Bluetooth Intercoms

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piper

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me solicit everyone's opinion that have experience with bluetooth intercoms. Almost all of my riding is two up and I really like being able to converse with my passenger. I have an old Nady MRC-11 that was still new in the box when I got back into biking but I don't like all the wires running around and the headsets don't stay in the helmets very well. Also, above 50 or so the wind noise makes it hard to communicate. The idea of listening to music from the Ipod is also kind of appealing.
Sena seems to get pretty good ratings on Amazon.com but it is kind of late in the year to spend almost $300 for an intercom.
There is also one by GSI for around $120 that gets decent ratings and has the dual speakers in the helmet but like most of you I'm sure, I have been burned by trying to go cheap. Of course I have also been pleasantly surprised going cheap, but not often.
I know that above 65 mph, they all have problems with wind noise but most of our riding is around 55 or less.

All opinions appreciated.............

Dave

Dave I'm with you. I know pretty much what I want for communications.. but dont have any idea on how to achive it...
I like the idea of wireless even considering will need to add some batteries to the headsets somewhere.
I would like clear communications with the passenger, mp3/ipod compatability, and I would like to add our chapter still uses CB for communication between bikes. but I am sure a small handheld unit would work well as bike to bike communications while riding with the group.
I wonder if all this couldnt be achived through a stereo unit.

Thanks JD, it looks like there is not a lot of experience in the group with these things. I have a cb mounted in the right fairing panel but I haven't ridden in a group enough to use it. Matter of fact, I don't even leave the mic on it because it is magnetically mounted and falls down if I hit any kind of serious bump. Gotta come up with a better mounting for it.
I'll probably just research it more over the winter or maybe just bite the bullet and get the Sena model as it seems like it gets the best ratings for the price.
If I can manage to get out of here before the end of Oct I am going to ride it down to Phoenix and am thinking it would be nice to have the cell phone and music connected in the helmet.

2ze0cax.jpg

I know I can accomplish all the things I want in a wired unit.
and I'm thinking the constant use of the bluetooth will put a strain on the batteries fairly fast..
maybe the answer to my problems is to build the system myself and use good connectors, and good strechy cord...
I used to buy this stuff for CB microphones... it would strech to 11ft. and stay flexable in very very cold weather...

also the wired solution is MUCH cheaper.
I have lots of room in my fairing now that all the radio is mounted in the box above the handlebars..
I'm sure a bluetoothe unit could be incorperated into the wired system just so you could talk on the cell...
although our chapter is quite strick about using the phone while any driving.

I agree with your chapter's policy about not using the phone while driving and almost never do it, and if I do, it's just long enough to tell somebody I will call them back. I cringe when I see the people driving in high intensity bumper to bumper 70 mph situations while talking on the phone or even worse, texting.

Talk time is after the ride. No intercom or radio distractions for me. I like to enjoy the peace of the ride.

When I ride by myself I hardly ever, as in never, have the radio on and like you, just enjoy the ride but now it is essential for me to keep the other half involved and it's nice to be able to converse in a normal voice. She even points out potential hazards. She had her own Silverwing for a long time and is a pretty experienced rider and knows what to look for. Back when I rode in a group of about 15 bikes, some of us had CB's and would always make sure the front and back bikes had radios because there were a couple Harley Sportsters along that had peanut gas tanks and had to stop for gas or a breakdown every hour or so.