haven't tried using a whet stone on them so I might give that a shot.

Brian

Yes I've bought a few items that were on your side of the border and shipping was horrible.

If you do use the whet stone. Use lots of oil and just smooth everything over. Both on the cam lobe and the rocker face. The two surfaces should mate up fine through normal wear in use.

Here is something that saved me a bit of money. :Egyptian: I bought a package of 8 valve stem seals for an '84 Honda Civic 1.3L from RockAuto. They are made by Corteco, part number 10139:p. They cost $6.71 for the package.

They look exactly like the old ones that were on my 1200 heads...even the same colour. :yes:

The old one is on the left

Slipped onto valve guide OK

New valve stem seal

Brian

That's what the old man was supposed to have been like, used the same or similar parts, & saved the development, & expense of new ones.

I was looking, on RockAuto, at other engine parts for the '84 1.3L Civic engine: they show rod bearings for 38mm and 40mm journals . Crank main bearing are 45mm. Does anyone know the sizes in a 1200 GW? :headscratch:

Brian

gee thats a loaded ? we have dots colors and all related to bearing ...oldwing motors are great but i have never figure why they did all that stuff ....ive heard it called line boring whatever that means

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161397#p161397:33n7800q said:
canuckxxxx » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:10 pm[/url]":33n7800q]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161383#p161383:33n7800q said:
joedrum » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:02 pm[/url]":33n7800q]
neat ....i bet you save a bunch
Western Honda shows them for $6.66 each :shock:
Pretty much 8 for the price of one the way you went. Great deal. Did you smooth lobe and rocker?

No, I haven't done the smoothing yet. I'm going to show my ignorance here; the stone I have is for sharpening a knife...is that what you mean by "whet stone". The stone I have is fairly coarse. Seemed like it might do more harm than good.

Brian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161407#p161407:2iar89ls said:
canuckxxxx » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:05 pm[/url]":2iar89ls]
No, I haven't done the smoothing yet. I'm going to show my ignorance here; the stone I have is for sharpening a knife...is that what you mean by "whet stone". The stone I have is fairly coarse. Seemed like it might do more harm than good.

Brian

Just out looking at cam and rockers again. Seems like cam lobes are pitted, maybe due to poor lube (like Danver thought). The rockers, though, have grooves wore in them but they also have smooth areas. So maybe with good oil (Rotella) I can get some more miles out of them. Check them again after first 500 miles.

Yes a whet stone is for sharpening a knife and yes that is what I'm suggesting. If yours is course find a fine stone. I lost my little pocket stone but something like that. I'll post this and do a search to link to what I'm talking about. Those grooves are in the cam lobe too. Best to get both smoothed and let them wear together to match up right.

ok ill give my opion on cams and rocker smoothing ......i like to use the thin cut off wheels they make for 4" grinders ....there very thin and easy to hold ...100 or 80 grit is fine for me .....i do it all by hand with lots of touch and feel ...sort of round and round type strokes .....im not looking to mirror finish everything ....i want a sort of rough finish ....i type to get most the wear marks out all if i can ...rockers too ...the rougher finish actually holds oil ......this allows for the motor itself to do the final machining to the cam while in place with lots of oil there....and it just dont get better than that....all my builds get this done ...hooch for example is super smooth and quiet running motor ...people say you will mess up the hardening and all ...just a bunch of bs crap ......though cams have considerable pressure on them ..it is a circle though quite egg shaped ....once the motor mates these part with oil holding finish ...they a done bouncing off they cams and hammering ripples in parts and it goes the other way getting smoother and smoother all the time ...this is how you make a high revving motor ..the joedrum cave tech way ....hooch is a high revving no noise motor big time ...hope that is explained well ...never push down on cam or rocker ...just let the wheel stone do the cutting ....only your hand can prevent bad cutting ......

Well now that winter is here I thought I would put the 1200 heads on my '84 engine. :builder: Pulled the 1100 heads off and found an unusual wear pattern on the bottom of #4 cylinder. :shock: Almost looks like the smooth, shiny cylinder surface has been worn away at this spot. You can feel some roughness along the edge. What do you guys think? :beg:

image.php

image.php

#2 right next to it looks normal
image.php

Thanks
Brian

valve is scraping it i think .....you have a 1200 motor with 1100 heads on it ...without doing some piston relief id say the valve getting shoved over a bit...you look to be very lucky brian it has failed big time :shock:

Latest posts