84' Valkyrie, Building a 4 cyl. Valkyrie

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westgl

Reaction score
I want to build a 4 cyl. Valkyrie Solo Seat.

It started life as a 1984' GL1200A Aspencade

I guess the question is what color frame, and body parts or the items listed below

I will need to paint the following items;

1. Front & Rear Fenders
2. Tank
3. Engine
4. Calipers
5. Wheels
6. Frame

Yea it's been sitting so they are a little dusty

Here are some pic of it before

Attachments

• P1010566 compress.jpg
    P1010566 compress.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 582
  • P1010568 compress.jpg
    P1010568 compress.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 578
  • P1010570 compress.jpg
    P1010570 compress.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 576
  • P1010571 compress.jpg
    P1010571 compress.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 582
Since i will be using a Valkyrie gas tank I will not use the stock under seat tank.

The area under the seat will be open and the rear part of the frame will be trimmed exposing the rear of the bike's Tire, Wheel, & Suspension.

The battery will be relocated directly under the front of the seat on it's side,(AGM batteries are leak proof) as that part of the frame will be trimmed away and will be wide open.

Let me start off by saying I am not a fan of BLACK, I do not want anything on my bike painted black, I dont even want any cables black.

I did see a bike that had a Ivory colored frame and fenders and tank that looked really nice.

I was also thinking since it would be a Valkyrie, so a lot of chrome/Polished alum. or painted chrome color, the wheels would be nice painted chrome color & triple tree chrome paint.

Polishing the following items.
forks lowers
carb tops
valve covers
Timing belt covers

I would like to have the seat re-upholstered in a brown leather. Or find somebody that has a leather seat cover for a 2002 valk seat.

i just want to go to your shop for a day ...im trying to set up my building like your shop ....and do projects like your doing ....im so impressed ....ihave several 1200 projects going on ....but im totaly unfunded mostly and do the best i can ....id sure like to have valk seat and tank to mod to a oldwing frame ....that in itself take care of the fuel pump problem and the seat looks great to me ....better than it looks on the beefyer valk ....i can do a lot of things but color cordination im realy lost it seems ...so ill stay out of that there are some here who seem realy good at it ...but im not one :hihihi: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the compliment joe

The colors I also thought about;

Red frame and Red engine, leave tank like it is (this would be the easiest).

Yellow & Cream tank like a stock Valk, and Cream Frame.

Or go more custom,

Candy Orange,

Candy Blue

Hey Joe,

I call this Project Valkyrie Lite.

The goal is under 580-Lbs wet.

Stock Naked Valk 6cyl is 681-Lbs dry weight, The Tourer Valk weight is 714 dry (saddle bags, all glass shield) I wonder how dry that is.

Did I mention NO side covers, as the rear lower part of the frame where the battery sat will be removed(and beefed up in other spots), for better viewing of the rear suspension, & wheel.

yes it is so cool the way your going ...i will have to get better so i can finish my 82 standard with the 1200 implant ....im not sure wht the weight of the 82 standard is ...but im sure its somewhat less than a 84 standard....the gearing is diffinitly lower cause the final drive is different....anyway i have anoher in the works that following the same concept as your bike in this post....and im sure im liking what i see .....its great to have you here westgl as you seem to be like me ....its great that the members can see your stuff as it comes quicker from you ...i am personaly proud of your projects :mrgreen: you like me have muilti projects going all the time :mrgreen:

It is surprising that the 1000, 1100, 1200, 4 Cylinder Naked bike's all weigh fairly close to each other weight wise, and that the GL1000 was not the lightest of them all.

GL1000
Standard 584-Lbs Dry weight

GL1100
All Dry Weights
Standard 566-Lbs GL1100 weighed 18 lbs less than the GL1000, probably use of more plastics.
Dressed 672-Lbs

GL1200
All Dry weights
Standard 599-Lbs
Dressed 698-Lbs
SEI 770-Lbs

The GL1200 was only naked as you know for one year 84'. My 86' GL1200 Interstate weighed 700-Lbs, but now Naked it weighs 580-Lbs wet

westgl":16uwcps9 said:
It is surprising that the 1000, 1100, 1200, 4 Cylinder Naked bike's all weigh fairly close to each other weight wise, and that the GL1000 was not the lightest of them all.

