Alternative alternator location, maybe.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scdmarx":29ded63v said:
cyborg":29ded63v said:
i have had an external alt. on a 1200, and have one on a 1000 that is completly hidden under the front left fairing.. one wire system. can be driven at any speed you like off of the crank. no drive shafts, couplers, welded plates. easy to do. and far cheaper then anything i've seen talked about here.

A picture would be cool. I would like a cheap easy way to do this. :Egyptian: :popcorn:
i'm all about cheap and easy. i can't do pictures, but the alt. is real hard to see anyway. i started with a pully that has a bearing in it. off a lawnmower as i recall. had it laying around. welded the bearing solid. the hole in the center of the bearing has to be the right size for the crank bolt. modified the timing covers to allow the pulley to extend with a short spacer,(piece of pipe will do), and a longer bolt. mount the alt to the front top motor mount, eather side. use a chrome chev. alt. adjusting bracket, (had one laying around), from the motormount on the oposite side to the adjusting bolt on the alt. just like its used on the car. measured the belt length with a piece of rope, went to the auto parts store and bought one. installed the belt, ran a wire from the output of the alt. to the battery. ran a wire from the ign to the field on the alt. fired up the bike and went for a ride. took the better part of a saturday, because the auto parts store was 35 miles away.

Driven off the driveshaft, Angela?

Do you have a direct link to how that's been done?
I obviously have some catching up to do.

I just wanted to say also guys this thread is about a proposed alternative alternator location so let's not get into discussing Poorboys kit or it's installation.
Poorboy has his kit and is doing fine with that.
If you'd like to talk about it start another thread.

cyborg":1rwd5f7a said:
scdmarx":1rwd5f7a said:
cyborg":1rwd5f7a said:
i have had an external alt. on a 1200, and have one on a 1000 that is completly hidden under the front left fairing.. one wire system. can be driven at any speed you like off of the crank. no drive shafts, couplers, welded plates. easy to do. and far cheaper then anything i've seen talked about here.

A picture would be cool. I would like a cheap easy way to do this. :Egyptian: :popcorn:
i'm all about cheap and easy. i can't do pictures, but the alt. is real hard to see anyway. i started with a pully that has a bearing in it. off a lawnmower as i recall. had it laying around. welded the bearing solid. the hole in the center of the bearing has to be the right size for the crank bolt. modified the timing covers to allow the pulley to extend with a short spacer,(piece of pipe will do), and a longer bolt. mount the alt to the front top motor mount, eather side. use a chrome chev. alt. adjusting bracket, (had one laying around), from the motormount on the oposite side to the adjusting bolt on the alt. just like its used on the car. measured the belt length with a piece of rope, went to the auto parts store and bought one. installed the belt, ran a wire from the output of the alt. to the battery. ran a wire from the ign to the field on the alt. fired up the bike and went for a ride. took the better part of a saturday, because the auto parts store was 35 miles away.

Sorry Dan I guess I got off topic. Was only answering ??'s about how the alts stand up to weather and also size. Sorry I was refering to PB not driven off the drivesaft. I have seen an alt that was on a project from some dum show on TV that had the Alt drive off the rear wheel. It had this stupid looking rubber wheel mounted to the alt input shaft. They clamed it worked well. Also I think the Tutles did a bike with a rubber wheel to rear wheel drive. No Chain, belt or shaft. :thanks:

dan filipi":atu86418 said:
They can rust inside just like anything else but run regularly they seem to be un bothered by rain.
Mine is behind the left fairing lower. It has gotten wet but not much. We don't get much rain here.

Im sorry that I am late here as I just rereading this post & the question wasn't fully answered. LB, have you ever lifted the hood of you car or truck after you have been driving in the rain for a while? Everything is soaked Alt, Coils, A/C etc. It would only make a diff if the alt sat a long time without dring out. In other word before you put the bike down for winter, let everything warm up to op temp first then do your oil change, etc before covering. Angela :Egyptian: :yahoo:

I was going over my work notes and i was incorrect. Putting lubricant or any fluid on a bolt reduces torque value. The liquid acts as a multiplier applying hydrolic pressure to the threads, so the proper torque from 62 would be closer to 60 to prevent undue stress to the threads.

dan filipi":8w3tkx9f said:
Driven off the driveshaft, Angela?

Do you have a direct link to how that's been done?
I obviously have some catching up to do.

I just wanted to say also guys this thread is about a proposed alternative alternator location so let's not get into discussing Poorboys kit or it's installation.
Poorboy has his kit and is doing fine with that.
If you'd like to talk about it start another thread.

Just got a notification of a new post here & got to reading this topic over again as Dan said " Driven off the driveshaft,Angela?" Well it seems I mis understiod Dan & didn't realize I had made a typo & Gave this long drawn out answer about Rubber drive direct to tire. Then I realize that it was just a dumb typo. Shouls have typed CRANKshaft not DRIVEshaft. DUH :head bang: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

After reading this entire post, I have seen not one picture or sketch of a design. If you go back & read my posts (#49 &59) you will get all the info that has brought forth the concerns stated here for the PB system. Like I mentioned if you have the engineering skills, you could even run an alternator off the rear wheel. Or maybe better yet, get rid of your old engine & in it's place build a bank of batteries that power a rear wheel mounted electric motor? :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: If you have a great idea, then get with it & do the sketches, prototypes etc out there instead of just endless chatter with no results. Like Dan did with his pully as Don did with his Alternator conversion as Raddakk did with his 4brrl conversion. :sensored: :thanks: :rant: :heat:

Latest posts