A Goldwagon?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AApple

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 Innerstate("The Turd")SOLD!!, 1996 GL1500 Innerstate
Hey ya'll...for those of ya that don't know, I'm an automotive transmission guy, meaning, I build transmissions for a living.
Well....Check out what I've got sitting on a lift at the shop.....came in last Monday for a "Service". Manager had the idjit in the shop pull the tranny out, which means the engine had to come out first. Now, with it all back together, it won't start....the idjit has fried the electronic ignition module, 'cause he didn't make a diagram of the wiring for the coil, or anything else, for that matter. Now I'M stuck fixin the dang thing.... :Awe:

Anyway, just wanted to share this wid my buds.... Enjoy! :mrgreen:

click on image for Gallery pics

thats pretty neat apple .....although i guess on the buisness end its giving you guys some trouble...iwould like to take it around the block or two when you get done .... :mrgreen:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Wow that thing is pretty bad ass lookin... I love the biker crosses on it :music:

Sorry....that's all the pics I took. :(
It's a "Auto-Stick" trans, kinda part automatic, part standard. It has a clutch, but no clutch pedal, AND a torque converter, but the main gearbox is just a standard trans. It allows you to shift gears if you want to, or you can just put it in 1-2-3 gear, and drive. Hi-tech stuff back in the day! :mrgreen: :nea:
The clutch itself is (engine)vacuum operated by a vacuum servo. The shifter is two pieces, with the upper part hollow, and rubber mounted. The lower part of the stick is solid. Inside the hollow stick is a wire connected to a solenoid for the clutch servo. When the shifter is moved to shift, the upper part flexes, and makes contact with the lower part, creating a ground circuit for the solenoid, which then operates the vacuum servo, which then moves the clutch linkage, dis-engaging the clutch as you shift the gears. The torque converter allows the vehicle to come to a stop without dis-engaging the clutch. It's a weird set-up, but they used it for many years on the Bugs. It's one of those times when you don't want to be the guy that always has his hand resting on the shifter while he drives...it can(and usually does) cause the thing to neutralize while you're driving down the road! :Awe:

Thats just too cool!
mostly a Vdub but enough Goldwing to look snazzy
too bad the idjit fried it.
on a custom job like that there never was a wiring diagram... he should have known better and made up his own.
probly alot of same colored wires...

anyway, makes work interesting when you get something differnt to work on :D
hang in there... we all have faith you can straighten it out.

:beg:

Yeah, mostly VW. It has the frame of the Goldwing welded to the chassis of the bug, right over the top of the tunnel. It still has the E-brake handle on it! All of the controls are still functional on the bars...starter, headlights/turn sigs/horn, etc. I'm sure it was top notch when new.
They also busted the throttle/grip...pulled the cable right out of it. So I had to tear into that yesterday and have the customer get a replacement throttle/handgrip. :head bang:
I found an (aftermarket electronic)ign module for it today, so someone is supposed to go fetch it this morning. Iffin I can get the beast runnin, I'll dang sure try to ride it! I ain't a-skeered!! :smilie_happy:

Well, after 4 solid hours of :sensored: ing and moanin, I finally got all the wiring fixed, and got this bad boy fired up. :yahoo: Of course, somehow, the throttle linkage also got screwed up, so it ran at about 5000rpm. :sensored: So, I fooled with it after I got it running, and just went thru it one thing at a time and FINALLY got everything working. Mind you, the customer was standing there the entire time, actually helping. :Doh2:
So.....I got the thing running, idling, and all the wiring taped up, and...the :sensored: clutch isn't working either! :Awe: Another hour of fooling around with vacuum lines, wiring for the solenoid, and installing the linkage correctly, then adjusting the vacuum solenoid release speed, and we're in bidness! :yahoo:
Here's the really stoopid part of that. Whoever set this thing up took 12v power for the clutch servo solenoid off of...wait for it....yer never gonna believe this...the freekin POSITIVE side of the ignition coil!!! :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: Un-by-god-believable...

Anyway, the thing is gone, the customer is teed off big time(not at me, tho), and I can get on with me miserable life... :smilie_happy:

It sounded like a Bug engine with open headers. Not really loud at all, I didn't think. Just like a dune buggy. :heat:

AApple":y46u1mab said:
Whoever set this thing up took 12v power for the clutch servo solenoid off of...wait for it....yer never gonna believe this...the freekin POSITIVE side of the ignition coil!!! :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: Un-by-god-believable...
... :heat:

:smilie_happy: LMAO... The ignition coil??? What were they thinkin...

Hey guys....being THAT customer, you've no idea just how pissed off I was. I had just spent several days tearing into the VW, setting the valves, new plugs, adding a dual carb! Just as I was leaving town, the major transmission leak. When I learned the idgit hadn't even made a wiring diagram...well, the screwdiver in my hand was tempting!! I have to tell you JOEL is an absolute SAINT!! He was unbelievable in helping getting me back on the road. No doubt he has a special place in "Goldwing Heaven"! BTW Joel, the tranny is holding up, I'm headed to the Somerville rally on Wednesday. Bet you're glad I'm not standing looking over your shoulder - LOL. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Thanx for the kind werds, Mona! :blush:
Have fun on your run!! Be safe out there, too! :mrgreen:

Here's a couple more for ya. :party:

Attachments

• !BcK3cV!B2k~$(KGrHqYOKj4Eq47r00sOBKzTd!C,Pw~~_3.jpg
    !BcK3cV!B2k~$(KGrHqYOKj4Eq47r00sOBKzTd!C,Pw~~_3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 132
  • BHC9LS3_1.jpg
    BHC9LS3_1.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 126