GL1000
Standard 584-Lbs Dry weight

GL1100
All Dry Weights
Standard 566-Lbs GL1100 weighed 18 lbs less than the GL1000, probably use of more plastics.
Dressed 672-Lbs

GL1200
All Dry weights
Standard 599-Lbs
Dressed 698-Lbs
SEI 770-Lbs

The GL1200 was only naked as you know for one year 84'. My 86' GL1200 Interstate weighed 700-Lbs, but now Naked it weighs 580-Lbs wet

Taking the weights listed above, and the horse power & torque figures to get a Power to weight ratio is the best guide line to use.

GL1000, 1978'-79' 584-Lbs / 78 h.p. = 7.48 Lbs per h.p., Torque 584 / 61 ft lbs = 9.57 Lbs per ft lb of torque
or 1975'-77' 584 / 82 h.p. = 7.12 Lbs per H.P., Torque 584 / 61 ft lbs = 9.57 Lbs per ft lb of torque

GL1100, 566-Lbs / 83 h.p. = 6.81 Lbs per H.P., Torque 566 / 64.9 ft lb = 8.72 Lbs per ft lb of torque

GL1200, 599-Lbs / 94h.p. = 6.37 Lbs per H.P., Torque 599 / 77.4 ft lb = 7.73 Lbs per Ft Lb Torque

So the Lightest on it's feet is the GL1200, not taking gearing in to consideration.

These are all stock weights, going really naked, can make it lighter than stock standard weights

Taking this all into consideration the lowest amount of weight per H.P. or torque usually wins.

But lower gearing Can be the equalizer to a better power to weight ratio. although engine revving higher or fuel mileage would suffer if too much gearing.

But Lower Gearing alone does not tell the whole story, as the GL1200 has the smallest diameter of wheels, this can lower the gear ratio also

GL1000 has a 17" Rear wheel I dont have the tire height or what the final ratio would be, for any of these bikes
GL1100 has a 17" Rear wheel
GL1200 has a 15" Rear wheel getting the shortest Profile tire on this Rear 15" rim may give a better Final Gear ratio.

Especially if the Rear tire's over all height when mounted to the wheel, were 1" or 2" shorter than stock, this would work on any size Rear wheel and tire combo going lower profile can provide better take off from a stop and going through the gears.

Hey Joe,

Get better, Cause I cant wait to see that G12 moto in the G11 frame.

The weights listed above are for the OEM Standard (for instance) OldWings they are heavier than our Naked bikes.

My really Naked 86' GL12 weighs 580-Lbs wet weight with more a little than 3/4 tank of gas. Consider that gas weighs approx 7-Lbs per gallon.

I am not sure what the weight differences are between the G11 & G12, as i dont have Engine/trans, radiator/cooling system, weights to be able to tell the difference.

well west im feeling pretty good and just took the 83 100 out tht has early 1000 cams and 77 1000 carbs rack ...it was fun its a beast i call the angry dresser ...it realy moves out ...i surely got the carbs dialed in ...it hardyly ever hicups at all ...just a great setup for the 1100 motor in my opinion ...im hoping the 1200 will be as big as a bang for effort the 1100 was ...

the 82 will be basicly stock except for 82 ignition ...if it comes off like planed this will be my dresser and the 83 will be nakedize or standard ....

i have a 79 framed 1100 swingarm fitted to it that will have 86 1200 with all 1000 heads cams and carbs 75 yr ....the 1000 final is just to low for the 1200 motors in my opinion ... :mrgreen: fun stuff

NICE!!

I need to research the rear drive and get some final drive ratio's with a given tire height.

I really love the way my 83' runs, It runs really well, and shifts very nice and smooth, but it is Mostly rebuilt (block was un-touched) stock other than a mild head(s) port just cleaned up ports to get rid of imperfections and ledges, to smooth ports and Clean valves and lap valves & seats.

If i were to make a dresser cruiser, I would use my 83' G11, i would put the saddle bags only, NO TRUNK for me, I would put a Full glass windshield, Like the Memphis shades, "Memphis Slim" shield

But i also really like the 86' G12, It Handles much better than my 83' G11.

The more ridged Frame on the 86' G12 & it's smaller wheels makes that thing really handle great, But i did put new tapered stem head bearings, & new E3 tires.

Both Bikes have the same tire's and All Balls Stem Bearings

hmmm i hope he still like our forum ...i like him a lot and he had all kinds of projects going on ...kinda like me ...but he is much better funded ....hmmm the 4cylinder valkery is going to happen with me oon also ....yea buddy i like out of the box mods and my own engineering program ...of connect the parts that dont go together :builder: need a hammer ... :music: now it fits :hihihi: :mrgreen: