Ambient temperature guage

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Five

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have one that works? Mine reads about 25 degrees too hot. Last night I cleaned the sensor took it out of the dash, manually moved the needle sill nothing. I heated it with a cigarette lighter, and it maxed out. Placed it in a cup of ice water and it wouldn't go below 60...weird.

joedrum":22hjey0f said:
one you dont have :smilie_happy: me either :smilie_happy: :shock: :mrgreen:
Actually....I do have an ambient temp gauge....when I am out in the sun...it is hot...when I am in the shade the ambient temp drops! :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

(Sorry Five...just funnin :yes: )

No worries. There is a bank of four gauges (Air temp, voltmeter, altimeter and clock) in between the speakers on my '82 Interstate. I don't need the gauge, I know when it's hot and when it's cold. I just like for whatever is on the bike to work...call me funny :cool:

I have one and it reads high as well. I have always wondered there the sensor is because mine seems to be sensing the temp around the engine. As soon as I start up the engine the temp reading starts to climb. Mine has hit 50C or 110F when driving down the road in 85F ambient.

Five":2nedvwhy said:
...call me funny :cool:

Otay...'You're funny"..... :ahem:
:smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

Sounds like the gauge itself is toast for sure. Don't have one either. Maybe JCW?

I have one :wave:

It's handy to have, if nothing else it's entertaining to know what the temp is.
Surprising too how hot the over the road temp can get.

The sensor on mine is in a grommet in the bottom side of fairing right below the headlight.
When I got my bike I discovered the sensor had been pushed up into the fairing, temp readings were all over the place.
With it exposed like it should be it reads very accurate.

My Aspencade was stripped of any OEM stuff so of course didn't come with any air temp gauge.
I bought a digital one for acquarium (~$10). It has a probe at the end of the cable so like Dan I mounted it under side of the fairing. It seems to be fairly accurate that way even under the direct sun light.

Temp sensor location on mine,

image.php

I had one on the original faring , it was mounted at the bottom center of the faring in a clamp. It was fairly accurate....a couple of weeks ago I was getting that bike running again for my sister to sell and tge gauge was still working it is on an 80 howevwe the faring has some issues now it didn't have before and I don't do puzzels :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I have an aftermarket on my bike and it to reads about 10 degrees to high.But it is consistant so at least I know what temp it is.

Attachments

• 100 degrees.jpg
    100 degrees.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 149
I know this is an old post, but I thought add to it just in case someone else has one of these gauges that is reading inaccurately and wants to fix it. Mine was reading about 20 degrees high.

I un-crimped the bezel from the gauge body and removed the glass lens to expose the gauge face and indicator needle. I gently pried the needle off its shaft with a small screwdriver, put the gauge's sensor next to a digital thermometer, then pushed the needle back on at the correct temp. The hardest part was re-crimping the bezel to the gauge body - not pretty but it's hidden when mounted in the gauge pod.