Big Sur ride October 14,15

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished up the bike today. Installed new driving lights, trailer hitch rack and lighting, and heated clothing connection.

Installed additional driving because of time of year - probably start in dark/dawn and end dusk/dark on the way down. Be going out tonight to set these lights up and do a road test.

The trailer hitch rack is a five wire hookup, but I'm hooking the tail light and brake light wires together - really want the brake light to be as noticeable as possible. Wanted to see what this would look like and perform. If it survives the trip - all LEDs continue to work, thinking a second light strip on the rack and have both work together at the same time, never have enough lighting. The LED light strip was inexpensive at about $13.00 CDN on Amazon.

Heard that a sheepskin keeps you warm and cool depending on time of year. Sonya had this one just because so we are going to try it out. Also compliments the bike's colour scheme.

While I was doing the install of lights and wiring I also drained the fuel tank and put in 3 jugs of Metal Rescue because the tank needs a good cleaning/rust removal. Had read on some threads that it works so I tried it. Left it for 24 hours then drained. Mixed thoughts on the effectiveness. Took out the sending unit as well and used shop vac to get rid of some of the crud. When I get back from down south will be scheduling a gas tank removal/cleaning. Been riding like this for two years so a couple of more weeks won't hurt. Didn't realize how dirty the tank was - ignorance is bliss so they say.

Sonya found an old sheepskin so that will be on the ride as well:
Sheepskin.jpg

Additional/new driving lights - lower:
New driving lights.jpg

Trailer hitch rack - light on - want people to see the bike:
Trailer Hitch rack w-;ight.jpg

3 more sleeps then on the road again! :music:

Cheers

Time to head south. Went for coffee at 0615 this morning - 6.9 deg C (44 deg F). Has warmed up to almost 10 deg C (50 deg C). Took almost 20 miles to get bike warmed up. Heated gear will be the order of the day on Tuesday/Wednesday - liner and gloves.

Want to get through Grants Pass without incident, meaning no snow.

Cheers

Weather calling for Friday 81 and sunny here at home, 70 and sunny in Big Sur with 50 low.
Damn near perfect.

Grants Pass for Erny coming south is calling for cloudy 60-70 high Tuesday but dry. Nice.

Dry run for packing, making sure all is going to fit. Looking at the weather out the door, 7 deg C, and foggy. Hoping this goes away, but if not, crisp and refreshing ride coming up.

Should be at Grants Pass to overnight tomorrow. Two passes to meander through, should be okay. If I was riding the 1800 no worries, has a CT mud and snow on the rear - Canadian winters you know.

One more sleep! :clapping: :clapping:

Cheers

Ride going good, weather is fantastic!

More updates and pics later. Hope we have cell service at the campground.

A couple pics for now...

McDonald’s in Gorman to meet up with Erny,

image.php

Gassing up near Bakersfield,

image.php

Good to see that Erny is not checking his Facebook status.. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
Great pics Dan. Have a great time. :yes: :moped: :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196772#p196772:3fbn3qa4 said:
PurpleGL1200I » Yesterday, 9:14 pm[/url]":3fbn3qa4]
From the picture, gasoline is $3.49 a gallon?!!! It's $2.26 here around St Louis.
Yeah, instead of $10 to fillup, it might be $13.50! :BigGrin:

A little ride report. More later with pics.

By about 5 pm yesterday, the ride to LA was finished.

Skiri checked in he was home safe.

Erny was heading for the shower after we added a sense wire to the new alternator direct from the battery. I wouldn’t have thought a 3 wire alternator would work without a sense wire but it did fine anyway the entire ride.

Alex and Brent beat us to my house by about 10 minutes. Would have been more but they took the wrong freeway and had to double back lol.

By 6:30 or so, Erny’s wife was here from the Burbank airport, and we had a pizza order on the way.

Everyone was in good spirits the whole ride. Was a great trip!

Thanks Joe. LOL
Editing/uploading onboard video I took with my Chinese dash cam.

I had a radiator fan coming on at the I-5 hill climb on the way back following Erny.
The temp gauge went a bit higher than the notch but not past half way...
Again is this normal?

I smelled the coolant burning and kinda panicked.
It turned out to be an old pickup truck spewing it. Phew..

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196811#p196811:cgmvybax said:
skiri251 » 2 minutes ago[/url]":cgmvybax]
Thanks Joe. LOL

I had a radiator fan coming on at the I-5 hill climb on the way back following Erny.
Again is this normal?

Air temp was about 90 but still we were moving at 65-70 mph. There should have been enough air flow. Mine was below the gauge center line. Might want to add the air panels to sides of the radiator that direct air into the radiator. Makes a big difference.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196812#p196812:34vwaivi said:
dan filipi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:17 am[/url]":34vwaivi]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196811#p196811:34vwaivi said:
skiri251 » 2 minutes ago[/url]":34vwaivi]
Thanks Joe. LOL

Again is this normal?

Air temp was about 90 but still we were moving at 65-70 mph. There should have been enough air flow. Mine was below the gauge center line. Might want to add the air panels to sides of the radiator that direct air into the radiator. Makes a big difference.

Mine was below the center line too.
Just a bit above that notch where the fan comes on.
Did your fan come on there?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196815#p196815:25f74g72 said:
dan filipi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:58 am[/url]":25f74g72]
My fan didn’t come on.

I see.
It could be that acting up temp sensor for the fan but I will attach the air panels.
I guess I should replace the sensor and flush the radiator too..

Latest posts