Another carb question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusterdude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1949 panhead,1972 cb750,1980 gl1100,1985 gl1200,1998 cbr600f3 and 2003 vulcan 1600 classic
Im considering using a side draft harley type carb on my 1100,if i do this,what size carb should i use?most harley carbs are 38mm,is that too large?thanks

I've no idea how others size carbs. My habit has been to look at the cc of the machines and the typical rpm. 1100 cc V twin typically runs at a lower rpm than an 1100 four. So I'd look for a carb from a V twin in the 2000cc range. Whatever size they use is where I'd start. But this is all just my limited understanding and totally without scientific backing.

That makes sense,who might build a 2000 cc vtwin?thanks sg

Another thought ive had is,since the carb is only feeding one cylinder at a time,which on the 1100 is 275cc's,im thinking the carb should be the same size as a 275cc single cylinder engine.thoughts?

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102084#p102084:1wqfkkwk said:
Dusterdude » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:49 am[/url]":1wqfkkwk]
Another thought ive had is,since the carb is only feeding one cylinder at a time,which on the 1100 is 275cc's,im thinking the carb should be the same size as a 275cc single cylinder engine.thoughts?

It would be feeding one cylinder per one revolution. Carby volume needs to meet the engines capacity as a pump ( what volume of air is moved) so your 275cc single carby would not be adequate :(

Ok,so i would need something that could feed an 1100 cc engine?

Yes. While one cylinder is firing the carb is feeding a fuel charge to the other three. Kawasaki I know has some big V twins. Not so sure how big the Honda or Suzuki V twins are.

It seems the suzuki twins at least are using two carbs,ill have to look into the kaw and honda twins

Most bikes use 1 carb for each cylinder. However. I've seen where some have built manifolds and used just one of the two carbs. That said I think one carb off a 1600cc or larger V twin should be close enough to work if jetted right.

Cool deal sg,ill see what i can find from one of the big v twins

Cool,seeing how bike carbs are rated by size,any idea on how to figure cfm?thanks