'84 1200 engine for a '82 GW

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably took about 1 1/2 hours. Seems like it takes forever to get so the ends don't overlap and then it doesn't take long to fine tune the gap. The way I feel now I will just do one ring a day or maybe one in the morning and another in the evening. I tend to get impatient and that is when I make mistakes so will go slow.

I should mention that I tried a fine file in the vice. The thinnest one I have is about 1/8" thick. Because of the thickness the ring ends do not end up being square to each other. Maybe a thinner file like a points file would work better. A file takes the ring material off faster.

Brian

The other thing that I considered is that, when these same rings are used in a Chevy Tracker, the spec used for ring end gap is minimum .008" . So I'm trying to compromise a bit to the higher side of the Honda spec.

PISTON RING FILER
35-8725
File piston rings with
this portable rotary
file. Use to accurately
size any make or
diameter ring

Wish i knew how to copy the picture as well, :rant: from K & L Supply :good:

K & L Supply has the most user unfriendly site I've seen in a long while or it caters to logged in dealers only. Looked for the filer.

You don't have to patronise them, :whistling: just look at the picture :yes: to see what's available. :read:

Just did the top ring for cylinder #1. It's made of something way harder, maybe chromoly. For this one I marked the overlap and then trimmed some off with a cutoff disc to get it closer before going to the sandpaper-in-a-vice method.

The sandpaper is slow and tedious :builder: :Awe: but is pretty accurate and little chance of accidental overshoot.

Had a good day yesterday. :builder: Rings for #1, 2, and 3 are done. Compression rings all at about .005". Will do #4 today.

Some things that speeded things up: I marked overlap and trimmed ring end with small cutoff disc before going to sandpaper. Went to Canadian Tire and bought some new sandpaper.

Brian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185035#p185035:rx2t7uxn said:
dan filipi » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:48 am[/url]":rx2t7uxn]
Sounds good. What is left to do before assembly?
Shouldn't be much to stop me from assembling the short block. I will take a close look at the front crankshaft seal, but it didn't leak before so don't expect to change.

Brian