Been Absent for Awhile

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkB

Reaction score
Hi fellow Wingers!!

I’ve been absent from the Classic Goldwings scene for a few days, maybe weeks. Not that I haven’t been riding my Wing; I’ve been on it almost everyday. I have to confess, though, to having some brief flirtations with the idea of building a chopper. Yeah, I know….

Maybe it’s a mid-life crisis kind of thing (seen that Mayhem commercial with the chopper?) or whatever, but I have been having so much fun on two wheels that I’ve become fascinated with something lighter and more nimble than my Wing . Maybe a little better gas mileage would be a good thing, too. I flirted with the idea of building a bike, but to tell the truth, I have no appreciable skills for that sort of thing. I sure wasted a lot of time living vicariously through some people that have out of this world skills, though. I found the people on the forums I visited to be not real personable, though and was in fact kind of repulsed by the characters I witnessed there. I realize they aren’t all like that, but there was a lot of foul language and attitudes I just don’t care to expose myself to.

I’ve more or less come back to Earth, though and trying to get caught up with all the goings on around here. Most notably, I’d like to refer to Joe’s recent health issues and say that I’m praying for you, buddy and I hope you find relief.

I’m still enthralled with a newer and lighter bike to ride, especially since I want to do some major projects on my Wing that might take it down for awhile. I might have to wait until the riding season is over to find a real deal, but I’m going to start thinking toward that direction. OTOH, if a smoking deal on a 1500 came my way, I’d give some serious consideration to making my 1100 a naked Wing and running it that way.

The only thing I know for sure is; I really am much happier on two wheels, as a rule. Be it a bicycle, or a motorcycle, I prefer to have my face in the wind.

Mark

Thanks, guys, for the kind words. I suffer a lot from visions of grandeur.

Glad to be back where people are appreciated and don't get knocked for one reason or another.

Mark

Good to see your back sir, Joe's a rock, he's gonna get better.. I have found the fella's on this site to be pretty darn cool, it's a great site, I was welcomed from day one, and I have never felt unwelcome or kicked to the curb.. What I'm saying here is that there are no over powering ego's to deal with here...A guy or gal can ask a silly question if he/she wants without being slapped down ..Beside, this is where all the crazies are anyway...ha ha

Welcome back Mark!

Yeah we have a good group here like Beav says, and that includes you because you are part of the group.

I think we all have a common goal, to keep these old girls running on a small budget or no budget at all.
It seems like it's worked out pretty well for everyone.

dan filipi":1bn1hp6k said:
Welcome back Mark!

Yeah we have a good group here like Beav says, and that includes you because you are part of the group.

I think we all have a common goal, to keep these old girls running on a small budget or no budget at all.
It seems like it's worked out pretty well for everyone.

In all the years I’ve been using public forums, excepting the last years I was on Usenet, I have been really blessed to be in groups where I considered the other users friends. I’ve usually been lucky enough to meet a few in person, too, which makes it fun. This last forum I spent way too much time on was something else.

The guys there were really skilled craftsmen and could literally work miracles in steel and rubber, but I couldn’t hang with the language usage and the tirades some would fly off into. It’s just not called for. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no prude and can bust out a cussing tirade as good as the next guy. There’s a time and a place, though and IMHO, a public forum is not the place.

I do appreciate this forum and the good natured folk that hang out here. Your willingness to help me keep this old bird running is greatly appreciated. I’m not a skilled mechanic, but I think with all the information here, I can do about anything.

Mark

Mark,
Today I'm living my dream. I've got my GoldWing back after 16 years. Enjoy a 98 Helix & havin a blast with my 650 Burgman. And if I want to dull it up a bit I can ride my wife's Mini Trike. Never in my life have I ever had such a varity of 2 wheel FUN machines. And to think I was thinking of selling the Burgman. I think I will continue to enjoy it rather than chance it coming back in 16 years.

Don't ever stop chasing your dreams, Wether its a chopper or a scooter. Its your life.
And when the chance comes upon you. Live it!

Welcome back Mark.Flirt with choppers all you like. I've yet to see one I could actually ride. They are pretty much built for straight line riding and there's not much fun in that.

Omega Man":sgr1b5me said:
:nea: Nope, Marks got ta go! It's one thing to abandon us, but to commit the sin of forsaking one's Wing, Nea! .........a chopper :hihihi:

:thank_you:

~O~

Oh Heaven's no! Big misunderstanding!!!! I would never give up my Wing for a chopper. I wanted a chop just as a toy to tinker with and fair weather putt around. Not my main ride!! I love my Wing, but she needs a stable mate, I'm thinking!

Slab: I hear you, but I really didn't want one of those mile long chops; I was interested in something a person could ride. I was lusting after more of a "short chop", with pretty conservative rake. The bottom line is, I don't have the skill set to build one and I certainly don't have deep enough pockets to pay somebody else, so it's really nothing more than a pipe dream.

Mark

Look for a used Vulcan 750. They are a nice chopper style bike that is both rideable and have good power.

MarkB":3mu079u5 said:
Omega Man":3mu079u5 said:
:nea: Nope, Marks got ta go! It's one thing to abandon us, but to commit the sin of forsaking one's Wing, Nea! .........a chopper :hihihi:

:thank_you:

~O~

Oh Heaven's no! Big misunderstanding!!!! I would never give up my Wing for a chopper. I wanted a chop just as a toy to tinker with and fair weather putt around. Not my main ride!! I love my Wing, but she needs a stable mate, I'm thinking!

Slab: I hear you, but I really didn't want one of those mile long chops; I was interested in something a person could ride. I was lusting after more of a "short chop", with pretty conservative rake. The bottom line is, I don't have the skill set to build one and I certainly don't have deep enough pockets to pay somebody else, so it's really nothing more than a pipe dream.

Mark

Here is my chopper - the Grandkids Love it !! 50 cc but goes like a bat outa (you know where)

Attachments

• Mike's 008.jpg
    Mike's 008.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 111
welcome back mark, i find my vt1100 shadow spirit hits the spot for a light and agile bike and at 46 mpg it is fun to ride. for long haul nothing beats my 86 aspy sei, i do love it. still working on my 75 wing hope to get it running right very soon.

1060dsl":v8ghnfca said:
Here is my chopper - the Grandkids Love it !! 50 cc but goes like a bat outa (you know where)

Funny, the thing that got me on the whole chopper kick was this:

hk2009200.jpg

There were videos of a kid riding one around town, shot from on board and they were so trippy. The suicide shift looked cool and I was stoked to get one. They're a hassle to license, though and they're not all that cheap. Useless for freeway commuting... Still, I lusted a little. :yes:

Mark

dan filipi":1wm52nwt said:
Would be fun.
Heck anything on 2 wheels is fun!

Very true!! I still might try to cobble together a runaroundtown bike, just for fun someday. My Wing has my full attention, though.

Mark