Boxer Engines

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=207807#p207807:27ifc5ta said:
desertrefugee » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:36 am[/url]":27ifc5ta]
Viva internal combustion. Down with Tesla!
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

When watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG89aNWk1SY

Go towards the end while the engine is running at speed and you can hear the blowers running. Now picture two of them sided by side and that was the power on this tug!

Attachments

• Bart Turecamo.jpg
    Bart Turecamo.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 95
Boxers not mentioned- FRANKLIN... the Franklin Aircraft Engine makes engines in the same category as Lycoming.

The Franklin O-355 was used in many aircraft and helicopters, and was used as the basis for the Tucker Torpedo.

Other boxers include the four-cylinder miltary 4A032, 4A084 engines used in generators and other things... it was modular, so they made opposed twins and singles from same parts, too.

Other opposed twins... the MAYTAG two-stroke opposed twin... but unlike most opposed twins, the pistons were NOT at TDC at the same time. Opposed 4-stroke twins had both at TDC... one on power stroke, one on exhaust/intake stroke... so firing every 360 degrees... but being a two-stroke, the Maytag had pistons moving together, and firing every 180 degrees. They shake a bit. ;-)

Here's another interesting tidbit:

The Fairbanks-Morse Opposed Piston engine- what most people don't realize, is that the upper crankshaft develops only a very small amount of horsepower... the lower crankshaft develops most... and most gearheads have a difficulty understanding this. You'd THINK that both would generate the same, right?

The F-M engine's upper piston is not so much a piston, as it is a 'moving combustion chamber', a 'displacer', and an 'inside out' sleeve valve. The crankshafts aren't perfectly in synch... the top crankshaft's strokeis much shorter, and 'leads' the bottom by 12 degrees. The exhaust port is in the sleeve of the lower, while intake is in the sleeve of the upper. Injection occurs at 6 degrees... exactly between the dead-centering of the two pistons. End result is that AFTER the injection event and compression-ignition occur, the lower crankshaft is converting much more cylinder pressure into motion, than the top.
The cool part, is that unlike a typical ported two-stroke single-piston design, Exhaust and intake air timing is totally independant... the upper piston's port can be placed ANYWHERE, as can the bottom, so that exhaust opening/closing and intake opening/closing can be basically wherever the engineers desire. The F-M OP engine, as a result, was 'tuned' to be extremely efficient at it's intended working speed... and it was.

Next up- the most drastic 'boxer' motor out there... multi-bank radials. Here's a few:

Lycoming XR-7755... 8 cylinders per bank, 4 banks, for 36 cylinders... 7620 cubic inches...
the Pratt & Whitney R4360 Wasp...
Smaller R2800 Double Wasp--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F-afXhEykU
(I love how all the guys are standing up close looking, and step closer as they're going through the pre-start test grinding...
Notice that the test stand op isn't willing to go more than about a quarter-throttle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyPvpdy4dgg
A neat cutaway in motion... with engine sound included....

I had the opportunity to own a P&W 4360 when I was living in Savannah, GA twenty years ago. I had no way to transport it, and no way to support it once I got it home. I wish I could weld, I would've built a stand for it.

I did buy a military surplus 4A032 engine from Saturn Surplus back then. A really neat little boxer. I removed all the army green paint, polished the aluminum parts, and painted the steel shrouding black. It had an electric starter and dual mufflers, and ran sweet and smooth. I never used it on anything, and sold it when I moved. I believe Saturn Surplus still has some of these, but they have gone way up in price. I'd love to put one in a golf cart! Or a Wing engine would be fun...

A total different engine ......... the MAZDA Rotary engine ..........
With the 787B Mazda won in 1991 the 24hr of Le Mans race with a rotary engine against the pistons of Porsche, Audi etc........ :smilie_happy:
After this victory Mazda was excluded for further 24hr of Le Mans races in the future........ :rant:

https://youtu.be/Bpne1Vhhwkg?t=466

The Wankel Rotary sang a beautiful song... My dad had an '83 RX-7 with a 12A, and it revved so free... that the redline was 'simply a suggestion'... it had the torque curve of a turbine ;-) The later RX used the 13B, IIRC who's roots were actually earlier... I always wanted to take three 12A motors and find a way to put five rotors in sequence... with five turbochargers... into something light... like an AC Cobra kit car chassis... and a 3.08 rearend and a 6-speed transmission... that'd be a WHOLE LOTTA stupid in that right pedal... :eek:k:

I have in my collection... a tiny single rotor Sachs Wankel rotary... AIR COOLED... runs on premix. Dunno what the heck I'll ever do with it, but it's cool.

And I just happen to have a 4A032... i was considering giving it a very serious workover and putting it in a very large model aircraft... but I don't know why i was thinking that... i don't fly the RC aircraft I have... :whistling: And I'm pretty certain a Stihl MS880 engine would outperform it. Perhaps if I could find a tiny 5-speed transmission, I could mount it in a strong bicycle frame, with a springer front end... and call it 'old school'...

The RX-7....indeed it is a fantastic concept with it's rotary engine......
Since 2009 I own its successor, a Mazda RX-8 Reneis HP.......it is a fantastic car.......I am very happy with it......I premix with this car too (besides the std Oil Metering Pump), to extend the engine's life due to better lubrication, which is the weak point of a rotary engine.....

WP_20180824_12_55_55_Pro.jpg

Video of a mini rotary engine with clear see-through sidewall to observe the combustion process....

https://youtu.be/pCteBhr4dGY?t=332

Best regards, Ruud

Dad sold snowmobiles in the late '60s and early '70s. Skiroule, Harley Davidson, Ski Daddler and worked on all makes and models. The Skiroule in 1974 had a wankel rotary engine. Quite the innovation.