Big Sur ride October 14,15

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started prepping for the trip in earnest.

Going to change the fuel filter, send some carb cleaner down through the air intake to give the throttle plates a little cleaning, balance the cylinder banks, and install two extra driving lights (gets lighter later and darker sooner). Have updated the original tool kit with what I need.

Starting to lay out clothing, wet weather and camping gear, bike 1/2 cover, and other items. Once I feel I have got the 98% solution will load the bike and adjust for weight distribution as well.

Have also been considering a trailer hitch rack for items such as the bike 1/2 cover, wet weather gear, etc. Would make this out of aluminum so it would be light weight. Got the idea from Peter Sever out of Toronto, ON. He used his for the bike cover and a chain he had to secure his bike against theft. Great Blog, have a read. Here are pictures of the box that fit into a trailer hitch, doesn't have to be big:
New chain box.jpg
Trailer hitch rack.jpg
A trip to Princess Auto is in order. If it gets done before I leave great, if not, will be a project for later.

Going to be a good week. Cheers

More prep work done today. Fuel filter changed. Lots of brown fluid coming out of the replaced filter. Think there is some crud in the tank, but will wait until I get back to address - no fuel issues right now. There was an OEM filter on the bike when I bought it and I surmise that it probably had been there a while, also don't know how long it might have been laid up (or not).

Sleeping cot came in today. Will put together as a trial run before I leave next week.

Trailer hitch rack built today. Made out of 1 1/2" aluminum angle with a tongue of 1 1/4" aluminum bar. Picked up a small tool box that will do the trick for now. Will look at this when I get back - good project for the winter months. Good use of the trailer hitch if not pulling one.

Here are some pics of the trailer hitch rack.

Tool box being used:
Rack Tool Box.jpg
Small box 16" by 6" by 6"
Trailer hitch rack:
Rack Tool Box 5.jpg

Rack and box installed on trailer hitch:
Rack Tool Box 4.jpg
Rack Tool Box 3.jpg

have to address lighting because the brake lights are partially blocked. Have an idea for this.

More to follow.

Just did a quick tuning. Sprayed carb cleaner down the intakes to give the throttle plates a cleaning, then balanced the cylinder banks. Took it out for a road test and set the idle. Drilled the hole for the hitch rack for the securing pin and installed, a little extra space for those may not need but nice to bring items.

Put the sleeping cot together this afternoon, going to work well - keeps you off the ground.

Couple of electrical requirements for heated gear, and new driving lights and she is ready to go.

Cheers

I don't think I've ever done this much pre-flight prep before a ride. I normally start throwing things together a day or so beforehand. Granted, my road trip gear stays in one spot and is easy to load up. Too much focus makes me nervous. Heck, I'm getting nervous and am not even going on this ride!

Enjoy it, guys. Beautiful time of year for it. Gloves, scarves and long johns in the morning. Sweat in the afternoon.

Nothing like a trip to make you take care of all the items you have been putting off. Once all this is taken care of can get onto some real maintenance like front fork oil change, gas tank cleaning, redo of the wiring so it looks better.

Always something to do. Have to have the bike ready for a good trip next year across Canada, and down to wingding and back. This and riding in between.

Life is good.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196555#p196555:kcyi69yz said:
desertrefugee » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:38 pm[/url]":kcyi69yz]
I don't think I've ever done this much pre-flight prep before a ride. I normally start throwing things together a day or so beforehand. Granted, my road trip gear stays in one spot and is easy to load up. Too much focus makes me nervous. Heck, I'm getting nervous and am not even going on this ride!

Enjoy it, guys. Beautiful time of year for it. Gloves, scarves and long johns in the morning. Sweat in the afternoon.

That's me too :smilie_happy:

Throw stuff together and go is usually how I do it too, but this ride is different.
It’s the first long ride my son has ever done on a bike by himself, same for my daughters boyfriend, so I’m having to watch out for them too.
Ernest will be riding over 1200 miles each way, his wife flying here to LA to ride back with him.

Yeah takes a little planning.

I asked a very good friend about what I should do before a long trip. He had done a lot with his Mrs and friends after he retired. He told me to do all the maintenance that was practical, load up and then you have VISA.

I have put together a tool kit that will allow me to tighten nuts and bolts and get to things if I have to - it's the Honda kit that came with the bike with a few specials added. The only spare part that I am bringing is a spare alternator belt.

Going to be a great trip.

Cheers

As for the machine, I always figure distance to be travelled - say 2500 miles - won't be any different on the road than closer to home. I do tha same preventative things I'd do anyway. Except tires maybe. I never leave out with iffy tires.

You guys are on Goldwings. Well tended Goldwings. This will be one for the ages!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196568#p196568:yoveptct said:
desertrefugee » 56 minutes ago[/url]":yoveptct]
As for the machine, I always figure distance to be travelled - say 2500 miles - won't be any different on the road than closer to home. I do tha same preventative things I'd do anyway. Except tires maybe. I never leave out with iffy tires.

You guys are on Goldwings. Well tended Goldwings. This will be one for the ages!

We're going to meet up, tell war stories/lies, dissect the world, put it back together and all will be well in the universe!!

Latest posts