Ansimp's '81 Resurrection

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some pics from Day 4:

The replacement carbs are nearly ready to go in.

The original carbs are completely seized up.

Anyone know a good rat urine stain remover?

Carbs in place.

They sure look better, but how will they work???

She's alive, but still in the I.C.U.

Might want to put the old rack in Dan's cleaner a couple weeks after his rack comes out. As for the stains try bathroom cleaners. Congrats on getting her wakened for a moment.

Steve is definitely keen to try Dan's carby soaking technique on the original carbs as they are frozen solid and would certainly prove his the treatment plan.

Ansimp":1v4364gp said:
Steve is definitely keen to try Dan's carby soaking technique on the original carbs as they are frozen solid and would certainly prove his the treatment plan.
Sure, bring em over next time Steve.

Actually, I'm gonna stick 'em in the brew today. I have several gallons of used, filtered ATF and plenty of old gas that I just drained out, so all I need is the diesel.

I was only able to get the cap off the #3 carb, but with the gas tank out I could maneuver them enough to remove them. She should purr later today...

If you have a couple old aquarium air pumps strap them to the tank . The vibration will help speed the process.

Day 5 - She's alive!

This morning I installed the exhaust system, rigged an external fuel supply, hooked up the jumper cables, gave her a shot of starting fluid, and...

After checking for leaks, and there were none, once more...

Sweet! No bearing, valve or chain noise, and the response is great! OK, one more time...

This is with chewed-up plug wires, oil and ATF in the cylinders, '83 plugs, 10+ years of who-knows-what in the mufflers - she will only get better! I'm very happy with the way she's runnin'!

A few pics from today: First, the external fuel supply.

The right muffler installed.

The left muffler installed.

Next - timing belts replaced, and wait for the gas tank wiring harness and brakes to arrive.

End of day 5. Woo-hoo!

:party: Once again excellent work Steve and as Alex said his carbies were good. I am really getting excited. :party:

:Egyptian: :yahoo: :clapping:
Sounds GREAT! I would, however, caution against running too much with no coolant....unless you are planning on replacing the water pump anyway. Running "dry" can damage the ceramic seal on the pump.

It do sound nice...quiet, and apparently no smoke, either! Looks like someone got a good deal on this one! :good: :popcorn:

Yup - no more runnin' until there's coolant. Now that I know the internals are good, the repairs and rebuild begins. It only had about a minute of dry run, and most was slow idle. Thanks for the heads up, Joe, Joel and Dan.

Your bikes transplant organs have made me a happy man and the resurrection is truly on the way :Egyptian:

Steve83":27leohbq said:
Day 5 - She's alive!

This morning I installed the exhaust system, rigged an external fuel supply, hooked up the jumper cables, gave her a shot of starting fluid, and...

After checking for leaks, and there were none, once more...

Sweet! No bearing, valve or chain noise, and the response is great! OK, one more time...

This is with chewed-up plug wires, oil and ATF in the cylinders, '83 plugs, 10+ years of who-knows-what in the mufflers - she will only get better! I'm very happy with the way she's runnin'!

A few pics from today: First, the external fuel supply.

The right muffler installed.

The left muffler installed.

Next - timing belts replaced, and wait for the gas tank wiring harness and brakes to arrive.

End of day 5. Woo-hoo!
Great job so far :builder: engine sounds top notch :rocks: what a great difference is having a garage instead of a parking space like I do :Awe:

Day 6 (sorry, no pics)

Started working on the brakes today. I removed the entire front and rear systems, and the only fluid present was about a teaspoon full in the rear caliper. Both master cylinders and all three calipers are seized tight! It's my understanding that a complete front system is on it's way, so I'm concentrating on the rears. I have an '80 rear system that looks in better shape than this one, but it's also seized. I should be able to get them all free, and use the best of the bunch.

I have new batteries for the camera, so there will be pics tomorrow. All progress is good!

Day 7...

A short day today - family is visiting until Tuesday. Anyway, I got the piston somewhat free in the rear master cylinder, and Tony (Ansimp) has ordered brake pads, a rear MC rebuild kit and a battery. Those, and the front brake system, fuel tank and wiring harness should be here Tuesday.

I wanted to get the timing belts done today, but it just didn't happen.

Here's the rear master cylinder. The boot was packed full of very light orange powder, rust and dried brake fluid.

I think the return port might be plugged...

It won't budge, but I have a good one. I'm gonna soak it anyway.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Latest posts