Best SCC setup thus far??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's Christmas in July! I came home to this on my front porch. I wasn't expecting it until Thursday. Too bad we are leaving on vacation this week. I need to get my carb, and rebuild kit asap now.

Attachments

• IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 108
Watching this thread with interest, but curious on logic of picking a particular model of Solex carb, as I'm very unfamiliar with all the differences. My limited research seems to show that the 30 pict 1 is a favorite of the VW guys, I'm guessing because of its pre-emissions status, but not sure. Is there one that is a better fit for the Goldwing motors?

Pic 3 has proven to do very nicely on many. The single solex carbs seem the easiest to set up for our old bikes. Other carbs can be made to function well but take a bit of trial and error adjustments as all are a bit different.

Pre emission carb in its most simplistic form is the best one to get.
Any time a device or channel has been added like vacuum pull offs or hidden "power valves", the workings of the carb have been complicated making it that much harder to set up right.

I've read where a 34 Pict 3 may be too big of a carb for the 1000. I'm not sure I believe that. I've also seen a lot of different options proven to work with just a little bit of adjustment.

The 34 Pict 3 is a big carb, but it can be adjusted to do just what you want it to do. The nice thing about it, there is the idle jet, the main jet, and the acceleration pump. Once those three things are working together, it's time to cruise.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192714#p192714:2lptuxpn said:
brianinpa » 53 minutes ago[/url]":2lptuxpn]
I've read where a 34 Pict 3 may be too big of a carb for the 1000. I'm not sure I believe that. I've also seen a lot of different options proven to work with just a little bit of adjustment.

The 34 Pict 3 is a big carb, but it can be adjusted to do just what you want it to do. The nice thing about it, there is the idle jet, the main jet, and the acceleration pump. Once those three things are working together, it's time to cruise.

Sounds like a very simplistic carb. For my own reference tomorrow when I meet this guy, is there any definite way to determine a 34 from a 30? Just don't want to end up buying the wrong thing.

I am in possession of a 34 Pict 3 carburetor. It is pretty grimey from sitting for what I guess is over 40 years. I rubbed some dirt off the side to expose the "34 Pict 3" on the side and below it says "Made in W-Germany"

I am leaving for a weeks vacation with the family tomorrow so I'll get my rebuild kit lined up and start cleaning when I get back. It will get a good cleaning with spray cleaner and a brass brush on the outside and inspect/clean passages from there. I'll post pics when I get to that part of the project.

I took a brush to the side to clean it up a bit and this is what it is...

Attachments

• IMG_20170705_195014321_zpsp6ubim8h.JPG
    IMG_20170705_195014321_zpsp6ubim8h.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20170705_195159869_zpsxyijwqfp.JPG
    IMG_20170705_195159869_zpsxyijwqfp.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 120

Latest posts