are all 1200's running perfect?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanbw

Reaction score
I just happened to notice the last time any body posted anything was july 7th? does that mean all 1200's out there are all running problem free, or does it mean all the married guys wives have banned them from the computer until they get what she wanted done finished first........crap if that's the case there will never be a post here again

Mine's running fine. Not perfect but well enough that I'm not messing with it. I do have some work planned for it later on though.

There are a lot less members here with 1200's than 1100's or 1000's too.

Also seems like there are a lot less 1200's out there than there are of the earlier models, which is kinda odd sorta.

Me, I have a 1200 engine in my 83 1100 frame that's running real good, have another 1200 fuel injected engine on a hoist.
Things to do but I'm vegging this weekend :BigGrin:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153919#p153919:1tyjc9kg said:
dan filipi » Yesterday, 8:23 pm[/url]":1tyjc9kg]
There are a lot less members here with 1200's than 1100's or 1000's too.

Also seems like there are a lot less 1200's out there than there are of the earlier models, which is kinda odd sorta.

Me, I have a 1200 engine in my 83 1100 frame that's running real good, have another 1200 fuel injected engine on a hoist.
Things to do but I'm vegging this weekend :BigGrin:

well, I am looking for a 75 or 76 naked. I had a 76 about 20 years ago and the wife made me sell it, so I got rid of it, the wife that is.... I love my 86 aspy but a naked 1000 is a blast to ride. Is odd there are fewer 1200 than 1000 or 1100.

Gotta keep what suits you, :builder: get rid of, or replace what doesn't!! :hihihi: Mine are running fine, worked most of the spring to get everything ready to ride, hope they don't need much, as spent a good bit of time & cash to set up for summer riding. :moped:

I just became a member of the 1200 club, when I put an '84 engine in my '82. Compression is down a bit so I'm putting miles on hoping it improves. If it doesn't I'll be putting rings in this winter.

Brian

I took a short ride on my 1200 wing a couple days ago but I'm not the one to ask if its running good my niece is the one you would have to talk to cause she rides my 1200 wing way more than I do

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153931#p153931:2z6jtjok said:
detdrbuzzard » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:09 pm[/url]":2z6jtjok]
I took a short ride on my 1200 wing a couple days ago but I'm not the one to ask if its running good my niece is the one you would have to talk to cause she rides my 1200 wing way more than I do
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :clapping:

Mine starts every time without the choke and runs until I turn it off? I just wish my wife didn't need to have things to make it better for her. That seems to be the only work I do to it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=153971#p153971:3m22w9vo said:
brianinpa » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:02 am[/url]":3m22w9vo]
I just wish my wife didn't need to have things to make it better for her. That seems to be the only work I do to it.
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

I picked up a 1984 GL1200A at the end of 2013. It sat for a number of years because the previous owner's health was deteriorating. He was in his 80's. Typical work was done by myself and it has run great. I'm in south Florida so the weather is good for riding year round.

After replacing the head gaskets last month, mine is running like a dream. Everyday I seem to fall in love with the old girl all over. I've owned her for a year and a half now and have never enjoyed any bike as much as my 87 GL1200A. Sure I've had to work on her, but that's to be expected of a 28 year old bike. I've done several 1000 mile + trips on her and won't hesitate to do it again. The old legs are giving out so for the safety of my wife, we put a HOBO Outrigger trike kit on her and I like it more than the wife does, although she rides with me more now.

urYcGG.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=154004#p154004:2ekvqecl said:
joedrum » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:07 am[/url]":2ekvqecl]
nice
+1 :good: Great to see that the trike kit is working well for you :clapping: :salute:

Picked up an 87 Aspencade a month ago. It sat for about 3 years after being dumped from colliding with a deer. Some cosmetic damage, but it starts easily and runs smoothly. I'm in the middle of moving to MN where it sits patiently in my shop there, so don't have time to mess with it much, but am looking forward to it. Always daydreamed about the 1200... not so much the 1000/1100 for some reason. And the price was right. But trust me, the questions will flow when I get settled! For now, I try hard to research all the posts so far, rather than ask stuff already discussed. For instance, this Seafoam/ATF info is all new to me, and I'll try to sort it all out when I tackle the carbs some day. Thanks for being available, especially in a model specific forum like this!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=157537#p157537:1fzelegt said:
Bosley Lake Forge » August 31st, 2015, 10:10 am[/url]":1fzelegt]
Picked up an 87 Aspencade a month ago. It sat for about 3 years after being dumped from colliding with a deer. Some cosmetic damage, but it starts easily and runs smoothly. I'm in the middle of moving to MN where it sits patiently in my shop there, so don't have time to mess with it much, but am looking forward to it. Always daydreamed about the 1200... not so much the 1000/1100 for some reason. And the price was right. But trust me, the questions will flow when I get settled! For now, I try hard to research all the posts so far, rather than ask stuff already discussed. For instance, this Seafoam/ATF info is all new to me, and I'll try to sort it all out when I tackle the carbs some day. Thanks for being available, especially in a model specific forum like this!
Well if it helps, here is the run down on my project, may not be what your looking for but you may find something in one of my ramblings
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9543
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9540
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9607
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=9542
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9651
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9723
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9740
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9821
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9846
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9870
That's about it except for the " Aspy's finally done post that you already saw....and thank you for the kinds words there.

Yes, the 1200s are running fine.

Here's an oddity. I just filled my 85 Interstate with non-alcoholic gas and the idle speed is now 1500 rpm vs the 1000 it had before. I'm using the alcohol free stuff and Stabil to get the bikes ready for the winter lay-up.

I still need to drain the alcoholic crap out of the 78 GL1000 and fill the tank with 100% gasoline and some Stabil before winter actually gets here. I also take the batteries out of the bikes, store the batteries in a heated garage, and charge them once a month so they are ready for Spring. The bikes are stored in the unheated side.