'86 Saddlebag lid gaskets

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julimike54

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Gl1200AS
I figured I'd prod the collective to see if I kind find the best answer.

The rubber for the saddlebag lid seals resides in a groove in the top of the bag. The rubber is popping loose in numerous places making it tedious to place the lid back on the bag.

My question is what would be the best adhesive to use to put these gaskets back in place? Should the rubber be pulled completely loose, clean rubber and groove? Just glue down the loose bits and keep going?

Don't know if there is a correct answer?

I've the same issue. I plan to use contact cement but haven got around to it yet.Plenty of other suitable adhesives out there. If you plan to ever replave the gaskets maybe RTV would be easier to remove when the time comes. Personal choice I guess.

I`m a big fan of E6000 adhesive. you can buy it at walmart or hobby supplies, comes in black and clear dries with the same elasticity as weatherstripping rubber and adheres to anything..it is runny but tacks up pretty quick just a dab will do and cost under 5 bucks. it is in the hardware section.

I have used 3M weather strip adhesive for years and it works great a little on each side let get tacky and stick it down

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk