Baby Comes Home!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverbullet

Reaction score
After a 16 year leave I got MY Old 1978 GoldWing back! How cool is that! Honestly I never pictured me on another GoldWing. Yet this is not just another wing. This is what I started my GoldWing carear on.
Its a mess. The pictures make it look good. Chorme valve covers are shot along with my set of chrome floorboards......Heel,toe shifter....Its not good. It hasn't been run in about 5 years the owner said. Plus it only has about 14.000 miles on it since I sold it so the engine has less than 50.000 on it. Can't wait to ride her again!
I'm not real mecanically inclined so I dropped it @ our local independant shop. Its in good hands. One of the owners will be working on it he has a 75 Wing he purchased new & now has over 700.000 miles on it plus he owns 3 1000 cc Goldwings he has restored into its original look. One of them is a 76 LTD.

I need a set of aftermarket floorboards that will fit a 78 Wing. Anyone have a set let me know!

The pictures make it look a lot nicer than it is.

GEDC0856.jpg

GEDC0855.jpg

GEDC0854.jpg

It’s funny you mention naked wings, Joe. I find myself growing enamored with the looks of them and thinking about finding a project bike to
(a.) learn how to do the work on a bike that’s NOT my daily driver and
(b.) add a second wing to the stable.
No, I have not become infected with Wing fever, so STOP it!!

Mark

Congratulations Silverbullet!! That thing looks good. I bet it's back on the road in no time!

Congrats on the reunion!!! You'll be ridin in no time! :clapping: :good:

You have a lot of cleaning to do after all those years of neglect. Still it looks like a very serviceable bike. You should have it on the road in short order.

slabghost":2lic5s26 said:
You have a lot of cleaning to do after all those years of neglect. Still it looks like a very serviceable bike. You should have it on the road in short order.
If it were any other bike I wouldn't touch it. This bike has taken me to Sturgis 3 times. Big Horn mts in Wyoming, Niagra Falls & toured the Blue Ridge parkway. Just to name a few. And now has survived 3 wifes :mrgreen:
Even if I have to put $1.500 to $2.000 its worth it to me. I'll have a nice vintage touring bike I can tour the country on.
My riding buddy rides a 03 Kawasaki Voyager. His words were. Heck for that money you can have basically the same riding bike I paid $8.000 for.
I very much look forward to making a lot more memories on this bike (With its 3rd wife)and the best wife!
I never wanted to sell it. My ex wife was Ill & needed a kidney transplant. She sorta strongly suggested I sell it to help out with her medical bills. The money I got from it didn't go far anyway.
I also lost a Helix when I divorced her (I got the 95 wing) & again I have a Helix today. (Not the same one). Now if I could only get back some of the thousands of dollars she cost me in the divorce............. :rant:

I hear ya there. Three exes behind me now. If I had all the money they have cost me I could retire easily.

Good for silverbullet :cool: That GL1000 has so many memories for you. It is a must restore :clapping: I feel the same way about my 81 Interstate ! When I purchased it,back in '94 a typical 81 Wing was selling for $3500. I bought my Wing from a pawn shop for $1500 :Egyptian: :Egyptian: For that price , it was a terd :doh: I just could not afford one in great shape :sensored: My local bike shop replaced the front mastercylinder, cam belts,tires a rusted out chasis tube. She had rusty mirrors an overgrown winshield and other cosmetic issues . :whistling: $800 dollars later (total cost ) I had a great wing for $2300 :good: In 1995 I rode that Wing from Fl.- Wash. St.- Calif.-Fl. 8,000 miles :thank_you: In 97,Fl.- Maine - Fl. , 98, Fl - Calif.- Fl. I have ridden that former terd to the 4 corners of the country :moped: She never let me down :salute: I have had such great experiences on that bike, I will never sell her :rocks: