Adding lighting (turn signal/brakes) to saddlebags.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxystaxi

Reaction score
I've got a modified GL1000 75 with saddle bags. The previous owner had running lights added to it but I would rather swap them out with lights (LED) that will turn on with braking or even have a turn signal included on them.

As of right now I feel the running lights are more noticeable and others can't see the brake light or the turning signal I have currently.

Can I just splice the wires from the current brake light wire and have them go to each saddle bag with brake light LEDs? Current brake light is a standard bulb.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8OSlIfcyCjcSzZpUW5ybW5OSW8/view?usp=sharing

Several options out there. It just depends on what you want to spend and how you want to do it. The simplest way to convert would be just a LED light bulb. My personal preference would be LED Brake/Turn ass that would make them more noticable, as you mentioned. Just remeber that if you change to LED turn signals, you will need to also change to an electronic flasher. If you don't, the light will flash too fast.

Yes you can as most LEDs use less current, just make sure the ones that you use are ultra bright for stop lights. I would reconmend swapping out your original stop/tail bulbs for LED replacements as I did on my Rats Nest with four extra lights on the Vetter top box that are both stop and tail there isn't any confusion when you hit the brakes ( 6 bulbs total)

Yes you can but if they are used for signals you will need an electronic flasher unit. Be sure to check your state law as they sometimes get weird on lighting.