Aftermarket solenoids

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkthev

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My starter solenoid is getting a little flaky. Has anyone tried the aftermarket solenoids, and if so had good luck with them. They are a lot less money than the OEM.

Anyone disassembled the OEM and cleaned contacts successfully?

electrically there is no real difference in start solenoids. There is a variance in mounting and connections. So just about any will work. From the ones found on yard tractors to those found on cars. I have opened a car solenoid but that was long ago and results were okay but not great. I personally wouldn't hesitate to install a Ford solenoid or just about any. Other bike solenoids are an option but again mounting and electrical connections will differ.

I don't remember reading anyone mentioning this but most ford style relays ground thru the case to body and hot is supplied to close the coil.
On our bikes the ground is supplied from the neutral switch or the clutch switch so when mounting the ford style relay mentioned, the stock relay ground side has to connect to the relay case and the relay isolated from the ground. If it's not then it will crank while in gear and clutch out.

Has anyone tried the solenoids on ebay for the gl's that already have the blade fuse built in and go for 10 to 15 dollars a piece. Just wondering if they were any good.

I just bought one for my 900 and I am disapointed.(Same one)
It is advertized that it is a direct fit but not so,As soon as I pluged in the 4 wire plug the fuse blew.I am told that I need to rewire the plug backwards.That fustrates me becuase I do not know foresure if that is the problem.

I may borrow the one off the wing to try it.

I went ahead and bought a Ricks Motorsport Electrics aftermarket on ebay for 25 bucks. I figured at least it has a name behind it. Will post how it works out once it gets here.

image.php

A starter solenoid for a 12V lawn tractor; what I got home from Sturgis on, which is 750 miles from my home. Took my final ride of this season yesterday and still running on it. Will be replaced over winter with a nice aftermarket job from a friend on the Goldwing Owners Forum, but it will remain part of my travelling toolbox. Good luck!

It's a real toss-up about which was stupider on such otherwise great machines, the stator clip connection or the blade fuse in the solenoid! :swoon: