'84 1200 engine for a '82 GW

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so I have gone ahead and assembled the crankcase halves with no O-ring on the oil pump screen.

But I am having a problem with the transmission shifting. I can turn the engine over with a socket on the end of the crank. I have the shift lever on and am trying to shift through the gears while turning the engine. It doesn't shift. The shift mechanism does turn the shift drum.

I never took the counter shaft assembly or the shift drum out of the case...just the main shaft.

Any thoughts
Brian

Think I had that problem once when assembling. The forks might be jambed. Try turning the engine back and forth while shifting both up and down firmly. Hopefully the forks line back up.

I separated the cases again to try and figure out the gear shifting issue. Took piston assemblies #2 and 4 off again so I could turn engine over and fiddle with shifting.

Didn't find anything out of line. Poured oil over the shift drum. Turned the engine back and forth while trying to turn the drum with a crescent wrench on the end. Finally got it to shift through all the gears up and down. Put it in neutral and put the left case on and shifted using the shifter.

I think it will be fine when the shift drum is running in oil and the engine has everything moving.

Brian

I bolted Pistons 2 & 4 back onto the crank. Here the setup I used to put the left crankcase over the pistons.

Set the right crankcase on it's side using wood blocks to make it solid. Turned the crank until the key way is straight up so both Pistons will be at the same height.
Then I put a piece of scrap steel :eek:k: into the teeth of the gear at the back of the crank so it wouldn't turn.
I made 2 wood blocks out of 1" x 2". Drilled holes and tied string so I can pull them out later.
I wedged the wood blocks between under each piston and the top of the crank.
To pull the pistons down against the blocks I wound a cord around the conn rod of #2 pulling it towards the top of engine and around #4 conn rod so it pulled toward the bottom then tied the cord tight.
For ring compressors I used 3/4" wide steel strapping with screw clamps around them.

The moment of truth is when I lowered the left crankcase over the tops of the Pistons. You have to line it up and then push it down assertively. :heat:

Then fish the wood blocks and ring compressors out. :fishin:

I have put the front cover on my 1200 short block.

Then I got bright idea to pre-lube the engine: tilted the back end of the engine up with a piece of 1" x "4, poured oil in while watching for any coming out. With the oil pump drive sprocket off I put the Allen head screw in and turner the oil pump with my drill. I expected to see oil squirting out of the oil passages to the heads. Turned it for quite a while but no oil. Should this work? Does the engine turn the pump way faster than my drill? Am I going to screw something up doing this?

Brian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185249#p185249:2mr36o61 said:
PurpleGL1200I » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:16 pm[/url]":2mr36o61]
Make sure you are turning the pump in the correct direction.
I'm turning it clockwise as viewed from the back. Pretty sure that's the normal direction.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185251#p185251:4wngofkp said:
canuckxxxx » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:20 pm[/url]":4wngofkp]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185249#p185249:4wngofkp said:
PurpleGL1200I » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:16 pm[/url]":4wngofkp]
Make sure you are turning the pump in the correct direction.
I'm turning it clockwise as viewed from the back. Pretty sure that's the normal direction.
It's amazing how well that pump works when you turn it in the right (correct) direction. The engine turns clockwise from the front but counterclockwise from the rear :head bang: :head bang: :Doh2: :Doh2: . PurpleGL you called it and I should have listen better.

It bugged me so much, that it wasn't pumping oil, that I took the front cover off and took the pump out. Took it apart and inspected everything: pump is in great shape.

Anyways, driving the oil pump with a drill from the back is a very easy way to pre-lube your freshly assembled engine. I now know that I will have oil pressure as soon as the starter spins the engine over.

Brian

Life can be hard when you're not too bright.

BTW, I posted the same thing over at NGW and the experts/thought police over there did not like the idea of pre-lubing, that I was trying, at all. Not the way they do it so not to be considered I guess. :nea:

CGW very open minded.

Brian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185368#p185368:1rbxf2ri said:
canuckxxxx » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:24 am[/url]":1rbxf2ri]
Life can be hard when you're not too bright.

BTW, I posted the same thing over at NGW and the experts/thought police over there did not like the idea of pre-lubing, that I was trying, at all. Not the way they do it so not to be considered I guess. :nea:

CGW very open minded.

Brian

gee wizz ...what kind of coco nut tech talk is that ...ive always pre lubed things ...anything that uses oil should always have it :shock: